1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Toyota Records Record Profit

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 11, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Making a profit is not unethical.

2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's what I am saying. God bless His people with all the profits and blessings when they follow His commandments.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Eliyahu. Since the oil companies' profits are being accomplished using good business ethics I am glad that you don't have a problem with them.

Have a great day in the Lord. [​IMG]

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All companies use the EPA rating of gas mileage. ALL of them are inaccurate when compared to today's driving because the test conditions don't match average driving.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The LA Times reported that the Toyota hybrids actually got better mileage than advertised. I'd say it has to do with driving habits.

Now, in days gone by, the "official" numbers were achieved by driving a car at 35 MPH in 5th gear on a track with no elevation changes.

How does that affect mileage? It affects it quite a bit!

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Hybrids do good in city traffic if one doesn't use heating or air conditioning but terrible on the interstate.

7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken,
    I didn't say that the oil industries were ethical enough when they reaped the profits over 20 billion USD. They have been ripping off the common consumers by taking the chance of the difficult times of the common people. They should be running the business in the attitude of sharing the pains of the millions of concumers. Therefore they are not ethical. The Norwegian philosopher who has become the fund manager of the national bank of the oil rich country Norway commented the fund should not be invested into immoral companies such as sell weapons, cigarettes, paying bribery, paying too much money to the executives, etc. In that category the oil industries are included.

As for Hybrid cars,
    I am very sure that the actual performance of Hybrid cars are quite below than the advertized figures. Those actual figures are quite achievable even by some of the usual gasoline cars, 21 MPG is really low, and Toyota pays a lot for the news media play.

Moreover, apart from the higher prices of the cars, the parts prices are higher too. It has a long way to go.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My brother has worked for Chevrolet, a garage which fixed sevral kinds of cars, and Toyota as a mechanic. Once he told me he saw a Toyota Tundra with over 400k Miles on it. Whe I got ready to buy a pickup in 2000, he told me that I could buy two Fords or Chevys or one Toyota.

My Toyota Camry has 176K on it and still going great. I have replaced the boots on the CV joints, timing belts, starter contacts, fluids, tires and batteries. It has by far been the cheapest car I have ever owned. I boughtr the car when it has 28K on it and the car looks almost like the day I bought it. The upholstery looks like new. Every Ford and Chevy I have owned has not even come close to giving such satisfaction.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Both my Toyota Tundra and Toyota Camry have exceeded the sticker on the window. When I drove my car from WA to AZ it got 35.1 mpg. My Tundra got 20.1 mpg on a trip.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you make baseless charges as evidenced by the fact that you offer absolutely no proof, just a bunch of populist poppycock. You are sounding like a politician. :D

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

There's a reason the Toyota's retain their resale value so high for so many years, and you can buy used Chevys, Fords, Hyundais, Kias, etc. for next to nothing. I sold a non-running Toyota with 300,000+ miles on it for more than a friend could sell his running Isuzu for.

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you make baseless charges as evidenced by the fact that you offer absolutely no proof, just a bunch of populist poppycock. You are sounding like a politician. :D </font>[/QUOTE]I was talking about the oil industries. I mentioned it in other thread and therefore please refer to it in other threads.
    Look at these sites:
    http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/AFP/2005/10/27/1064611 ( just one quarter profit soared over 9 Billion, and eventually exceeded 36 Billion USD per annum)

The average profit of oil industry was 24 Billion USD during 2000-2004
    During 2005, they made 63 BillionUSD. (source: CEPR Dean Baker - www.cepr.net/publications/katrina_windfall_2005_09.pdf )
    You can find a lot of articles if you hit "oil industries profit billion dollars"

As this thread is about Totyota, I have many friends who witness they are very much happy with Camry, Corola, Echo and I know the quality is mostly satisfactory and there is a good reason for such profit. But in my case, I think Lexus ES250 was a model of failure. The point which I addressed mainly to was about the ethics in the business and so far I have not found any company having the proper ethics of the business in the world.
    I am very sure that any reasonable person would be disappointed if he or she purchase Prius expecting it would consume less gasoline and thereby contribute for the less pollution of the air. Those mileage of the Hybrid is quite achievable by the normal gasoline cars. It is not the time to buy Hybrid yet.
    Read this ( Is Toyota a Wolf in sheep clothing?)

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=51099&cat=Industry

You can see all the figures there!
    (Excerpts)
    The hybrid version of the Highlander got only 20.6 miles per gallon in a week-long test drive this year on a range of driving conditions by Free Press auto critic Mark Phelan. The EPA rating shows the vehicle gets 33 m.p.g. city/28 m.p.g. highway in federal tests. The non-hybrid Highlander, meanwhile, was rated 19 m.p.g. city/25 m.p.g. highway by the EPA -- much closer to the actual results in the hybrid.

There are much more story about Toyota in Motomachi plant. I have once visited inside this plant in Motomachi, near Nagoya, where Avalon was produced. They advertized for the Environment friendly cars, but in that city, for the event, they could not run such cars because they could not pass the E-test there!

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/newsprint.cgi?file=/news2005/1024-09.htm

Don't you expect Toyota will pay something to these groups too?

Read this too.

Hybrid gets 33 mpg, my Passat gets 40+!

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/ford_and_gm_lob.html

There is nothing wrong with profit making, otherwise it may be a kind of jealousy. However, what matters is the Business Ethic, and often the businesses, even the nice looking business firms are cheating the people, or working hard thru lobbying and thru news media.

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what? That is not proof of being unethical nor of price gouging.

It is proof of unsubstantive populist poppycock.

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you don't understand my point. I will give up!

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your point, Eliyahu. You have not been able to prove your point. Simply stating something doesn't make it so.

17. FollowMeHome

FollowMeHome New Member

Toyota isn't price gouging. They have a good product. Supply and demand dictates the price people will pay for their product. Fortunately for Toyota, it affords them very handsome profits.

BTW, I have a Toyota sitting in my driveway. The next car I buy will be a hybrid or 100% alternative fueled.

The supply of oil is not endless. Has anyone given thought to the fact that oil is necessary for products other than gasoline for your car? Where do you think plastics come from? If you we use all the oil for gasoline, how are you going to live without plastics?

#37 FollowMeHome, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

And you sound like you work for an oil company. Oh wait, you do work for an oil company. Never mind.