1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TRACS: Is It Real Accreditation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know SEBTS takes credits from Liberty now. Though Liberty is RA. If that helps. I know for a fact because they took all of mine.

In Christ,

Brooks

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brooks,

Yes, Liberty holds accreditation from SACS and TRACS therefore it will be widely accepted. My concern lies mainly with schools that only hold accrediation from TRACS. Schools such as Luther Rice, Southern Evangelical, Temple Baptist, and other schools. While those schools offer quality education it seems that the usefulness of the degrees those schools offer is very limited when it comes to teaching, or transfering credits/degrees to another school.

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I wonder if Broadus could shed light on this? He went to SBTS after completing a couple of degrees at LRS.

4. Broadus

Broadus Member

I wonder if Broadus could shed light on this? He went to SBTS after completing a couple of degrees at LRS. </font>[/QUOTE]Put simply, my MDiv from LRS was in 1985, before, I think, Luther Rice was accredited by TRACS, but I'm not certain about that. My DMin was 1992, after TRACS for sure but before CHEA approved TRACS. SBTS, along with every other accredited seminary to my knowledge, would not allow my LRS work for entrance into the PhD program.

In addition, I received the LRS MDiv without biblical languages and some other more academic (as opposed to practical) courses I wanted in order to do a PhD of substance. Consequently, I did another complete MDiv (first taking 33 hours from SEBTS and NOBTS extensions in Georgia, with the rest on campus at SBTS) and then was accepted into the PhD program, receiving the degree in church history in December '03.

I doubt that SBTS will yet allow an MDiv from LRS to satisfy the master's requirement for entrance into the PhD program. I'm not sure if it's because LRS lacks RA or because MDivs are typically awarded at LRS with a minimum, if any at all, of biblical languages. I would be surprised if very many LRS grads have any Greek or Hebrew. Of course, the same can be said of those graduating even from RA seminaries, and graduates of those would have to pass the biblical and modern language requirements to enter Southern's PhD in the School of Theology.

Bill

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

BTW, if I remember correctly, Dr. James Flanagan, president of Luther Rice, did a second MDiv at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary because SWBTS did not accept his Liberty MDiv. Liberty did not attain regional accreditation until 1980. I think Dr. Flanagan matriculated at SWBTS before Liberty received RA. I don't know if other issues existed which necessitated his earning a second MDiv.

Bill

6. ForHisGlory15

ForHisGlory15 New Member

There are several things that are going to limit the usefulness of a TRACS degree. First, it's going to have its limitations with secular institutions particularly, simply because it is a "Bible college" accreditation, which CHEA unfortunately automatically assigns to a lower tier. Second, it is new and anemic in stature with only 36 schools and 15 in candidacy. In comparison to regional accreditation's 4,000+ schools and long history, TRACS maintains feeble positioning. Although is would definitely be better than a non-accredited degree, its not going to open the doors that many students are led to believe. Marketing concerns keep most schools from dealing honestly with the issue.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Dr. James Flanagan, president of Luther Rice, did a second MDiv at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary because SWBTS did not accept his Liberty MDiv."

That is correct. In my current research, however, Southwestern said they do accept credits from TRACS only schools such as Luther Rice (on a case by case basis). That is different from the Southern Baptist Seminary that said no.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

I am new to the Board. I have considered doing another doctorate at one of the S Africa schools. Oxford Grad School has just received their TRACS accreditation. My understanding is that it helps immensely to get federal loans and such. Please bring me up to speed on other issues.

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Broadus,

Could you post all of your academic credentials and grad school work. I teach at an SBC college and "want to compare notes."

Thanks,

rd

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

11. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I wonder if TRACS somewhat narrow theological standards keep it "anemic in stature" by excluding schools that may have a different view of creation. There are solid Christian institutions IMO that don't necessarily insist on 6 literal days of creation, for example.

12. Nord

Nord New Member

Yes, TRACS is a solid Christian accrediting agency. They had a rough start and made corrections that have lead to increasing stature. A few years ago when receiving reapproval from the US Dept of Ed., they were complimented in the report on their methodology.

In the US recognized accrediting agencies receive recognition by being approved by the US Dept of Ed/and or CHEA. Best to have both. The Regional Accrediting Agencies and National Accrediting Agencies are recognized in this way. TRACS has both US Dept of Ed & CHEA recognition.

The reality is that Regionally Accredited schools predominate and there is therefore more utility with a degree from a Regionally accredited school. However, there are increasing numbers of schools willing to consider degrees from Nationally Accredited schools (TRACS/DETC, etc). Many employers will accept both. My large secular employer recognizes degrees from any school accredited by a recognized regional or national accreditor.

TRACS is increasing the number of quality schools, for example...Norm Geisler's Southern Evangelical Seminary, Tennessee Temple University, Mars Hill, Liberty University and soon the very well respected Bob Jones University.

Nord

13. ForHisGlory15

ForHisGlory15 New Member

My comment about TRACS being "anemic in stature" refers only to their size. They have met and are continuing to meet the highest of qualifications to receive DOE/CHEA recognition. They are growing steadily, and there exists increasing growth potentiol as interest rises in dual accreditation status. (RA and TRACS) Every Christian institution maintains precarious positioning within the educational realm, simply because the world is at enmity with God. The landscape of education can change drastically depending on the leadership of our country.

Presently, Christian institutions with RA status are not having any resistance in executing their God-oriented, Bible-based mission statements, but this could change. Presently, TRACS is gaining ground in the secular community as well as in our Christian circles, but this can change. In fact, TRACS is presented with a two-edeged sword as well-known schools enter their membership. They gain more exposure, but the question will always loom as to whether the exposure will help or hinder their standing with the secular community. If the media decides to have a feast with a place such as BJU or Liberty as they have done in the past, the educational elite can be influenced, as they have already been. Even with DOE/CHEA approval, no institution is required to accept TRACS accreditation. The dual status is being seen as an extra buffer for potentiol difficulties in either direction.

I greatly appreciate the attitude of Northland Baptist Bible College in regard to their decision to seek TRACS accreditation. Their president wrote a meek-spirited announcement about the decision, and downplaying its role in their ministry, he reminded everyone that the world would take one look at any of our mission statements and think we are fools. That is what I believe our attitude should be about the entire accreditation issue. We go as far as we can with it, but mindfully remember that it is just a tool. It can't drive any of us, because who knows when it will kick us off the bus.

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

Well said.

Bill

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

At present, the State of North Carolina does not grant teacher certification for a BJU teaching degree because it is unaccredited. Will they certify the TRACS accredited BJU degree, assuming that BJU will achieve TRACS accreditation? Any opinions?

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

I would think so, but your guess is as good as mine. I can't think of a legitimate reason why they should not, unless they have some course requirements which a BJU teacher's degree does not require.

Bill

17. dlaferla

dlaferla New Member

Faith:
    Baptist

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread is closed.

Thread Status: