1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Training up children in the way they should go

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Oct 8, 2008.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

In the Veggie Tale thread on this same forum I noticed in most of the responses the main thing that is lacking in childrens lives today. Children need a parent who will train them. Train is such a cold out of date word, but it is Gods word that describes how we are to bring our children up. Children are to be prepared for adult life as they grow. I do not want my child to think as a child when it comes time for them to make adult decisions. Look back a couple of generations, many of our grandparents were married as young teens and already starting families they also had a lower divorce rate and their children turned out to lead productive lives for the most part. How many teens could even begin to make it in a marriage at the age of fourteen or fifteen? We are to train them for adult life as a child.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, deacon jd. Most Christian parents (a) wait until there is a crisis before trying to correct their child, or (b) leave it all up to the church or the Christian school ("We take them to church, so they'll be all right"), or (c) put the job or ministry first until they realize their child is rebellious and it's too late, or (d) all of the above and more.

I believe proactive parenting is Biblical. God said about Abraham, "For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him" (Gen. 18:19). So Abraham trained his son in how to meet problems and temptations before they happened. I think that is what you are advising here.

Proactive, Abraham-type parenting and training works! For the record, our only son has now graduated from Bible college, has graduated from seminary with M. A. and M. Div. degrees, and is now working on his Ph. D. so he can teach at a Christian college. "A wise son maketh a glad father!"

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

How do parents train their children? Well, they could start by being the ones who actually train them.

1. Homeschool.
    2. Family Worship

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Often times, your #1 is not a viable option.

5. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi John of Japan

Very well said!

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

John, Well said!!!
    Children are never the source of happiness and they aren't the problem solvers. Children can bring happiness into a happy home and they can bring misery into a miserable home.

So many of us Christians get caught up in the details of life that it causes our Christian life to falter. Many of us fail at home more than any place else. Training isn't just what we teach, but what we do. So many of our children will do in excess what we do in moderation.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many couples would have divorced if it was more "politically and religiously" acceptable.

Also less women had jobs outside the home, thereby making it difficult for the ladies to "make it on their own"

And remember the children of that generation were the ones who began the sexual and anti-war revolutions of the '60.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My mother and father both had jobs back in the 30's, 40's and 50's but many didn't but many did. Also keep in mind on the anti war deal, their were many who were against us getting into WW II and they were out on the streets and many are today, many Christians and nonchristains.

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

While I don't disagree with what the OP and JoJ have said and especially agree with RB (Homeschool!) I have to go with Salt City on this one and say don't hold previous generations up as the example. The only difference between that day and ours is the availability of divorce. The desire was always there if not the means.

Case in point: Last night I spoke to a friend of mine from karate that I hadn't seen in a while. She hasn't been participating because of non-karate related back injury. In inquiring as to when she'd be back, she told me that her parents were divorcing after 40 years. Her mom was standing right there and promptly explained that it had taken the two of the last twenty years to figure out that neither wanted to be married to the other, but equally didn't want to "disturb" the other! They are at this moment, happy as clams, dividing up their material wealth and need their daughter to help in the process.

Previous generations weren't taught any better than ours how to make a marriage. Only the finanacial and cultural difficulties prevented them from being exactly like we are. The lady above even said specifically "when we married, it was thought that you stayed married."

I do not use previous generations as the example for how my children are to live. Instead I point directly to how God says we are to live in spite of what the world does. There is nothing new under the sun.

10. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Although man has not “evolved” at all(when it comes to sin):
    i.e. (Adam and Eve were just as ornery as we are.)

We do have to consider......
    Because of this truth, we must say that our decedents were wiser than we are.
    (Just as scholars from 150 years ago, were in a whole other class, than scholars today!)

Older things are generally better!

11. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Why? Single parents?