1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Total Depravity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Timtoolman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

James by the way has a nice one, that is where got the idea. I am in the process of answering them. Actually I agree with them, just don't find that they contradict what I believe and do not pt to man totally unable to respond.

It seems Me4Him has answered most of them though.

[ February 23, 2006, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Timtoolman ]

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it doesn't. One of the explanations quoted earlier was absolutely superb on this very point... did you read it?

Man doesn't lack faculties... I think was the way it was put.

That is one reason I don't like the word "inability". It implies that God has limited the person or is the cause of that limitation- He isn't.

3. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

No it doesn't. One of the explanations quoted earlier was absolutely superb on this very point... did you read it?

That is one reason I don't like the word "inability". It implies that God has limited the person or is the cause of that limitation- He isn't.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah I read that Scott but I didn't concentrate on it because it was a qoute from someone and not scripture. I am haveing a hard time keeping up. I am on my third time right now reading through this thread.
    If depravity is shown to not be total inability then I would think thay you would have to agree that if man does not have inablility, then he can be saved without the other pts of UconE and Irrs. Grace?

Unless I miss understand isn't he saying that total corrpution is or makes total inability. We are back to step one. Does depravity mean total unability. Has it infected every part of man but yet not destroyed all. It seems like it is saying what it just spent 4 paragraphs to not say?

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

</font>[/QUOTE]Yeah I read that Scott but I didn't concentrate on it because it was a qoute from someone and not scripture.</font>[/QUOTE]
    It was an explanation of man's condition as given in scripture by a very wise and understanding theologian. If you want to know what we believe rather than continuing to argue against things we don't believe- you have to pay more attention to explanations like this.
    Nope. That's the catch.

Man won't (as in "will" not) because he has no motive within him that is "good". So while he "may" at any time, he never "will" until God regenerates his spirit giving him a new will with which to choose good.

I would say that total corruption "makes" total unwillingness, inhospitality, antagonism,... "enmity".
    The effective result is the same but my answer is no. Depravity does not result in people being "unable" to make moral judgments. Man's faculties are not defective or prevented by God from making good choices. God doesn't have to do a single thing to make man fatally, obstinately unwilling... He has to perform a miracle to free man to be willing.

It is man's will that is so corrupted by sin that he cannot make any "good" contribution to his own salvation... to include a "good" decision, until God performs the miracle of regeneration upon him.

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't have to. Scripture tells us why those who do- do.

God elected them. He regenerates them. He quickens their dead spirit... opens their blinded eyes... gives them ears to hear. Repeatedly, God gives Himself credit for the difference.
    Yes man is responsible.

Yes. God's good and man's evil are mutually exclusive.

Yes.

Yes

Does that sound like someone who a) can blame God for his state or b) has any good will in him whatsoever that would cause him to reconcile himself to God?

NO.

The thing is none of the texts you cite demonstrates that man will do good or choose good. You make a great case for why man is lost, depraved, and hopeless... but you fail to show any reason why such a person would in their own goodness choose the salvation offered in Christ.

6. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Scott, to me they are as plain as day. Let me ask you this. You saying that man is not unable but is unwilling, yet we see several things in scripture that says otherwise.

Why did Paul so often "reason" with the jews from scriptures to PROVE that Jesus was the Messiah? Acts 17:2-4 Why did he attempt to "persusde men" (2 cor 5:11) and beg people to be "reconicled to God"?(2Cor 5:20) Why do we read in Acts 28:24 (as Paul reasoned with the jews about Jesus)"And some were being persuaded by the things spoken, but others would not believe" Why did Paul write "I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some" (1Cor 9:22) And Why did he write that the Jews hindered him from "speaking to the Gentiles THAT THEY MIGHT BE SAVED. (1 Thes. 2:16)?
    Apparently Paul believed that what he said and did affected the results of his evangelism, becasue people's wills played a part in their salvation. Again, a preacher's attempt to persuade and unregnerate mand would be an admission that plays a part in his repentance, and it would be (calvinist) an affront to God's sovereignty- if no man can be saved apart from God's irresistible grace. In fact it seems Paul did not believe in total depravity or irresistiable grace or he was going against the word of God by trying to persuade men. And he was misleading them into thinking they could repent! Better yet could not a calvinist prove beyond a doubt Irr. Grace by reading the newspaper and seeing how many are saved? It seems that that "persuasive preaching" would be an affront to God as that is man's work and thus not solely of God?

