1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Translations- Inspired??

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Luke2427, Sep 4, 2010.

?
  1. There is a translation that is infallible as much as the original autographs

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Translations, while potentially very accurate, are the words of men and subject to error

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

How do you defend the fact that the KJ translators did the EXACT same thing.

If God can translate from one language to another without error, so can man? You can not give me one reason why this is not so.
    If God can create the world so can man? You can not give me one reason why this is not so.
    If God can pay the price for sin so can man? You can not give me one reason why this is not so.

Where does that logic come from? How about because He is perfect and man is not?

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

But when the KJV does this very same thing...

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Wait - I get it - those were marginal notes, they are okay.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

My personal KJBs do not have any notes whatsoever. In the back of one there is a concordance and some maps.

I used to own a Scofield, I got rid of it because of the notes.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Is it your contention that translations are infallible- any of them?

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The original did. Another mistake in the 1611 I suppose?

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Okay, this thread is totally getting out of line and I am just as guilty as anybody here. Winman has derailed it with the KJVO stuff and we all took him on hook line and sinker.

Winman the subject is: "Are Translations Inspired?" Drop the KJVO stuff, because it is not the subject. If you want to open another ridiculous KJVO thread, I'll let you do it unless the other moderators shut it down.

We've been over this stuff enough and you are not going to listen to factual information anymore than a person who uses an MV is going to buy your same old arguments.

Back on are translations inspired, or I'll shut it down. This is getting ridiculous and I helped, so I take much of the responsibility for the derailing. But, I just felt someone needed to correct your theology.

Back to the subject, I think the Lord can help any translator in maybe placing a better group of words into his mind if he is in tune with the Spirit or not, because God does not want his MESSAGE corrupted. As I just listened to a professor, his statement was (I'm paraphrasing I am going on memory.) He points out errors in ALL translations.

His statement was: "God's message was inspired by the MEANING of the Words written down and also the intent of the original writers. All copies of translations since vary in accuracy to one level or another, and it depends on the accuracy of the translation as to how close that Bible is to the Inspired documents."

He also said: "Most modern translations have been worked over very hard to make them say the same MESSAGE (Words--was the same meaning in KJV days before periods, sentences, and today's grammar was added.).

So, if you have a good translation and that translation is more accurate the later it is again depending on the translation itself because it says words we understand today. Point: "What if I were to read the KJV and say that, Peter was stoned. To a group of unchristian and untrained college students. A better translation would be "Peter received a stoning."

As I say and most scholars and pastors who are educated in these matters (whether self educated or formally in the right way) they all indicate that the Ancient Texts are not an issue anymore since only about 1% and it is all repetition of something else (except for maybe handling snakes and drinking poison and what does that have to do with anything, sure we know the desciples could do miracles, not necessarily all Christians---this was proof that Jesus was from God and handling snakes is unnecessary.)

So if the texts are within 1% of full accuracy, then we come to why we translate. As the professor then said, "It is because in 2050, the generation will need a translation in their language and not in 2010 languge. This is not a "dumbing" down, it is changing to the used language (Examples: stoned, gay, etc.); then we come to the conclusion, that translations provide newer generations with newer vocabulary and wording, but God holds His MESSAGE (words--in 1611), inaccurate and without error, not the individual sentence structures that sometimes can be misunderstood or badly translated.

Another thought is that a Bible translated by a committee is usually much more accurate than a one man Bible. Professional translators are more accurate, higher level editors check it and then it is proofed by English instructors of very high level who make sure the grammar in ENGLISH is correct, accurate and consistent throughout the book.

Can God have His hand in that process: Sure. I still believe God can do anything, he just didn't tell us that translations would be inerrant in the "wording and punctuation." I think God does guide some translators a little, but obviously, like all things today, it is not your level of faith that may cause you to die of cancer. Therefore, the translators, will and have made mistakes, including those who recopied the Bishop's so that the King of England would have a monopoly on the printing and use of it.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

I tried to answer it, but it all depends on how a person defines "inspired". The scriptures say all scripture is given by inspiration of God. Jesus was most likely reading a Greek translation of the OT in Luke 4, and the Ethiopian eunuch was most likely also reading a Greek translation of the OT in Acts 8, and in both instances the scriptures themselves called these texts scripture. Well, if they are scripture, and all scripture is given by inspiration of God, don't they have to be inspired?

I have answered you, I have shown two examples of translations in the Bible that are called scripture by scripture itself, one by the Lord Jesus himself. If all scripture is given by inspiration of God, they must be inspired. No?

#48 Winman, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Please respond to post # 45.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Are translations inspired - NO!

Case closed - let's go to lunch. C4k's making green cabbage.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I'm game! Any of that fattening sausage in it to help me keep my ateries clogged?

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. The word of God is infallible, I.E., the history is infallible history, the prophecies are infallible prophecies, and the promises are infallible promises. The word of God, in translation, even a poor translation, is still infallible in that the history, prophecy and promises will never fail. :)

I agree with this very famous statement, "the very meanest translation of the Bible in English, set forth by men of our profession, (for we have seen none of theirs of the whole Bible as yet) containeth the word of God, nay, is the word of God."

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Bingo! It really is pretty simple.

#53 NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Nah - I'm just going for fish and chips!

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Be careful using 'bingo'- you might be called a closet Catholic as W&H are. ;)

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Tha'll do too!

17. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Great point, Dr. C.

Let me ask you this, I have been hoping you would jump in somewhere. Is it possible "the word" as it was translated, would be better translated in Modern English as "the message" or something even closer meaning it is the story God tells us and not the individual Wording? Would that be correct and clear up some of the problems?

Of course a strong KJVO is going to stand on "the Word" as meaning the individual Words, many also including the periods, commas and possibly verses and chapter numbering.

Just curious as to your thoughts on this? Could our translators possibly be more accurate by using what the writer originally meant when the Greek used the ancient word "word" as the "story or the message to man from God"?

I am not saying to mistranslate, but I was saying to look at the use of the word in modern language.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I started this thread to examine the flaw of those who believe their translation is the infallible Word of God. It, of course, is not.

However, because we believe in plenary verbal inspiration- that the words of God are preserved (obviously in the superabundance of manuscripts)- I am not ready to adopt so loose a position that we just focus on the message and not the specific original words that make it up.

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in verbal, plenary inspiration. Therefore I believe the best translation methodology is verbal and formal equivalence (not so-called word-for-word as such is impossible when translating from a language using synthetic logic such as Greek to a receptor language using analytical logic such as English). That will best maintain the intent of the Author (in my opinion). The move away from verbal and formal equivalency in translation is to abandon, at least to some extent, the basis of verbal inspiration to some other theory such as conceptual (thought for thought) or one of its corollaries.

By way of example, verbal/formal equivalency demands that each word of phrase be translated into a word or phrase that best reflects the meaning of the word or phrase in the donor language while, at the same time, maintaining the form of the word or phrase, I.E., maintaining case, number, and gender of the original when brought into the receptor language. This methodology best maintains verbal inspiration, by derivation, of course, in the receptor language. However, it must be recognized this can become quite convoluted and there is often a very fine line between verbal equivalency and dynamic equivalency. Some flexibility is required. :)

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I don't holler about "God forbid" in the KJV, cuz that expression best conveyed the English meaning of "me ginomai", when the KJV was made, better than the literal "may it never be", since "God forbid" is a stronger negative than "may it never(not)be".

I believe that's why the AV men used so many marginal notes. They often wrote the literal interp of a given word or phrase in these notes, & I believe later KJV editions have done their readers a disservice by omitting mosta these notes.