1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tree of Life

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure what you mean by flesh genders. I know when we're resurrected we will be beyond sex. But we'll still have a physical resurrection. And being human isn't a bondage. Sin is.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Tell that to my father who has passed on to be with the Lord. The closest he ever got to the heavens was peering through the tiny fuzzy little lens of a backyard telescope, but he loved to do even that.

As some might say, you came too late to tell him that being capsulated by human flesh was not bondage. :godisgood:

PS: I would not be surprised if you do not hear from many that are in some bondage, limitation, or incapacity the bondage the flesh genders for us humans.

#82 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
  3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That condition came with sin. I don't believe God created us that way. I believe we will be resurrected as human beings not in bondage to sexuality but human biengs none the less (glorified body?). I don't believe we'll be angles are some such.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Adam brought physical death (flesh) to all mankind, when he fell. He also brought death to his own soul and was in need of a Saviour. That is why the flaming swords were put to keep the way of the Tree of Life which is the word of God. Adam was no different then we after the fall, he was in need of a Saviour and in order to get there had to go through the word of God.(The flaming swords). It was once appointed unto man to die, that is the flesh. When we come to know God and glorify him not as God, We sin and therefore bring forth death. The flesh already had the appointment of death, so it is the "soul that sinneth" shall die, and then is in need of a Saviour.

BBob,

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I am simply asking for the reason that you think neither term is ever mentioned in scripture.

Agreed.

In fact 1Cor 15 uses the term "immortal" for just that very purpose as you have mentioned -- pointing to the time when we "put on immortality".

So -- this is also agreed.

I agree that some do teach that --and I agree that the term "eternal soul" conveys that idea perfectly.

I am simply asking if you have a guess about why it is a term never used in scripture.

I think the term "eternal immortal soul" identifies the teaching you are speaking to perfectly.

I am just asking about the lack of reference to that or even to "immortal soul" or even "eternal soul" in scripture.

in Christ,

Bob

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

But there was a law between Adam and Moses from the order of Melchisedec.

Paul explains this here;

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
    46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
    47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Christ sacrifice was for our spiritual being.

He risen form clearly had flesh and bones as he stated this to his disciples. However he did walk through a closed door so it was not flesh as we know it. His physical death was the sacrifice, shedding of sinless blood, the slaying of the lamb etc...

I can't prove definitively that man didn't die in all three categories just as you can prove man died in all three categories so this is a discussion with no true conclusion. My point was that Christ died that our soul should not be lost and if the body gets to ride along them so be it. He didn't die for our flesh.

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe God intended to redeem man entirely everything soul, and body. We agree then to disagree. However, I have a serious question for you. What separates you from the gnostics of the early church?

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My last post seems harsh (sorry). Its very early. What I mean is that what you're saying sounds very close to certain gnostic beliefs mentioned by the Early Church Fathers. Most of their believes came from Platonism where he believed matter was corrupt and so there was this conserted effort to separate Christ, and christians from matter.

9. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Yes I believe in a physical resurrection. I am not aware of the Neoplatonists and gnostics ideas on the material world. Do they think corruptible means evil by nature or merely subject to corruption? I think it is the latter. I think there was corruption prior to the fall of man but man was kept from it because of the Tree of Life. This corruption was part of creation and God saw it as good because it was natural. For example, the leaves would have changed color and "regenerated" in spring. These leaves would break down and provide food for worms. When a dinosaur stepped on a mouse it would have died and subsequently decayed. These are "good" functions in a perfect creation.

Also, I do not think Genesis is a legend but rather an account of real events that occurred as written.

Finally, I do not see Jesus as an agent created by God who then went on to create the world. The Son did create the world but not in the form of some subordinate to God.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Couple of thousand years... :laugh:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Understood, I'm not saying the body won't rise from the grave. Just as Jesus rose, flesh and bones, so shall we rise to be with him forever. I also believe the resurrected body is different from our current flesh. Mainly, blood will no longer be the life and we won't be constrained to earthly influences or physics.