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That doesn't prove otherwise and says nothing about why they did or did not believe him.
    Because the preaching of the gospel is the method God chose to use.
    Again, why were some persuaded while others weren't? Did God grant them understanding or were they "good" enough in and of themselves?
    Again, because the gospel is the method God chose to redeem men. I didn't say that man's will and decisions were not part of the method/plan. I said that God must grant man spiritual freedom through regeneration before he will do anything good.

Bottom line: God must be the instigator of anything that is genuinely "good"... while man has plenty of capacity all on his own to do evil.
    Because that was the experential aspect of it. Notably, the Jews were not successful, the gospel was brought to the gentiles,... and Christ's other sheep heard His voice and followed.
    This same Paul wrote Romans 8, Romans 1-3, Eph 1, and many other passages that deny man's goodness and exalt God's grace. You can't divorce and create a contradiction between Paul's teachings on the involvement of man's will and his other teachings concerning election, depravity, and God's primacy in salvation.

This is why I say that calvinism is the best explanation I have found. It allows all of scripture to be true. It doesn't create the contradictions that are necessitated by systems that exalt man's will and choice to the position of "cooperating/contributing" to individual salvation in a primary way.
    Think about what you just claimed then reconcile it with the activities, messages, and statements of genuine calvinists like Edwards, Spurgeon, and more recently MacArthur or Piper.

It is God's sovereignty that provides the messenger... it is God's sovereignty that sees to the fertility of the ground to which the seed is being spread.
    Since your premise is faulty, your conclusion is likewise unwarranted.
    You think "persuasive preaching" is a man's work? When you preach and someone gets saved, you think it is because YOU did something of yourself?... Or, do you rightly recognize that you have been used as an instrument by God?

8. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Scott, I don't think it contradicts Paul's teaching at all. I think that it contadicts calvni'st defining of depravity. This all went right over your head. It appears you are not even ttying to comprehend that pt.
    If salvation is supposedly a sovereign act of God who bestows on some people His irresistible grace, why don't (and you convently meissed or did not comment on this part) calvinist simply stand in front of unregenerate audiences and recite nursery rhymes? Then they could prove the truth of their doctrine of irresistable grace as people are sovereignly born again. Yet I notice that calvinist try to appeal to minds and hearts of their hearers in order to persuade them to repent and believe, something their audiences, by definition CAN'T do unless God sovereignly regenerates them. Even the preaching of calvinist contradicts what they say.
    If Calvnist are consistant with their theology, what is the gospel that they should proclaim? Should they decieve their audiences, calling on them to repent (like the Bible)and believe in Jesus Christ, misleading them into thinking that they CAN DO SOMETHING in regards to their salvation, thus strengthing their listner's pride and increasing their spiritual darkness? Or should they not tell them the truth...that they are so depraved that they are incapable of submitting to God, and unless God shows them irr. Grace, they can never be saved? How does faith come from hearing that? rom 10:17 Obvioulsy such a "gospel" leaves nothing for the hearer to cling to in faith.
    How can a man believe that unregenerate man will always use his freedom to resist God. Imagine a man who is an adulter. His God given counscience condemns him continually (rom2:15), but he continues in his adulterous relationship. Thus he is using his freedom to resist God, which you say is all he can do or will do since he is totally depraved Now he breaks off his adulterous relationship due to guilt. Now can it still be said that he has only used his freedom to resist God?. NO he used his freedom to repent of adultery, and yeilded to hs God given conscience.If he can use his freedom to do that why can't he with the help of he HS repent of a lifestyle of rebellion and humble himself before God?
    Calvnist clearly add to what scriptures state regarding human depravity and God's grace. Unregenerated people are dead in their sins and trespasses, hundreds, if not thousands, of scriptures clearly state that or imply that spiritually dead people can choose to humble thmeselves and repent, especially while they are under the influence of the gracious drawing of the HS. God's drawing however never forces anyone to repent, nor does it change anyone's will apart from the consent of his heart.
    yes Scott although scripture repeatedly decries the sinful state of humnanity, at the same time it calls on all people to repent. Acts17:30 If Paul believed that people were so depraved that they had no capacity to repent, he would not have said tht God was calling ALL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE to repent. Unless he was a deciever. Even more so if it is impossible for spiritually dead people to repent, God would be unrighteous to expect all of them to do what they are incapable of doing and then hold them guilty for not doing it.
    Paul, John, Jesus and all the apostles preached the gospel, calling on ALL people to repent.
    Mat 3:2 4:17 11:20
    Mark 6:12
    Luke 5:32 13:3,5 24:27
    acts 2:38 3:19 5:31 11:18 20:21
    Rom 2:4 II Pet3:9
    Several times in the book of Rev John is amazed that unregenate people don't repent while suffereing God's judgement. (Did not John realize the total depravity of man? It seems God has not taught him that) In Chorazin and Bethsaida Jesus pronounced woe upon all the people becasue they didn't repent. Mtt 11:21. He also declared the wicked people of Tyre and Sidon , who didn't repent would have if they had seen the miracles like the people of Chorizin and Bethsaida had seen. In both cases , jesus believed that thos who didn't repent had the capacity to repent and SHOULD have repented, in contrast to calvinst who beleive unregenated people have no capacity to repent out of God changeing their wills and forceing them to repent, which He only does for some.

enough for now. Time to get back to work.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It didn't... and I comprehend your point or else I couldn't have responded to it.

Paul wrote those things. He also wrote Romans 8 which describes individual salvation from eternity past to eternity future with a screaming absence of any reference or dependence on man's will or choice. These things must be reconciled in a way that does harm to neither scripture nor introduces a contradiction.

Plain and simple- man is responsible for sin. God's "goodness leadeth thee to repentance."
    I didn't miss it. I answered it... Why do you want to start that kind of non-sense again. I thought we were having a productive discussion until just now.
    Except that you are planting your own biases into what calvinists believe again rather than accepting and honestly considering what we say. I may not deserve your respect but certainly the likes of Spurgeon should. Has there been a greater preacher since Paul? I doubt it. Did he fail to call people to repentance? No. Did he recognize that his duty was to call while it was God's prerogative to motivate? Yes.
    Come on Tim... Please think about what we say before responding to what you imagine we mean. Can't because they won't... not because God denies them the faculties to do so.
    And this is why you've been accused more than once here of arguing with us without knowing or trying to truly understand what we believe.

The contradictions exist only in your mind.
    Jesus Christ and Him crucified... repent and believe.
    Are you insenuating that Spurgeon, Whitefield, and Edwards deceived those who fell to their knees in repentance?

They can and should do something... but won't until God performs a miracle in their lives.
    I have heard even the most arminian preachers say, "Is the Spirit calling you?" The obvious answer for many unsaved in those audiences... was "no".
    Faith comes by hearing the gospel... the ability to "hear" spiritually comes by the miraculous regeneration of the spirit.
    Because there is none righteous, no not one. There is none that understands, there is none that seek God... there is none that do good.
    Nope I didn't say that.
    or that really. An adulterer may self reform for many reasons that have nothing to do with genuine repentance, salvation, obedience to God, or God's glory.
    Yes. There is a significant difference between human efforts to self-justify and escape guilt and godly repentance toward the Savior.
    For selfish purposes, not God glorifying ones.
    He can but won't for the very same reason that he might obey his conscience and self-reform... because he loves himself and his flesh. He is a self-worshipper.
    Not demonstrated by anything you have presented so far.
    Nope. Not a single one says that unregenerate man possesses the goodness to do these things of themselves.
    Nope... ONLY while they are under the effectual drawing of the HS.
    Repentance is no more forced on a born again spirit than metabolism is forced on a new born child.

On the second part you are simply wrong.

12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
    13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
    15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Lead in every sense that I am aware of means to go first... to be primary... to be the motive or cause.

Nope. Again, people have their faculties. They are responsible. They could not rightly be condemned if they weren't called.

Now that is a totally separate issue for why some are saved. We are not saved for the same reason or for the opposite reason of why people are lost.

