1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Translator Question

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

And please please don't say it is the KJV because it ousted the geneva, but then I will just say obviously the NIV is God's word because it is ousting the KJV. And since this is "obviously" a conspiracy by Satan, then I will say it was "obviously" a conspiracy by Satan for the KJV to oust the Geneva.

The Geneva, good enough for the mayflower, good enough for me [​IMG]

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

:D The only advantage I can think of is the cost. You only need a rock and a stick (or a skate, if you've seen Tom Hanks in Castaway), and some rags to clean up the mess. [​IMG]

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Was that your answer?

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If they are faithful translations, then Yes. I know the JW Bible has some places where it is not a faithful translation. I am not sure about the Douay version. The RCC problem is typically not in their version but rather in their magesterium that trumps their version, no matter what they use.

6. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

And now for H.R.B,

Do you believe the Geneva Bible is the word of God, why or why not?

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi Heidi, I'm not Pastor Larry, but I hope you don't mind someone else giving their opinion to your question. [​IMG]

I believe the JW's NWT is "God's word corrupted". It is an example of a group that have previously decided what they wanted scripture to say (ie. what doctrines they wanted to find), and "translated" accordingly. Theirs is an instance of interpret first, translate second - which is backwards, and different from all "mainstream" Bibles.

Yes, I would consider the Douay "the word of God". I don't consider the apocryphal books as inspired scripture, but as a whole I have no problem calling it the word of God. Even the KJV translators indirectly called it "the word of God".

8. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What'd you expect? A song and a dance? :D

You asked if the Geneva came before the KJV. I said, "yes."

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This was not the question. The question dealt with a verse to demonstrate that the Holy Spirit was not involved in the translation of modern versions.

But while you are on the point, you say that there is a curse on those who add or take away. Does that curse apply to the KJV who added to the Word of God in 1 John 5:7; Acts 9; Luke 17, and several other places?? Or are you inconsistent on this?

Your KJV has not jots or tittles in it. Those are features of the Hebrew script. Thus, your own KJV denies that promise, if indeed that is what it means. Now obviously, it means something else. You have misunderstood the promise.

The fact that you believe this is not the problem. The problem comes in where you have misapplied it and failed to be consistent with it. In Col 1:14, the KJV added words to Scripture. Yet I don’t see you calling down curses on the KJV for that. It appears to be a matter of inconsistency, or a matter of misapplication of the biblical truth involved.

I am in that camp with you. I believe we have the Truth; I love the old paths, and intend to carry that gauntlet for the rest of my life. I will do it in a modern translation because I preach and work with people who no longer speak KJV English.

Then show us where God said that the KJV is the only word of God. That should settle it very quickly. Of course, that question will go unanswered, just as it always does, because you authority is not truly Scripture in this matter but rather the teachings of men. I only wish that you could see how things really are.

I don’t really care what version anyone uses, provided it is a faithful translation. If you like the KJV, use it, read it, preach it, memorize, study it, and live by it. But be biblical about it: Do not question the faith of those who hold to the biblical doctrine of inspiration while using a modern translation.

10. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Okay, I will repost.

Why did Erasmus do it?

Why did he do it five times?

Why did Beza do it?

Why did all of these people do textual critisim?

By the way, which TR (edition please) are you refering to?

Why not at least be consistant and just count the number of manuscripts for each reading. I would disagree with you but at least it would be consistant. (by the way, see you later 1 John 5:7)

Are you aware of how many times the "majority text" (that is, simply counted the number of manuscirpts that support a reading) is different from the TR (I believe the third edition of stephanus since we do need to pick an edition, since they are all different, and I believe I heard once that things different are not the same!) in 1800 places. I know you are aware because it has been posted here about fifty times. Why are they different? Because Erasmus did textual critisim.

Please respond to the above. But as for the Geneva Bible, please explain why the KJV is the word of God and the Geneva Bible is not.

11. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :D The only advantage I can think of is the cost. You only need a rock and a stick (or a skate, if you've seen Tom Hanks in Castaway), and some rags to clean up the mess. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Not to get off topic, but there is another board I read that has a Graemlin that is the smiley face with the center tooth missing, looks kinda redneck. I wish we had that here. I'd use it all the time since I broke my front tooth out eating a taquito about a year ago. I need cheap dentistry.

Okay, to keep this on-topic. All the KJV translators had cheap dentistry, so should we! The new versions promote expensive dentistry because there were modern-day dentists that fixed the teeth of the modern-day translators (hey, I tried).

12. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Amen! Even Jesus had cheap dentistry done:

Mat 27:44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

13. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did Erasmus do it?

Why did he do it five times?

Why did Beza do it?

Why did all of these people do textual critisim?

By the way, which TR (edition please) are you refering to?

Why not at least be consistant and just count the number of manuscripts for each reading. I would disagree with you but at least it would be consistant. (by the way, see you later 1 John 5:7)

Are you aware of how many times the "majority text" (that is, simply counted the number of manuscirpts that support a reading) is different from the TR (I believe the third edition of stephanus since we do need to pick an edition, since they are all different, and I believe I heard once that things different are not the same!) in 1800 places. I know you are aware because it has been posted here about fifty times. Why are they different? Because Erasmus did textual critisim.

