1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Translating grammatical forms

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks

An excellent and compelling argument in favor of inclusion of the questionable phrase. I agree, the phrase should be included but footnoted (i.e. some early witnesses omit the phrase).

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's rich. Instead of answering my original objection to your original rendering, you change the rendering and act as if nothing happened.

Your original rendering in post #28:
    Now you're saying,

#42 John of Japan, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great article, Jon. Thanks for linking to it. If it weren't for P75, the eclectics wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JOJ, thanks for agreeing with my second translation. If you deny they say the same thing, that is rich.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, I agree with your second translation. And I deny that the two say the same thing.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's rich :)

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    guess they did to Van though!

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Van rests happily in his contradictions. :smilewinkgrin:

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rehashing

No,it does not.Every translation has to alter the form in order to reproduce the meaning. Even so-called literal translations have to alter the original form to express the meaning of the text.

Words are translated in their given context,not according to a lexical concordance. It's a principle that Purvey,Luther,Tyndale and other strove for ....the sense,not individual words. Meaning has to be in phrases,sentences and longer units.

If accuracy is a goal then the meaning of the text,not the form is the aim. A faithful translation has to be not only faithful to the original,but to the audience.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it has to be faithful to what was intended by the original authors, as to what it meant to those who read and heard it in their immediate setting!

what did it say and mean to those who tread romans in its original setting, in its historical contex?

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, I don't think you are understanding the difference between syntax and semantics here. You're mixing them up. My statement was strictly about syntax. Lexical units without syntax are contextually meaningless.

#51 John of Japan, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think that at times we can have a version stating what seems to make perfect sense to us today in modern culture/society, yet its NOT what would have been understood to be saying to those who first hear/read it inoriginal setting/contex!

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had said that form does not equal meaning.

Do you agree with the above or not?

Do you agree or not?

Do you agree or not?

Merely saying you believe in syntax does not anawer my questions.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I have said that it does. :type:
    This is too general a statement, too hard to quantify. The answer depends on the target language and what transformations are necessary to produce syntactically correct sentences as compared to the original.
    Yes, I agree, because it proves my point that grammatical forms carry meaning.
    I disagree.
    What? :laugh: "Believe in syntax"???? That's a very strange statement. Syntax exists and the translator must deal with it. Period. It is impossible for the translator to translate if he doesn't "believe in syntax." There is no "believe," there is merely "translate."

This brings me to ask, do you know what syntax is?

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This view is called reader response theory or reader response criticism, and is the lynchpin of dynamic equivalence. I disagree wholeheartedly with it, since there is no way to know how the 1st century readers responded. I translate synax and semantics, not in view of imagined responses.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't DE "read back" though into the txt what current understandings and viewpoints would be regarding the issues discussed?

For example, modern scholarship might view Male domination in the biblcal texts, and seek to "soften" it for female readers?

same way they also have for homosexuals, as in version like the"Queen james" edition?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DE translators may do that sometimes, but that is not taught in the books about DE by Nida and others.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And to this you replied that it was too general of a statement,too hard to quantify etc.

You as a translator have to alter the form of the original in order to convey a reasonable meaning across the languages. it's not a matter of being hard to quantify. It has to occur because Greek,for instance is very different than Japanese. You can't carry the form over intact.

And you said merely that you disagreed with the above with no explanation. But accuracy does demand the meaning of a given text and not the form of the original. Equivalent meaning is the aim,not the form. Otherwise,in English at least,we would not have true translations but nonsensical interlinears. The versions that are hyped as being so literal are in-fact adhering to functionally-equivalent methodologies because the form has to be changed so often so that meaning is expressed.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been waiting for someone to ask me in regards to the OP, what if the target language doesn't have a passive form? A scholar friend wrote me and said that the Coptic language has no passive form. It's even more complicated than that, because in Japanese the passive form is not completely equivalent to the Greek passive. For example, there is an honorific use to the Japanese passive.

Let me say here that the universal grammar theory of linguistics is relevant. Here is a definition: "universal grammar Traditionally of any system of grammatical categories, structures, rules, etc. seen as common to all languages. Thus one in which, e.g., all languages distinguish nouns and verbs, or all languages have rules for anaphora" (Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics, by P. H. Matthews, 421).

Here is an older (1967) definition: universal grammar: The study of languages in general, and the general principles basic to the grammatical phenomena of all languages, without confining itself to any particular language” (Dictionary of Linguistics, by Mario Pei and Frank Gaynor, 224).

Therefore, translation of grammatical form is possible. The target language may not have a certain form that the original has, but it will have a way to express the meaning of the grammatical form of the original.

When I say that form has meaning, I am talking about individual grammatical forms, not sentence order. The sentence order of a language will have significance in the form of nuance or style in that particular language, but such significance is usually non-transferable. On the other hand, generally speaking grammatical forms (noun, pronoun, active, passive, etc.) will have equivalents in the target language.

When this is not so, as in the Greek infinitive which has not parallel in Japanese, I look for the form in the target language which fulfills the same function and conveys the same meaning. In Japanese this may be a present verb followed by the word "koto" (行くこと = "to go") or what is called the "te form" of the verb (行って= "to go"). Simply because there is no parallel sentence structure from language to language does not mean that there are no grammatical equivalents.

#59 John of Japan, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblical justification for a theory of universal grammar:

1. We are made in God's image, and He communicates clearly with Mankind, indicating that we also can communicate clearly with one another.

2. Adam and Eve communicated with each other with language. Since they are the first ancestors, and all humans came from them, it follows that we all have the same capability to learn languages and communicate with them.

3. The same argument can be made from the history of Noah and his wife and family.

4. At the time of the tower of Babel, all people spoke the same language. God confused the languages at that time, meaning He gave new languages to various groups of individuals. This is borne out by the modern language families said to each come from a common ancestor, such as the Indo-European, Sino-Tibetan, etc. (Note: Interestingly enough, Japanese is said to have no similar languages and is part of no language family, meaning it is probable that it may have been settled directly by people from Babel.)

5. At Pentecost, although the languages were miraculously given, they were clearly extant languages, and clear communication took place, including the Word of God. Truth was transported across the language barriers.

The implication for translation of the universal grammar theory are that there must be optimally equivalent grammatical and lexical units from language to language. Translation is not only possible, it is eminently so.