1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tornados!!!!

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Martin, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been several tornados here in Southeastern North Carolina this morning. One has killed over five people, another hit near a golf course (not sure about damage, etc, at this time). The deadly tornado hit near the Delco (Riegelwood) area. Other tornados were reported in Clarkton and Elizabethtown (all in SE NC) areas. This covers Bladen and Columbus counties. If you are familiar with Wilmington, NC, Riegelwood is less than twenty or so minutes north of there. We are not having tornados where I am (at least not yet). All of eastern North Carolina is under a tornado watch until about 3pm this afternoon.

Tornados are not that un-common around these parts however such deadly tornados are slightly rare. Back in the '90s a lady was killed a few miles from where I live when a tornado hit her home but nothing else was damaged. In fact I drove right up to a tornado in May of 2000. It was small and I was able to do a "state trooper" move and speed away (not advised). It was moving the same direction I was through a field that was in front of me, so I was able to go in the other direction.

Link

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    man, I don't know if I could do what you did, martin. I am deathly scared of tornados. those things have this curious habit of touching down at night I think they love the dark !
    I've been thru an 7.5 or something more or less earthquake in my country like twenty or so years ago, saw the pavement rise up in front of me and a twentysome story hotel building come crashing down like a deck of cards.
    We fell off a hundred and twenty foot absolute vertical cliff with cyanide blackened waters at the bottom back in '69.
    I've been thru gang riots and knife fights and club fights and all that silly stupid stuff in my youth, and some scary things all throughout my worthless life.
    But of all things that scare me most top of the list is tornados, I don't care what size, and lightningstorms, never mind the intensity, and they come packaged in bad weather like you had.
    Give me a snowstorm anytime, man.
    That's why we moved up here to the Buffalo area.
    I hope you stay okay, and your family.
    I'm sorry to hear about those poor people.

3. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

And how many feet of snow do you get a year? My b-i-l left lake effect snow for Las Vegas.

There's no place completely secure. And I can say that, having grown up in Los Angeles then lived in the tornado alley of Oklahoma/Texas. Wouldn't trade either for frigid cold and snow, nor coastal warmth and water. Will find contentment where God leads.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    don't know 'bout how many feet of snow, but a friend here says that back in the 90's they had this blizzard and after the blizzard he was walking up and down the streets of the city to his place of work when he fell off an enbankment.
    turned out the embankment was a Ford truck all covered up with snow.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last major "snow" storm we had here was in 2000. What made it so bad was that the night before the tv said only a dusting of snow. Well I was awakened at 6am when someone called me and told me to look outside. There was about 4 or 5 inches of snow. Some dusting. I had not gone to the grocery store or anything. All I had was popcorn, eggs, hotdogs, maybe some bread, and some cream of chicken soup. I ate very little for about a day or so. Back in 2004 we had a major ice storm. Again I was home alone. However this time I was prepared and ready to go. What I had not prepared for was the power going out around 10pm and staying out till about 5am. I did not have any batteries for my radio. So I had to listen to my walkman's radio which could only pick up a local tv station. They played a bunch of horrible reality shows. It was nice to see that my discomfort did not bother my dog. She sleep all night long, I did not sleep until the power came back on. She died that spring so I guess I can't hold a grudge, but I just bet my current dog would do the same thing.

6. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Many people believe that tornado season occurs only during the spring and early summer, but there is also a secondary seaon during the fall. They can, however, occur any time of the day, month, or year. Although the United States gets the most tornadoes (average 1,000 per year), they have struck other countires, such as France, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Russia, China, Japan, India, and Israel.

I live in Indiana. We were hit by a tornado outbreak in 2002. One of them, an F3, touched down in Morgan County and traveled 114 miles, one of the longest tracks in Indiana history. Last year, another tornado outbreak occurred in southen Indiana and destroyed a trailer park, killing 22 people.

:praying:

7. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I live in West Tennessee and tornados are not uncommon around here at all. I've from East TN where they are rare. I've lived here since 83 and have been very close to many. We had an F3 in 1999, F4 in 2003 and several smaller ones touch down each year. In 2003 it was devastating to Jackson, TN. Between tornados and living close to a fault line....I'd prefer to move one day!! lol....:BangHead: