1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Travelling to Un Zud

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Melanie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Come and see the town of

www.wanganui.govt.nz

It is of course the best reason to visit New Zealand/Aotearoa

It is a hop,skip and a jump from the USA!!!!!:laugh:

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I've always wanted to visit New Zealand! Maybe someday I'll make it. Thanks for the link!

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here is another reason to visit the Shakey Isles....

www.geonet.org.nz

:laugh:

Try scrolling through the recent earthquake activity and you will see living in Christchurch/ Darfield region is like living on a wobbly jelly ( I think you call it jello!)

#3 Melanie, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2010
  4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Cool map!

I used to live in Japan, so the small ones wouldn't bother me at all. :) Just hope the big one doesn't come while I'm there on vacation!!

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was really freaked out when I first arrived in NZ and felt the earth wobble two weeks later. The first experience in my 50 odd years. I was more aware of them but as time passes you do get blase. Anything under a 5 really does not register for me, I don't like them however, you never know when it will stop and if there are more to come.

New Zealand is a stunningly beautiful place, it is so little after Australia and I am boring in saying it is so green because it is. The paddocks look like green velvet and the cows and sheep always seem to sitting down, because there is so much feed.

Yes it rains alot, Wellington (the capital) is one of the windiest places imaginable, but beautiful on a calm day.

Where I live you can see Mt Ruapahu on a clear day and the two attendant mountains...all of which are active volcanoes, I believe.

The place could not be more different to Queensland, yes I miss the subtropical plants, but not the sere inland. So many of NZ place names have the Maori word "wai" in them denoting water.:thumbsup:

#5 Melanie, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

It sounds simply lovely! My son has a friend who has taken a job in NZ, and we have been hearing about it on facebook. Maybe one day I'll be able to see it in person. :)

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hi Gwen, Thank you for the responses, I would love to visit Georgia USA, I am a lover of history and historical sites/ olde worlde houses etc, and of course the way the folk talk!:smilewinkgrin:

#7 Melanie, Nov 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  8. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Come on over, and I'll take you round and show you the sights! And of course, charm you with my southern talk. LOL! Georgia is nice this time of year, and we are enjoying a lovely autumn. Finally, a break from the heat! Yay!!

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gwen, would that be fantastic indeed, however maybe one day....

Wish me luck, I am off to the South Island for a week as of tomorrow, my first trip to the apparently more beautiful of the 2 islands (there are several little ones as well). It is quite costly to ferry over because the pay scales are lower here so costs seem more of a strain. Foreign visitors reap a benefit in a positive way however.

I will tour down the east cost from Picton where the ferry lands after hopefully a smooth crossing (this is very much pot luck!!). New Zealand is a windy place overall.

From Picton to Kaikoura (big seal colony apparently) and then inland to Christchurch (recently famous for its earthquake activities.....over 2000 now so it should be interesting....mostly minor). From there we shall go inland to see the country and up to Mt Hutt. We shall then go to Arthur's Pass and then through to Greymouth (famous for its almost nonstop rainfall).

From there up the West Coast to Nelson (sun,sun,sun) and follow the road around the Queen Charlotte Sounds back to Picton and over to Wellington and back to Wanganui.

Do you enjoy travel and do you do much?

#9 Melanie, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010