1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tree of Life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

What is your understanding of the Tree of Life?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Was the Tree of Life a type and or shadow of Christ?

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

In Genesis it was a tree that produced edible fruit. Anyone that ate of it would have lived forever.
    In Proverbs 3 it is wisdom.
    In Proverbs 11 it is the fruit of the righteous.
    In proverbs 13 it is hope realized.
    In Proverbs 15 it is a wholesome tongue.
    In Revelation 2 it a tree that produces edible fruit to be eaten by those who overcame.
    In Revelation 22 it is a tree that produces 12 manner of fruit that is only accessible to those who do His commandments and is also for the healing of the nations.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe so...

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe it is a metaphor for several things, including that God gives us life, that we gain eternal life in fellowship with God through Jesus, and that partaking in God's plan for us rather than our own way, is the way of life and not death. So in short, yes, the tree represents a type of Christ.

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

I appreciate the good responses. :thumbs:

Before we get too involved, I would like to ask Cutter if in fact the Tree of Life in the garden could have or did represent a type of Christ?

7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I have never viewed the Tree of life as being a type or representation of Christ. Quite frankly, I do not know why anyone would.

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: From Genesis 3:22 God indicates that the fruit of this tree allowed those who might partake of it to live for ever. I would hope that we would agree that the soul had already been created to live forever, so this tree of life represented the ‘ability’ should we say, to remain in communion with God as before the fall, or so it would indicate is the case to me. The Tree of Life seems to appear to be the very means by which the soul could remain at one with God by partaking of its fruit. Jesus said, Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Does that raise any ‘possibilities’ in your mind as to types and shadows? It certainly does to me. One needed to partake of the Tree of Life to live for ever, and one needs to partake of Christ to live forever.

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

The tree of life was an actual fruit bearing tree that God created. It only existed in the Garden of Eden. Because flesh by nature is corruptible, it was the only means for Adam to free from corruption. Adams flesh was corruptible before he sinned, but was kept from it because of his access to this special tree.

I have no reason to think it was a type of Christ. If there is scripture to show that it is I am not aware of it. I see the comparison but don't think it has scriptural backing.

I don't think the tree had anything to do with communion with God, rather it merely made it possible for flesh to be free from corruption.

Here begins my speculation: I think God never intended Adam to live forever in his corruptible body of flesh. Scripture tells us that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. It seems that God wanted to have man exist in a state of temptation (or better yet, testing) for some reason. This reason may have something to do with Satan and the angels that were sent to roam the earth. God may have wanted to put a man in the middle of Him and Satan to defeat Satan on his turf.

I think this is not only an interesting subject, but ont that is very important in understanding God, man, flesh, salvation, and mosty importantly in doing away with the false "sinful nature" doctrine.

10. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Cutter,

Trustiti,

This might help you all to understand. Christ speaking...

I have no problem with the analogy at all, or the possibilty of the Tree of Life in the Garden being a "type" of Christ. Seems to be a wonderful picture of Christ.

The similarities are undeniable.

God bless,

Mike

#10 D28guy, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Read Rev 22:2... Is that in the garden?

The reason it is viewed as a type of Christ is because of it's saving power. Had Adam of eaten of the tree he would have lived forever. Faith in Christ and you will live forever. Christ is the only way. Now if Christ is the only way and this tree will also save then...

Some also believe the cherub and flaming sword were also removed when the veil was rent in two.

#11 LeBuick, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  12. trustitl

trustitl New Member

No, it is in the new heaven and new earth that God will create. It's leaves will be for the healing of the nations, and I'm not exactly sure what that means.

If it were a type of Christ, why did God NOT want Adam to eat of it and live forever? It is because it was for making his flesh live forever and had nothing to do with "spiritual" life.

Never heard of that one.

13. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Sorry, but it didn't. Christ is saying He is a vine. I never ate a vine, and probably never will. Also, he says that those that abide will bear the fruit. Surely we are not to eat our our fruit. I think you are trying to hard to make scripture say something that it doesn't.

And as I said above, if the tree were a type of Christ, why would God NOT have wanted Adam to eat of it.

