1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tracking Bible Sales

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I guess the ESV is not doing as well as some thought.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

People today are not reading their Bibles as much. So no need to buy one because of use.

A lot of KJVs are given as gifts.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think the NKJV leading the pack is because it is the version in so many "study" Bibles?

It is what I recommend to young Christians, but I was surprised to see it leading the NIV or conventional KJV.

5. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

I to am surprised on the NIV being behind the NKJ .And the HCSB ahead of the NAS .Although Dr.Bob your probably correct on one reason is the Study Bible's in NKJ .I am not to surprised on the ESV being way down the line .Most people never heard of it .I was in a Christian book store a big one .They only had one ESV and in was a small hardback .
    I use the ESV and like it .

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I was surprised to see the NKJV at the top, I was expecting the NIV and KJV to be 1 & 2.

It may be because of the study bible thing.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note that the stats only tally retail store sales. Such "local church bible publishers" as Bearing Precious Seed, etc., are not included in the stats. I suspect if they were the stats would read KJV, NKJV, NIV. Most KJV users switch to the NKJV over other versions, and the KJV has been on top for many, many years. The NIV enjoyed a burst of popularity back in the 1980s and 90s but that has waned and the NKJV has become the bible of choice for most Christians, possibly do to the large number of excellent study bibles available in NKJV format. Nelson publishes most of those excellent study bibles (with the exception of the Zondervan Study Bible, which is also excellent) so it is natural they would publish those study bibles in NKJV format seeing as they own the publication rights to the NKJV. [​IMG]

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The stats also don't include general book retailers or direct sales. The last two Bibles I purchased — NET and ESV — were purchased on the Web and at Hasting's, respectively, and wouldn't show up in the figures at all.

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. I wonder if anybody keeps track of downloads of electronic bibles from the internet? I know I have 6 KJVs, an LITV, an MKJV, 2 ALTs, 2 ASVs, an EMTV, an ESV, an ISV, and a KJV2000 all in electronic format, downloaded from various internet sites and not, I would assume, included in any of the stats.

In fact it may be that retail sales stats have become meaningless and obsolete. [​IMG]

10. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

RSR and Doc Cass are correct about those stats. I buy most of my Bibles either from American Bible Society or from www.allbibles.com. I don't think I have ever purchased a Bible at a bookstore.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    STUDY BIBLE LINK

There is a difference between Version sales and Study Bible sales.

You'd have to see the actual number of sales to know the meaning of the statistics.

NIV is #1 #2, #4 and #5 in Study Bible sales.

Rob

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Above is not sufficient to convince about NASB falling too much behind.
    They didn't report the number of volumes. I have the stat for Korean Bible as more than 1 million per annum. As for E-commerce, we may be able to assume that the ratio among the versions are more or less the same as the retail sales. Often I buy KJV and Hebrew OT from "Believers Bookshelf" or from " His Words for His People" which I am almost sure the stat doesn't include. His Words for His People didn't charge me, though I used to donate annually. Jews can get the books ( Hebrew OT+KJV) free if they ask.

13. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Although I really like the ESV and own a KJV,NKJV,RSV,NScofield,NIV Thompson I think the ESV will continue to lag behind the others until it comes out in more Study Bible versions. At present there is the Reformation Study Bible and the ESV Scofield(supposed to come out last month).When the ESV xomes out with a study Bible something akin to the KJV,NKJV,NASB,or NIV study Bibles and maybe the Life Application Study Bible then sales will take off.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it showed something other than the KJV as #1, it is meaningless. Should have seen THAT comment coming. :rolleyes:

The facts are there. They are meaningful for exactly what they purport to be - all Christian Booksellers record their sales. Doesn't include anyone else and doesn't pretend to. THAT is not the purpose of this thread.

Purpose is to think through WHY the NKJV/NIV are in this realm more popular. And appreciate the report on Study Bibles NOT being the reason.

Any other ideas?

15. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I see the message is number six...now just add two more sixes and it will become very clear ;)

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The link shows the rank of Bible sales! I agree with TCassidy what he said. He said, "the KJV has been on top for many, many years." Amen!!!

This link said that NKJV is rank #1 because of sales! Another source said NIV is rank #1 because of sales! :confused:

Printing ministries are not for sales but for free to give anyone Bible namely the KJV. A man from printing ministry showed his media in my church concerning the Bible printing. I learned that the KJV is still TOP.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, you just gotta learn to pay attention! If they only count bibles sold in retail stores, and don't count the local church bible publishers, and don't count internet sales and downloads, how can you make any claim to accuracy of the stats? It is not a case of "Since it showed something other than the KJV as #1, it is meaningless" as you falsely claim, but an observation that the data is incomplete. Got it now? Please, try to see beyond your prejudices and just look at the facts instead of adding your false spin and baseless accusations against the brethren. :(

18. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I still say that the NKJV is next generation's version of the KJV. The KJV has always maintained a strong foothold due simply to its long history, but the same thing happened in 1769 when a "NKJV" hit the market. Being the one we use now, it is simply time for another, newer version to take its place.

The NIV doesn't surprise me as being number two. These are the people who are not bothered at all by using a completely new translation and the NIV has had so much marketing behind it, along with study Bibles it is like Coke and Pepsi. Two completely different translation concepts will compete for number one.

In fact, to someone who has done a lot of studying in marketing, these numbers should not be suprising.

Just wait--my prediction, 20 years and the NKJV or an update of the existing NKJV will replace the KJV in 80% or more sales.

The ESV took a hard hit when the Holman was introduced close to the same time--it also took another hit when people realized that it was an upgraded version (although conservative) of the RSV.

So, conservatives today will likely stick with what they are used to and that is the KJV and the NKJV (whether accurate or not) has been marketed as the latest version of the KJV in a long series of versions.

Even non-KJVO's have a tendency to pick KJVs when they are "in-doubt" about picking a new version or a KJV, simply due to the fact it was grandpa's Bible for over 100 years.

The numbers will continue to remain the same with the NKJV climbing, the 1769 KJV slowly falling (as gb says, many are gifts) and the NIV or another heavy marketed Bible coming in second. Again....coca-cola and pepsi.

19. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Expected, sadly. :(

What I said was IN THOSE STATS (of Bibles sold by Christian Booksellers Association members, duh) it was an interesting phenomenon.

Everyone knows it doesn't include other sales from church, Bearing PRecious Seed giveaway, Amazon, etc.

But the accuracy of THE statistics of the CBA is what is discussed.

If you want to discuss THIS TOPIC, fine. But don't call the CBA statistics of THEIR OWN SALES as false or incomplete. They are accurate to what they purport to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.