1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tree of Life

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jun 22, 2009.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My dad and I were discussing the Tree of Life yesterday. He believes Adam and Eve never ate from the Tree of Life prior to eating of the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil. I countered with the fact God said they could eat of any tree in the garden except the Tree of Knowledge. He alluded to the fact if they had eaten of the Tree of Life prior, there would have been no fall. I then countered that the Tree of Life seems to be physical in nature, as believer have eternal, spiritual life upon faith in Christ.

Thoughts?

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well one thing I notice is that God kicked them out so that they could not eat it and live forever. I think the tree of life had a sustaining effect but after they ate the other "knowledge of good and evil" they would have live on in an eternal fallen state if they ate from the tree of Life afterwords. My 2 Cents :type:

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I'll cast in my two with yours- now we have 4 cents

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was the Tree of Life something that was eaten from prior to the fall?

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Tree of Life itself have eternal life, or did its fruit have seeds and thus there are generations of Trees of Lives(?)?

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Listen to you Dad. That is what His Word, the Bible says.

But I disagree they would not fall. How awful to live a life, without death. No resurrection, and no rapture.

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think you're on to something here...

Was there sin in the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil or was the disobedience the sin?

Is life in the tree or is life in eating from the tree as commanded?

Is Christ the tree of life? If so then I don't believe they partook before the fall since it was the fall that gave his mission purpose.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where does it say they never ate from the Tree of Life prior to eating from the Tree of Knowledge? God's command was to eat from any tree but the Tree of Knowledge.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

How are we to know they even did :)
    There were many trees around bearing good fruit, not to mention it is most probable they were only in the garden a short time period - maybe a couple days but no more than 9 months. It seems rather odd though doesn't it, for God to make this statement:
    Now if eating from the tree will make them live forever; Can we state they have 'already' eaten from it??

Not if God meant what He said.

But what is really odd is that eating of it will cause them to live forever. Now if it means eternity, that WOULD be something now wouldn't it :) But I think here the term means 'long duration' or 'long life'. I mean without eatint it they lived 800 to 900 or so years before they died and look at the heart-break and sorrow they had and saw during that time. Can you imagine a life that you could never escape such horrors time on end without end?

Secondly I think it was put into man to desire longevity in life but if one could keep his loved ones from death, how would Christ be able to die if they all would seek to keep all they loved from death - thus giving infant children this so death would not come to them and take them away. All the other horrors endured would be bad enough but if you could hold on to your children and know that you parents, wife, grandparents, ect... that might make those things somewhat more bearable, if they would never had to die. I think that reality would be to tempting for them and it would have hindered God's plan which involved and indeed necessitated such hardship and love and death.

Just my nickle tossed into the bucket :thumbs:

#10 Allan, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

You nickle hit the target

Amen Allen.
    That's the crux of the whole argument, for this subject, or for any others. Do we believe God?

Another aspect as we delve into this matter is coming to the realization that God from the beginning knew the outcome. Notice it was Satan who enticed the woman, and not Adam. I say God knew this.

Then we look at what Satan said, "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
    2. And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
    3. But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
    4. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
    5. For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
    6. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat", (KJV) Geneses 3:1-6.

Satan deceived the woman with the statement "Ye shall not surely die." He drew her attention to One Tree in the Midst of the Garden. He didn't want her to focus on the Tree of Life, for he, Lucifer had a plan, but didn't know what God knew. This was Satan's first mistake. God set him up in order that Lucifer could believe he had a shot at becoming as God, but could not just become equal with God, but also be far above him, having God under his feet.

This is the reason the third of the angels in heaven believed him. He is brilliant, powerful, so attractive, and what PIPES he has to make such beautiful music. It is just so easy to LOVE this guy. A good lesson here is if Satan could sway an untold, enormous amount of angels to believe, we don't stand a chance against him, unless we believe God the Word, Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God. And something else we should take note of, And Believe, is Damascus Road did happen, and we have further revelations of God, that He had hid from Man (angels are considered man, as they are also called sons of God). God defeated this Upstart at his own game at the Cross by the Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Life is in the Blood, and is seeing to it that we that believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for our Salvation eat of that other Tree in the Garden, the Tree of Life. God deceived the deceiver.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We don't know for certain they did or didn't, but we do know for certain they were permitted to (pre-fall). There was only one tree they were commanded not to eat of...and they did.
    ...and I'll counter that with 'was it physical life or spiritual'? If God was speaking of spiritual life in Gen. 3:22, then Christ and the cross were unnecessary, as partaking of the TOL would be all that is necessary. Remember, God said if they did eat of it in their fallen state, they would still live forever, so either that is another dispensation of salvation, or it is referring to the physical. If it is speaking of physical life, that would make better sense. Also, it doesn't state eating of the tree only once will give eternal life, only that eating of it gives eternal life. Since the TOL exists today, and we will be eating from it in the New Jerusalem, it is quite possible this may be the means God uses to provide eternal, physical life. We don't know. Maybe eating it's fruit once yearly, once a century, or once in a millenia will sustain eternal life. The fact it was in the Garden to begin with, and knowing man was created to live eternally initially would lend to this notion.

#12 webdog, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Now we're up to $.09!

Seriously- a fascinating series of questions.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems pretty clear if you just believe God! Genesis 3:22

KJ: -- And now, LEST he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever,

NIV: -- He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

NAS: -- and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"

NLT: -- What if they reach out, take fruit from the tree of life, and eat it? Then they will live forever!”

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Question... Do you believe it's like taking the medicine before you get the illness?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe God...but what you posted makes nothing clear.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wrote an article on they imagery of trees in the Bible for a seminary class and then adapted it for my site. Here is an excerpt relevant to the discussion:

http://www.christiananswersforthenewage.org/Articles_Trees1.html

18. just-want-peace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LeBuick sez:
    Sorry LB; I have no idea what you are talking about!?

webdog sez:
    Unless I misread your OP, you are asking 2 questions:
    1 Did they eat of the tree of life before eating of the tree of knowledge? and
    2 Was the tree of life giving eternal life physically or spiritually?

1 The quoted scripture, (AFTER the "apple" episode), makes it plain that they had NOT yet partook of the life tree;

2 It also strongly implies that, should they partake of the tree after eating the "apple", that they would live forever, and now being fallen creatures, that that would not be a desirable outcome. This had to be a "PHYSICAL FOREVER", because they never ate, but, saved or unsaved, the spirit lives forever.

Hope this clears up what I was saying, but if those were not your questions, then I apologize and you can just disregard my post!

19. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

20. just-want-peace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grasshopper sez:
    Good question!

Since we aren't given any info re this, my assumption, and just mine alone - no scripture to verify/denounce - is that one nibble of the fruit of the tree of life would have yielded permanent results just as the "apple nibble" of the tree of knowledge did.

Another good question!

Again, my assumption, is that physical death was via Adam by being denied access to the tree of life, AND spiritual death was the inevitable result of the disobedience of Adam against God -- as was prescribed for satan & his cronies.

All speculation granted, but to me it at least offers some explanation, even if incomplete.