14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

To D28Guy, I agree with what trustitl said in response to your analogies. They are loose and a stretch. I still maintain there is no reason to believe the Tree of Life represented Christ.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Where does it say God didn't want man to eat of the tree of life? I believe the time hadn't come for man to obtain eternal life. This would eliminate the entire story of Jesus and give the Father no reason to send his Son. However we know the Lamb was slain before the foundation of the world. Your sequence of events would leave no room for God's mercy, grace and would not leave him worthy of all praise honor and glory. Why you ask, "for His name sake".

Where does it say his flesh would live forever? I know that is a common view that God said he would live forever in the flesh, his sinful state. I believe the tree of life was always intended to provide eternal spiritual life. Also, man's punishment was to till the ground and work for his food. Would this condition be met in the garden?

God is a Spirit and he wants your soul. I don't see why he would want our flesh to life forever and I don't think I would want to live forever in this limited state.

16. trustitl

trustitl New Member

"and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden" Gen. 3:22-23

"and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden" Gen. 3:22-23

There is no scripture to support that as far as I know.
    Here is the curse on Adam.
    Gen. 3:17-20 " And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life. Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return."

He doesn't either. Read I Corinthians 15.

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

What a great list and picture of Christ Cutter has provided for us. Certainly Christ is the Essence of our every need!!

HP: In the following verses Christ is denoted as the Source of our wisdom and righteouness, and hope of eternal life. Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: Ro 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: 1Jo 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

HP: Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

HP: 1Pe 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

HP: Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

HP: Re 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
    2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I have always heard that Christ is the Great Physician. Mr 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Clearly the Tree of Life is directly associated with Christ and our relationship to Him. He alone is our strength of wisdom, righteousness, ability to speak with a wholesome tongue, our only certain hope of eternal life, the very fountain of our EVERY need!

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This discusion boils down to an interpretation of scripture. You say this live for ever is physical. I say it is spiritual. You obviously have your reasons however, I don't see anywhere else in the Bible to support a physical body living forever. That was not the lesson Jesus brought from on high.

The physical is a realm governed by time. Things age, grow old, decay, "moth ridden" etc... The spiritual realm doesn't have limitations as the spirit should remain as a childs for eternity. This is why I don't accept the view of physical eternal life. Though the garden was physical, the lessons including the fall of man were spiritual. God is spirit. Disobedience is not the physical act, it's the spiritual act. This was one of the major lessons Jesus tried to teach us while he was here yet man continues to see things from a physical perspective.

He said, "say to the mountain be thou removed". You think that is physical?

Look at this lesson real closely...

Mt 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The Master tried to teach us to get beyond thinking physical, Adam fell before he ever tasted that fruit Just like if you get mad enough to think your brother dead you have committed murder. The same as one who is behind bars.

Lk 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
    5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

I truly believe God does and has always cared for your soul. Living in the physical forever would really suck with all the baggage that comes with this flesh.

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I have been tied up and need to catch up on all the posts. This one in particular had me thinking last night. I could not help but think about Jesus as He spoke to His disciples as to why He spoke in parables. Why did He not just tell all to all?

Mt 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
    14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
    15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

“Unless ye repent ye shall all likewise perish.” Does the possibility exist that Adams’ heart was not right with God at that time, and that once sin had taken root with its eternal reaching tentacles and influences that such direct access was no longer possible, but rather the ONLY way to God then became Christ Himself as our only Advocate and Redeemer? As we repent and trust Christ in faith, does He not become our certain hope of life eternal even as the Tree of Life in the garden had at one time provided that same life via obedience and the partaking of its fruit?

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

LeBuick, I appreciate your posts on this matter. I agree that God did not so design the physical to inhabit eternity, nor could it as you have aptly pointed out. To consider the eternal as inhabiting the finite for eternity is, for lack of a better word, absurd., as well as contrary to Scripture. Clearly, that which is seen is temporal. “ 1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.”

For those that disagree, tell us how physical living creatures on a finite planet can multiply infinitely and occupy such finite space for eternity.