1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tricky situation..some advice please...

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by AlexL, Jan 1, 2008.

1. AlexL

AlexL New Member

Hi

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I just finished constructing a house which went over budget and wiped out my savings. The savings always supplemented my income, as I never used credit cards. I am now in a situation where my income is not enough. My only recourse is to use credit cards or other loan to support the shorfall. My wife is expecting another baby, so I cannot ask her to work. I am getting a payrise this month, which will help, but only a little.

Also, I have always tithed and supported missionaries. I have always done this out of faith and not out of some duty.

The shortfall (once I get my payrise) is the amount of my tithe and missions giving. I can't help thinking this is some great test from the Lord. I didn't have any intention to stop tithing as I am convicted the Lord will provide from somewhere. He has never let me down when it comes to finances and always blessed me.

I talked to a christian friend and they said that we are only meant to give out of our ability to give and that if I don't have the ability then I am being less responsible by causing us to go into debt.

This has left me a bit confused and I feel a bit of a failure to get myself into this situation. I have prayed but still feel stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Alex

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I know that many feel that we don't need to tithe and that we should just give what we can but I don't. If you feel that you should tithe, and that is pretty much what your shortfall will be, then I'd suggest getting another job that would make up that money - or figure out ways to cut costs. You can get a paper route even and that can bring in some extra money. Do some consulting in your job if you can. Honestly, I'd say that a home that pushed you over the edge just might need to be sold so that you can get back on your feet. Seriously. I know that I've been brought to the place twice where we decided that we needed to cut costs and that would entail selling our home. Each time, just before we listed it, God provided a way out much like He did with Abraham and Isaac.

Pray about what God wants you to do. It may be cutting down on your tithe and offerings for now but if your living expenses have increased to such a degree because of this house, then maybe God has something else in store.

3. AlexL

AlexL New Member

Thanks for the message. I guess prayer is the only answer at this time. I thought about getting some kind of second job, but I don't have time during the week and weekends are full because I am so active in church. I need time to prepare sunday school lessons, music preparation etc.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your friend gave you good advice. Tithing is not commanded, and we are to give cheerfully. If you can still tithe while in the financial situation you are in cheerfully, and not obligatory, that is between you and God, and you should do what you are convicted of. If it were me, since tithing is not required, I would avoid going into debt and resume tithing once the situation is taken care of (I have done just this in the past).

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Hi Alex
    Yes, I agree tithing is not scriptural. You can search the word tithe here on the Board to view past discussions. Here is scripture

But if any provide not for his own, and specifically for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.1Tim 5:8

This is cut and dry. Your family comes first. The bills must be paid, food must be on the table, the kids must be taken care of. When you donate money you do not have, you are risking going against the Lords command to take care of your family.

For if the readiness [to give] is present, it is acceptable according to what a man has, not according to what he does not have 2 Corinthians 8:12

This means give according to what you have. I believe a wealthy person ought to be giving much more than 10%, but in our church, most of the wealthy give maybe 2% of their income. A much smaller portion of their income than the poor do.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.2 Corinthians 9:7

If you give with valid concerns about meeting the following months bills and feed your family, that is not going to make you feel cheerful

When and if you become financially stable, then give more than 10%. Remember the days you couldn't do so. If the Lord wishes you to have money to give, he will provide it for you over and above the funds required to keep your household afloat. My 2 cents

#5 Joe, Jan 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008