Please respond to the above. But as for the Geneva Bible, please explain why the KJV is the word of God and the Geneva Bible is not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It looks like you already answered your own questions, so why do I have to answer them too.

14. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! Even Jesus had cheap dentistry done:

Mat 27:44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Now that's funny, folks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I'm sorry. I will ask three questions with no answers.

Why did Erasmus do textual critisism (or whatever you want to call it) and why is it not identical to simply counting the manuscript evidence?

Which version of the TR do you hold to as God's Word without a single word misplaced?

Why is the KJV the word of God and not the Geneva Bible?

Thank you.

16. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I'm sorry. I will ask three questions with no answers.

Why did Erasmus do textual critisism (or whatever you want to call it) and why is it not identical to simply counting the manuscript evidence?

Which version of the TR do you hold to as God's Word without a single word misplaced?

Why is the KJV the word of God and not the Geneva Bible?

Thank you.

17. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Erasmus had discovered for himself the Syriac or Byzantine line of texts. Seeing these were superior to the Alexandrian line, and himself observing manuscripts that were taken directly from the Vaticanus that perverted the scripture to a great degree, he decided to catalogue the existing Greek from the Syriac line. That is why Erasmus compiled the texts into the Textus Receptus.

I cannot answer that as I have never personally studied all of the versions of the TR.

I have not examined the Geneva bible. Due to this, I cannot attest to its veracity or trustworthiness.

You are welcome. :D

18. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Why is it not the same as the "majority text" (once again, defined as the reading with the most manusript evidence). Why did he say (in your own words) "This isn't part of the bible"? Why did he do five revisions? Was his first revision not the word of God? Was his second not the word of God? Which revision was the word of God? (might I add in case our we forget, things different are not the same)

Do you believe there is a Greek text called the Receieved Text that is perfect in every word, or is the perfect in every word Bible only in English (that is the 1769 edition of english)?

It seems like a no brainer to me, the Geneva Bible is does not say the same thing as does the KJV in every instance from Genesis to Revelation there for it should not be the word of God. Do you agree or disagree with this? A simple yes or no please, before your explain your answer.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I asked you for some biblical support of which you offered none. Why not? Do you have no biblical support?? I believe Scripture was completed in ad95 with the writing of revelation instead of 1611. I can affirm without mental reservation that the Spirit is most certainly active in faithful modern versions today. To attribute them to Satan is a most unwise thing to do. It cannot be supported by Scripture and amounts to an emotional argument designed to prey on those without biblical training to know the difference. Again, I would suggest that you offer some biblical support or offer an apology and retraction. I see no other options.</font>[/QUOTE]When I say Satan is behind the movement of the new translations, I believe I am using righteous judgement. Satan perverted God's word in the garden when he told Eve around 90% of the truth and look what happen. The modern versions(some) have 90% of the truth in them. Also, God does not speak in an audible voice, He uses His word to speak to us with the help of understanding from the Holy Spirit. With that said, how can you not believe in a perfect word of God? Is every version out there the word of God? Why or why not?

Pastor Larry, by your name I take it that you are a pastor. My question to you is, if I came to your church with my King James Bible, can I follow along word for word as you read each and every time from the Bible?

BTW to anyone, what is IMO? Also, FYI I am a boy, hear me roar.

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

I said:

Why don't KJV-onlyists ever make theological assertions they can demonstrate biblically?

Refreshed replied:

The virgin birth occurred.

Nice attempt at changing the subject, but I was referring to your assertion (for which you provided no theological proof whatsoever) that the Holy Spirit was involved in the translation of the King James but not in the modern versions. To wit:

I suppose, however, that had I made such a reckless and questionable theological claim as you, I would also want to change the subject rather than have to answer for it.

And why can't they make their case without blaspheming?

I believe that the KJV is the Bible God gave to the english-speaking peoples.

There you go, making unsupported theological claims again, i.e. "God gave" the KJV in some way that he did not "give" the NIV or NASB.

Present your credentials. Who are you, that I should just accept ex cathedra assertions like the above without Biblical proof that the assertions are true?

Anyway, again you avoided what I really said. I was referring to this:

So you believe the Devil was responsible for the Word of God, eh? Didn't Jesus say that attributing the works of God to the Devil was an unforgivable sin?

No wonder I called you "reckless" and "intemperate." KJV-onlyists apparently think they can spread their garbage to the four winds as though it were God's own truth.

You will make account for your words before Almighty God, I can assure you. "But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment" (Matt. 12:36).

Pardon us for believing we have the Truth.

You may believe you have the Truth, but the fact is you are peddling a false gospel.

We just are not willing to accept that God said something or didn't say something because a "scholar" said so.

And yet you expect us to accept what you say because you said so. Hypocrisy, thy name is "KJV-onlyism."

Shameful.

The really sad part of this is, you have the temerity to demand that I treat you nicely while you reserve for yourself the right to run roughshod over God's holy Word with impunity.

[ December 12, 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Ransom ]