1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trinity accreditation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by paidagogos, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

A couple of questions

Hi Dr. Bob,
    You have first hand experience with Trinity both as a student and now an alumni. How do you view their relationship with the University of Wales? I've read that you teach at a college, so how do you and the majority of the academic community view this relationship between Trinity and Wales? Would academic credentials be viewed positively with Wales validation or would Trinity's past cause some concerns? I understand that it would depend on the situation and who was evaluating it, but I guess I'm looking for a sense of Trinity/ Wales validation overall utility and acceptance. I'd really appreciate any further thoughts that you may have.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No clue about Wales

In 2000 when teaching at a secular college I got paid at an MA level, since my DMin and EdD were from unaccredited seminaries. A couple years later I taught the same class and since Trinity was in candidate status for North Central Accrediting, I got paid at a Doctoral level.

This fall I was offered (but had to turn it down) to teach but with my paid back at the Master's level. They simply have a book and if the school is listed as "accredited" I get more $$. Nothing about Wales equivalency, etc.

BTW, teaching at a good ifb college (Pillsbury Baptist Bible College) in 1996-2000 I was paid about half of what a starting kindergarten teacher in our city would get today. BUt that's another story!! :)

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Marketing strategy!

Read below the high sell marketing email recently sent out by Trinity. Does this show an interest in providing a quality educational experience or does it smell of slick salesmanship? IMHO, it is the later.

Read this!

Dear Friend,
    We may not be able to change the country's political or economic situation or the anxiety that many of us feel, but we can be bold and we encourage you to be bold as well. What is God telling you? Has God impressed on your heart the need to begin or continue your education to better serve the kingdom? Have you been distracted or deterred because of what you hear or read in the news?
    Trinity is doing its part; The Matching Grant Plan described below allows anyone to enter a program, pre-paying or starting with a deposit, and rewards their achievements by paying for future courses. Look closely at this special offer and consider God's calling on your life.
    Matching Grant Plan Outline:
    Enroll for 3-5 classes. Upon completion, receive a Grant that pays 100% of the tuition for your next 3-5 classes.Student can begin with a minimum 10% tuition deposit plus fees.If a student wishes to pre-pay (pay in full) for the first set of classes, we will offer an additional grant that discounts his tuition cost by 20%.The Matching Grant will be applicable to the entire degree.The Matching Grant special applies to tuition ONLY. Textbook costs are also not included in, or a part of, this grant plan.
    This Matching Grant plan is effective from 9/25/08 through 10/31/08. Our Enrollment Advisors are available from 8 to 5 CST at 1-800-457-5510. Masters and doctoral level students are also encouraged to call Dr. Robert Shigley (toll free) at 1-866-203-4175.

Trinity Enrollment Team
    Trinity College of the Bible and Theological Seminary
    4233 Medwel Dr.
    Newburgh IN 47630

www.trinitysem.edu

Sure sounds like money-grubbing to me. What do you think?

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You get what you pay for.

LOTS of schools offer in-kind grants and reduced tuition for full cash payment, etc.

I would be suspicious, like you, since no where do they explain where this money is coming from. Probably a "pyramid"; some pay in and then that money is used to cover "free" courses for another.

Remember, there is truly very little overhead/cost to Trinity. They have minimal campus buildings so tuition for a course pays far more than what it takes to deliver said course to the student.

Unless money is being pumped back into the systen, it is a cash cow for the "operators". Many high-caliber schools are going to external ed, but using any "profit" to fund its faculty and campus life. Don't see that at TTS.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I guess that speaks to a larger issue: is for-profit Christian education unethical or disobedient in some way? I know that some in academia turn their nose at any for-profit educational endeavor, but that's another discussion for another time...although somewhat akin I suppose.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does profit include the adding of properties, buildings and cash to accounts like most of the Christian schools do to perpetuate themselves and you might add the bigger and better sports programs and athletic give aways? Just depends on who profits - staff/faculty or the organization. :laugh:

The only time I hear from my "almsa matters" is when they want money, at least with Trinity you get some teaching :thumbs: