1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tracking Bible Sales

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brice

Brice New Member

LOL! Now that was funny! I wish I had said it! :D :D :D </font>[/QUOTE]I don't see how this is relevant, considering the counter argument put forth by TCassidy is based on the perceived importance of counter statistics in regard to the OP.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brice, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Why not lay it aside for they only get heavier the longer you carry them.

Just some friendly advice from an old man who has lived a long, long time. [​IMG]

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Maybe you need to lighten up and not take the discussion quite so seriously. Dr. Bob and I have known one another for a long time, and most of the time we are poking fun at one another. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Thats great. Maybe you should make it more clear that you are only addressing Dr. Bob [​IMG]

4. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Maybe you need to lighten up and not take the discussion quite so seriously. Dr. Bob and I have known one another for a long time, and most of the time we are poking fun at one another. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Thats great. Maybe you should make it more clear that you are only addressing Dr. Bob [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Dr Cassidy. I am thoroughly and utterly offended by your statements (wink wink...nod nod)I should know better than to take a guy who rides a motorcycle seriously (wink wink....nod nod) [​IMG]

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Or American Catholics don't buy bibles at all. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Or American Catholics rarely set foot in a store with CBA ties.

Must be all those Chick tracts lying around in them.

What?

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Yeah! You got that right! Even I am offended! :D :D :D

Psalm 119:165. [​IMG]

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's probably it! Without the Papal Imprimatur they would be excommunicated for just allowing their shadow to pass by the door! :D
    Hmmmm. Maybe those Catholics are on to something! :D :D

8. Brice

Brice New Member

Chip on my shoulder? Nah. I certainly don’t appreciate someone quoting me and then typing words such as mentally challenged in their response. I discuss the issues. Feel free to look at all of my nearly 600 posts’, then you can more accurately make assumptions about my personal state; until then it might be wise to discuss the issues rather then people.

9. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I think the statistics are only accurate and representitive of the Christian Book Stores association. I would say the NIV/KJV are 1.,2. respectively. But the CBA is not representitive of the entire English Bible sales just their stores. I would think the ESV is doing better most in our Church ordered their copies off the web.

10. Brice

Brice New Member

Agreed. [​IMG]

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

LOL! Now that was funny! I wish I had said it! :D :D :D </font>[/QUOTE]That is the name and author of a real book. Reading it is a real eye-opener.

12. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I use only the KJV. When I am home and in Christian bookstores it is almst impossible to find a KJV on the shelf. Usually I have to look in the back of the store on a bottom shelf somewhere. Having said that, I also facilitate a Bible dstribution center for all of West Africa. We only distribute KJV. We also send out NT's and other literature as well.

As to the importance of the stats Dr. Bob quoted, that is subjective and as such, each is entitled to his or her comments and opinions. We should be able to speak our mind without being labeled, libeled, lashed, or bashed. Afterall, we are all on the same winning team, right?

A healthy discussion of these issues can be joyful. It does not have to turn into an attack where everyone chooses sides. The sarcastic tongue in cheek comments, the innuendos, on both sides, are un-Christlike. You guys should repent in sackcloth and ashes.

I will fight for the my brother's right to choose whichever Bible he wants. I have strong convictions and opinions about which Bible is best. As Baptists, we stand on the soul liberty doctrine as one of our foundational principles. Lets put it into practice and stop acting like spoiled children who shout insults at each other from across the street.

13. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

I would find it difficult to believe a Christian bookstore can do business without having a healthy stock of KJVs. No matter our allegiances, the KJV is one of the most used bibles, so I would wonder where it is that you find difficult to find a KJV bible on the shelf. I simply cannot believe that statement is true.

I agree with your assessment, but I must ask: When was the last time you repented using sackcloth and ashes?

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We have at least one store around here that won't stock anything but KJV and puts warning stickers on books that quote anything other than the KJV!

The stores I go to do have a wide selection of Bibles with KJV and NKJV dominating, but I have noticed that there have been fewer of them. I haven't noticed that the Bible section has grown any as newer versions are stocked.

15. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two thoughts:
    Which Verson has the most copies printed in a year.

We had a Gideon Speaker at church resently. During President G. H. W. Bush's tenture the Gideon's gave him their 500,000,000th Bible distributed. Last year (or in 2004) the Gideon's presented President George W. Bush with the 1 BILLIONth Bible distributed though their ministry.
    500,000,000 in approximately 10 years.
    Though I don't have the stats, many Bibles (all English) distributed by the Gideons are KJV.

Bro Tom

16. Convicted by the Spirit

This cracks me up.

17. BruceB

BruceB New Member

It must really depend on where you live. Mike in Ghana, I don't know where home is for you, but I live in eastern NC, and travel extensively around the southeast, mostly in NC, SC, VA and GA. I have never been in a Christian bookstore in my area (Lifeway, Family Christian Stores, and numerous mom and pop stores) that didn't have a large stock of all the "normal" translations of the Bible (KJV - to include the Hendrickson 1611, NKJV, NIV, ESV, NASB, RSV, NSRV, NLT, Message, THE WORD, NCV, CEV, Amplified, Catholic, etc.) Most have study Bibles, large print, normal print, giant print, leather, imitation leather, hardbound, paper bound, various colors, styles, etc.

Even the big secular chains (Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Books-A-Million) have extensive Bible selections - especially Books-A-Million. Some of these secular chains have more than the local mom and pop Christian stores.

The most extensive stock by any of the above that I see are the KJV, NIV, and NKJV. Books-A-Million even has stacks of ESV's (along with KJV, NKJV, and NIV) right now on their "Easter feature sale tables" and usually have those tables up 3 or 4 times per year.

We in the southeast have access to everything we need - we should pray for those who don't.
    Bruce

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This cracks me up. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm taking a wild guess that it was the first couple of lines that drove you to laugher?? Or at least I hope it was laughter and not the funny farm. ;)

19. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

These statistics are based exclusively on sales in Christian retail stores in the United States and Canada. I live in a large metropolis in which all but one of the Christian bookstores have gone out of business because very few people in that metropolis buy their Bibles in Christian bookstores. We do have a few “Christian” stores that sell so-called Christian music, jewelry, clothing and junk, but they do not stock nearly as many Bibles as our Christian bookstores used to years ago even when there were fewer translations available. Therefore, anyone who is at all particular about the Bible that they wish to buy has to shop on the internet. And, of course, Bibles can be purchased on the internet for very much less money than Christian retail stores price them at.

I can just imagine the lack of selection that one would find in a Christian retail store in a small town. At Christianbook.com many hundreds of different Bibles are advertised for sale, and the opening paragraph in the Bible section of the catalog reads,

Notice that the NKJV is not even mentioned! They do offer it for sale, however.

[​IMG]

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The Gideons also use the NKJV - I have a few copies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.