1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tracts

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by mnw, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Just curious about tracts. I am looking at as many different tracts as possible and trying to decide what to use for our church.

We already have some Chick tracts, amongst others, that I think were given to us. I just have concerns about them and wanted to know what others thought and how effective they have found them.

One I definitely would not use and am planning on trashing about 200 of is the "Doom Town" tract. It is plain filth. How that could be used effectively I could never even begin to imagine.

Just looking for any ideas and perhaps suggestions for tracts that people have found effective.

2. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

SBTS has produced a tract/gospel booklet called, "Experiencing God's Grace". It came about as the result of people like Tim Bouegher, and other evangelism students having problems with most tracts that were missing something (emphasis on sin or hell, no repentence, etc).
    They are a little costly, and can only be purchased from SBTS bookstore as far as i know.

You can email the Billy Graham School offices that actually produce the tract at [email protected]

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Stay away from any tracts or any material by Jack Chick or David Cloud. They're poison, and often poison disguized as perfume.

I'm not a big fan of tracts, but there is so much more edifying, loving, and genuine material out there. Check out Way of the Master's site for tract resources, WOTM is about as noble, humble, and honest as you can get as far as witness tools.

4. mnw

mnw New Member

You are right Johnv about the Chick trash. The Doom Town once I mentioned is a Chick tract and it is definitely going in the bin. The other Chick tracts don't seem as offensive, but I am moving toward trashing those also.

I do like the WOTM material and probably will be ordering some items from there.

5. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

WOTM have some very good tracts, but some of them hav microscopic print, and others are only good for use in USA, I suggest you get a sample pack before ordering in quantity.

I have found an excellent tract resource at www.mwtb.org. These tracts are simple, inexpensive, nicely presented on good quality paper. They also use AV references which is important to us.

I don't care too much for Chick tracts, though I know a man who was saved after reading "This Was Your Life" which is probably thebest Chick has to offer.

I didn't know David Cloud produced tracts - I guess Johnv just has some issues there.

6. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I just took a look at Chick's "Doom Town" tract online. I think it is a good presentation of life in ancient Sodom, but the problem is its graphic depiction of these events. The imagery is somewhat disturbing, though arguably reflective of life then and now.

7. mnw

mnw New Member

"Doom Town" does present the truth well, but probably too well.

I just looked at the www.mwtb.org site and it looks promising.

There are some really nice tracts out there, but some are only in versions I don't have confidence in.

That is an issue I may have the WOTM literature.

8. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I'm not keen on everything that Billy Graham has ever done but the "Peace with God" tract his organization puts out is one of the most simple, easy to understand tracts I have ever used or seen.
    I believe a person as young as 7 0r 8 could understand it . The illustrations really add to the message in that tract. I have shared Christ with folk using that tract time and time again and have seen God use it to bring others to Christ.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've seen a few Cloud tracts, but your'e right, I don't think Cloud put them out. They looked like someone took Cloud material and made tracts out of it.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

If your church has a copy machine, the easiest route to go is to just type out several clear Bible verses, give an explanation at the end and print them out. This way you can put in your own church's information easily, including your church's service times and location, and you aren't paying anyone else for use of their materials. There are some groups that offer tracts for free to churches, but they have expenses too....they might not remain totally free forever.

But this is what our church does. We just print our own tracts out. We just have a regular computer and printer, and a copy machine....nothing real fancy. That way we are also never waiting for a delivery of tracts from some other town, and we can change the look of it whenever we want with little to no hassle.

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The greatest tract of all time is the Gospel of John, the first tract ever--see John 20:31. A pastor friend of mine has had John printed up with copious footnotes about salvation, and is using it in visitation with great results.

Next to John, arguably the most used tract of all time is, "God's Simple Plan of Salvation," by Ford Porter, in print constantly for 72 years. There have been over 561,000,000 tracts printed in 112 languages. It is clear and understandable, with many Scripture verses. I believe you can get it printed with your church name and address.

Check it out at: http://www.godssimpleplan.org/

12. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Both MWTB and God's Simple Plan may be bought for less per tract than it costs to photocopy our own material. IMHO Copying is more time consuming, less presentable and more expensive.

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I help oversee the tract ministry at our church and there are two sources of good tracts that I use and recommend that offer many different tract titles and are also printed in many foreign languages.These ministries also provide ALL of their tracts at NO CHARGE although I make it a practice to ALWAYS send a generous offering whenever I order.They are:
    Hope Tract Ministry P.O.Box 609,York,S.C.(USA)29745....This is a local church ministry of the Blessed Hope Baptist Church of York,South Carolina..wonderful high-quality KJV based tracts.

The second source is:Fellowship Tract League...Fellowship is also a local church ministry but is very well established and have also provided all their tracts free for as long as they have published them.Their address is P.O.Box 164,Lebanon,Ohio (USA)45036.They also have a website that you can place orders on..it is
    www.fellowshiptractleague.org .These are also good quality KJV based tracts with many compelling titles and available in MANY languages.

God bless you as we go about bearing the precious seed of the Word of God.The Holy Spirit can and will many times take these simple Gospel messages and work in the hearts of those that see them!

Greg Sr.

14. mnw

mnw New Member

Thank you for that Gregory, bapmom & Ulsterman. I am beginning to mak eup my mind... [​IMG] There is a lot to consider.

I like the "God's Simple Plan" tract.

15. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I use Tracts in my ministry. Matter of fact I just came in from putting out 37 of them.

The Gospel of John is great and I know International Bible Society sells that Gospel in KJV, NKJV, NIV, NLT and the TNIV (Though I am not a fan of the TNIV) and it also sells New Testaments that can be used in door to door evangelism at a pretty inexpensive price.

16. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

17. BruceH

BruceH New Member

Answers in Genesis has some great tracts.

18. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

If you are looking for tracts with a British address for enquirers to write to I would suggest going in to the website of thr Open Air Mission. It is www.oamission.com.

They do a good selection of tracts at £4-00 per 100 including postage, and John's Gospels, Unique Jesus et al.

May the Lord bless your desire to witness for Him.

Bob

19. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Alternatively, you can telephone them on 01582 841141 or Email on [email protected].

They will gladly send you samples

Kind regards to all.

Bob

20. mnw

mnw New Member

Thanks, I'll check those out. [​IMG]