1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Total Depravity...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Blammo, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Blammo

Blammo New Member

In the flesh it is impossible to please God. However, at the very moment that you have faith in Christ, you are no longer in the flesh. Again, nothing in the Scripture that says it is impossible to have faith. Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith is the first thing about us that is pleasing to God.

Notice I said "Some Calvinists". Some most certainly have argued that unsaved man's spirit is dead and therefore unable to hear or respond to anything. I have been told to go to the morgue and try having a conversation with a dead person. What do you think they mean by that?

I absolutely agree with you here.

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Hello Blammo.

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing comes by the word of God.
    This is how faith comes ........ by the Spirit speaking the word of God. It is not simply by man or by reading that we come to a head knowledge. Here is it meant as in the new birth. Being born again by the Spirit. The Spirit speaks the word of God to an unregenerate man and he hears... with a heart knowledge.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Wouldn't that be pleasing to God if someone did that? I think it would. And since one in the flesh "cannot please God" then I don't think he could do that.

Only if you think that setting one's mind on Christ is displeasing to God would your idea seem to be able to stand.

4. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I agree that the word of God spoken or read without the Spirit would be dead. However, doesn't Scripture tell us that the word of God is quick and powerful? Can the word of God be spoken or read without the Spirit being at work? Whether bringing about faith or condemnation? Jesus said His words were spirit and life? (John 6:63)

Why would Paul write...?

Phl 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

5. reformedbeliever

Yes, the quick is to be made alive by the power of God through the Spirit. The word of God can be read or heard by unregenerate man, without seeing or hearing in a saving way. (head knowledge)
    Of course I believe that one who hears the Gospel in a non saving way is even more guilty. How guilty does one have to be in order to be condemned? Just one sin.
    When Jesus said His words are Spirit and life, that is in reference to the regenerating power of His Words through the Spirit which bring spiritual life. (regeneration)
    Paul is simply saying that whether someone is sincere or not about Christ, the preaching of Christ still is used to bring people to faith. The Spirit can still use it to regenerate people. That happens today. How many preachers have you heard of that lead many to Christ, only for those same preachers to fall away later. They never were regenerate. I know of one personally. I hope his falling away is only temporary, but at any rate, God used his preaching to bring many elect to faith.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree with much of what is said and some points of contention still remain:
    However it was in this portion I wanted to address. There are many lost in their sins that don't understand the fulness of what is coming but what they did know, they rejected. And, according to scirpture there are many who know the truths of scripture...from Gods glory all the way to His righteous judgment against all who disbeleive...and still will deny him, therefore remaining in their unbelief because they LOVE their unrighteousness. I go back to these particular verses because they discribe just that:
    Unless God show them these spiritual things man does not and can not understand them. That is what scripture says. There is not two forms of understanding of spiritual things in the scriptures. These people understand the salvation message (UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE) and reject it. Look also at 1 Thes.

If ANY man understands ANY spiritual thing like God's glory, sin, righeousness and unrighteousness, judgment to come, salvation, or any biblical truth...it is because God has given it to them to understand and are responsible for what is revealed to them. IF the natural man can not understand spiritual things then they will not have any inkling of the above. But scripture says they KNOW and reject.

7. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Allan,

I am curious as to why you left out Roman 1:20

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Seems like one of the best verses in Romans 1 to prove man's knowledge of God. What little knowledge that may be, it includes His eternal power and Godhead.

8. reformedbeliever

Very good point Blammo. To me it would be that they clearly see that there is a god or higher creature. They just want to make the god one that fits their specifications. Man still wants to be in control of what they think God should be.

9. reformedbeliever

This has been a great thread. Hope you all have a blessed ressurection Sunday.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually I wanted to place from verse 16 on ward but I just choose some of the verses. The context of all of them together speak volumes, especially since it is what Pauls used to establish the writting of Romans. Nothing in the rest of Hebrews is out of context with the first couple of chapters in Romans, therefore they all need to be examined on the whole of his teaching. (and I'm sure everyone will agree with that).

11. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Thanks, Allan, I agree.

I also agree with the doctrine of Total Depravity so long as it does not include inability. That just does not make sense to me in light of scripture.

Am I wrong?

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

I completely agree. With as many people as are conversing back and forth this is probably one the most civil threads in a couple of months.

God be praised.

Everyone have a blessed Resurrection Rememberance in which we look forward to ours as well. GLORY!! Now that is something to shout about!
    It is all about :jesus:

:godisgood: - Can I get an Amen on that?

#112 Allan, Apr 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2007
  13. Allan

Allan Active Member

I speak only on this wise:
    As the Lord reveals, Believe it with all your being.
    I agree with you however.
    But even my understanding on issues have moved one way or another at different times due to the Lords revelation in context and according to content, but on this one I have not seen anything to contradict it personally
    I say let God be God and I will follow according to all I know.
    It IS for Him I live, and Him I will die.
    Just as it was for me He lived, and for me He died and rose again.

I better get off here before I start preaching. :laugh:
    May God richly bless each of you with His mercy and grace in all things pertaining to life and Holiness.

14. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Amen, Allan, I hope you have a blessed Ressurection Sunday.

And you too, RB. I love you guys and thank you for all you contributed to this conversation.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I agree. And the reason they love their unrighteousness is because they do not really understand the glory of God.

Again, I agree for the most part. But there is a difference in teh kind of understanding. It is not two forms of spiritual understanding. One of them is not spiritual at all.

Excellent. And this why they have no excuse. They know God exists. And they reject him.

The reason I say they do not fully understand is because 2 Cor 4 calls them blind, unable to see the glory of God in teh face of Christ. In other words, they are unable to grasp his full beauty and glory, even though they know he exists.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, yet scripture no where says they know but they don't REALLY know or any such phrasing. But scripture does say:
    And as I was corrected earlier for leaving it out:
    Yet is also states:
    And they DID know clearly His glory for as scripture stated previously - They knew God:
    They knew God, His glory, His truth, and His judgment but rejected it, THEN scripture states:
    Wherefore - In light of what was stated....
    And as if to re-emphasize the point, God again says of their understanding of those spiritual things revealed:
    And again scriptures declears WHY they are given over to damnation:
    And then AGAIN (a third time) showing they, by rejecting the truth revealed to them BY GOD, are the reason they are damned. And if rejection of truth is damnation, then acceptance of the truths revealed is salvation:
    Notice they were not given over BEFORE, but AFTER to a reprobate mind.
    They understand spiritual truth JUST LIKE A BELIEVER does. A believer knows God, God truths, Gods glory, and most specifically - Gods judgment upon those who live IN Sin - but a believer is one who RECEIVES these truths. They reject everything they KNOW that their rebellion be complete and total. So God gives them over to that.
    Scripture also speaks specifically to the fact that the truth they understand could have saved them if they had not rejected it.
    What I am saying is that scripture does not appear to agree, they did not REALLY understand what they thought they understood.
    Again, that is not what scripture says.
    It does not say they know God exists only. It says they know His truth, His glory, His righteousness vs unrighteousness, and His judgment. They, as verse 20 shows, know His eternal power and Godhead. Not just that He exists.
    Then let us look at 2 Cor 4: 2-6 and the verse you are referencing (which I think is 4):
    Notice please the deliniation:
    The gospel if hid at all is hid ONLY from the Lost. (vs 2) --- But WHY and how is it hid?
    Because Satan has blinded the minds of those which DID NOT Believe the truth.
    Due to their rejection and Satans blinding AFTER THE FACT, the gloriouse light of the Gospel will not shine unto them again. I say again because the scripture says they ALREADY did not believe the truths that God revealed to them.

It is self evident the Lost are those who have not believed and God has given them over to their unbelief, and the means to keep them there is removal of His grace and allowing Satan a powerful hold. (or as 2 Thes says, God shall send them a strong delusion to believe the lie - That strong delusion in the works and power of Satan)

EDITTED IN...
    All I am showing is that (1) man is in a state of total depravity and not able to do or know anything that is not distorted through his own power or intellect. However - with man it is impossible, but...with God all things are possible.
    But (2) when God reveals His truth, He does not do it through a mans normal natural means which distorts and perverts but Himself reveals to the heart of man, and therefore man can not and is not able to see or hear anything but the straight and unabridged truth God gives him.

What is revealed is undistorted and absolute since it is from God and given in spiritual form and power, yet what man does with that truth is mans resposiblity. Depravity is absolute, yes. But God bypasses our depravity that we may see the light of Christ and the Truths of God in an undistorted and unperveted knowledge. Man is naturally UNABLE because the natual man has no choices as there is no new (undefiled) information he can aquire that is contrary to his nature through which he perseves. His nature will always distort it. That is why God must reveal it so they may KNOW as it is given spiritually which bypasses the natural man but also confronts him. Just like Adam and Eve could not sin until Satans deception entered in and gave them choice, so to the natural man can not understand the things of God until by some divine intervention man is revealed truth which he can not aquire for himself. This is that which enables man to choose. For without the knowledge of truth man can not reject or stand in unbelief in anything not even God for he knows not God. But when man KNOWS, Man is responsible and judged according to what he did with the truth revealed to him.

#116 Allan, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  17. skypair

skypair Active Member

Rom 1:19-21, John. All have heard but most did not glorify God and thank Him.

skypair

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Was that not what it said -- "Noah found grace in God's eyes?" Now two things can be derived from that 1) Noah found grace and believed and 2) it is for that reason that he found grace in GOD'S eyes.

One moment God was looking down and saw that EVERYONE was thinking only sin continually and the next His eyes discovered grace present in Noah. How did that grace get there according to Paul? Obviously, something had changed in Noah, not in God. How could He look down and see everone in sin one moment and then Noah not the next??

skypair

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    so then you are saying that there are human beings who have walked this earth, will be walking this earth, and are right now walking this earth with enough inherent goodness in them for God to honor them and favor them on account of their inherent goodness, and not because He wants to do so despite their depraved nature, right ?
    I suppose God saved you and you feel you are going to heaven not because God in His mercy chose to save you and not because Christ in His love allowed Himself to be offered as sacrifice in your behalf but because something in you caused God to be merciful to you and something inherently in you caused you to turn to God in repentance, and so now you are looking forward to heaven, all because of you and what is in you, is that what it is ?

I say that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, there is no one good, no one but God, and that statement is true for all eternity, and Noah found grace before God because God chose to be merciful to Noah.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

That is what TD teaches and it is right to the degree that "God contacts us -- not we Him" according to Rom 1 and John 1!

One other issue I see bandied about without much understanding is that God needn't reveal the gospel to every man -- just who He is. From there, man is expected to seek Him to which God promises "those who seek will find," right?

You are obviously of those who believe that God won't reward Mother Theresa, right? Nor the one "who gives the least of these a cup of water," right? See, that's bogus. He won't reward them with heaven but He promises to reward such for their compassion.

Maybe what we ought to be looking at, then, is God never sees the "filthy-rag" works of a lost man. HOWEVER, Christ, "with Whom we have to do" (our Judge), will reward them.

I have notice both sides being very accomodating and honest as well. :D

Reformbeliever, for instance, has used the word "somehow" to describe the gaps in his own knowledge of doctrine. I believe if he would understand and accept some of our explanation for those "somehow's," we might not be arguing but agreeing!

Pastor Larry seems to be unusaully accomodating as well. :D TD = "sin nature" does, IMO, get us closer to the truth.

The way I hope I explained it was that God found a "seeking man" in Noah -- one who saw God in creation and believed as much "light" as he was given. Therefore, God warning "seeking" Noah about the flood is the part I designate as warning - convicting - MOVING - receive faith from Heb 11:4. The "moving" part, I see, as God motivated - Noah accomplished whereupon faith was received.

I quite agree. :D

skypair

#120 skypair, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007