People are condemned because they deserve it even after God graciously reveals Himself to them. People are saved in spite of the fact that they don't deserve it even after God graciously reveals Himself to them.

God gave man the capacity to make moral judgment. He is in no wise guilty when man chooses evil... but He it is by His grace and to His glory alone than any ever choose righteousness.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I know you aren't addressing me, but I thought I'd add my 10 cents (still worth only 2 cents, but adjusted for inflation).

I think the problem you're having understanding why this doesn't disprove or conflict with election is because you're seeing things as an either/or. Either God does it all, or man has a part in it.

The reality is that God does it all, sometimes by using man as part of the process. Paul attempted to persuade men, and if God opens the ears of one of the listeners, Paul's persuasion will be effective. If God does not open the ears of any of the listeners, then Pauls efforts will produce nothing. But does Paul know God's intent? Of course not. So Paul must do what we are commanded to do also -- spread the Gospel. God determines who actually *hears* the Gospel.

That's why Acts 13:48 says, "When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed."

Paul and Barnabas preached to EVERYONE. EVERYONE HEARD THE WORDS of what was preached. But only those who were appointed for eternal life actually "had ears to hear" and believed.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing [comes by] the utterance of God. I say "utterance" because the Greek word is rhema, not logos -- which makes me think the verse would be more accurately translated in today's colloquial English as "Faith comes by hearing and hearing comes when God says so."

11. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Well it seems we are in agreemetnt then, Scott.

12. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I hate to use analogies because once you get started, people tend to focus on the analogy and not the point behind it. But I'm afraid I'll risk one anyway.

Whether or not receiving a gift is a work of man depends on how he receives it. If I hand you $100, then you have to do "a work" to take it because I'm leaving it up to you whether or not you accept the gift. If I deposit $100 into your bank account, you get the gift and do absolutely nothing to receive it.

IMO, neither example illustrates how salvation works. But in the former example, man must decide whether or not to accept the gift, then reach out and take it.

If you believe salvation works that way, it leads to the question: Who makes one man differ from another that one would decide to receive the gift and reach out and take it, and another decides to reject it and refuse to take it?

If man makes the difference, then man must have the glory. But the Bible says that it is God who makes one differ from another.

14. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

And you make God a "respecter of person" with whom he will/won't save, do you know that to have respect of persons is a "SIN"??

Does God sin???

Faith is all God requires from us, Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the law, death for sin, to "Redeem" us from being under that law.

"FAITH" won't pay the "wages of sin".

Ge 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Evidently, the fall wasn't as far as most believe, "GOOD" is still known as much as "EVIL".

The fall wasn't "TOTAL".

"AS GODS" we're "FREE" to chose between the "Good/Evil", just like any other "god".

Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

And you make God a "respecter of person" with whom he will/won't save</font>[/QUOTE]If it is God who makes the difference, how does that make God a respecter of persons? One person is better than another only because God made him that way. God didn't make him that way because he was better.

Indeed, salvation by free will choice makes God a respecter of persons, because in that view God only chooses those who are "good enough" to make the right decision.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong. God only chooses those who are "in Christ", His Son. This has nothing to do with being "good enough" :rolleyes:

God makes the rules. Believe = eternal life, don't believe = eternal separation. If the "rules" are laid out in front of the whole world, there is no way God is a respector of persons for choosing those "in Christ".

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. God only chooses those who are "in Christ", His Son. This has nothing to do with being "good enough" :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE] It does if the critical difference between the saved and the lost is a decision motivated by some good within the man rather than by good placed in him specially by God.

Again, if the critical difference between those who do and those who don't is an independent good decision made by them... then God is simply recognizing the merit of that choice. He is respecting them for what they have done.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We've been around this block before. Your claims of good decision as "works" cannot be substantiated as fact.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh for heaven's sake... I have given you the very definition of work to prove it. To deny that the process leading to a decision is mental work is to deny the very definition of the word.

But if you somehow got past that... you still couldn't deny that the man had provided the critical difference in his own salvation that separates him from those who remain lost- a good decision.

20. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Tim,

I really enjoyed reading your comments. I compile some neat ones below:

However, I need to comment on one re. Ephesians 2:8, 9, which I'll post separately...

Thx,

FA