1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trinity College of The Bible and Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that Trinity is close to being a Regionally accredited school, do you think it will become a respected institution?

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I'm not sure. Trinity carries a lot of baggage from its past, but if it achieves RA, perhaps a few years may remove its past from people's collective memory. Of course, it remains to be seen whether it actually achieves RA.

Blessings,
    Bill

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I ran across this message on Degreeinfo.com about a conversation about TTS between an undergrad and an advisor at TTS. I thought it was interesting:
    "I just got off the phone with one of my academic adivsors at Trinity and I asked her why the Doc of Arts in Bibical Studies did not require the study of one or both of the Bibical langauges?

Her answer was this, 'Trinity allowed each student to personally specialize his/her Doc program to meet their owns needs, depending on how they were going to use their degrees and what type of ministry the Lord would lead them to.

If one was going into a major research ministry, the study of the of Hebrew or Greek would be a must!

However, with that said, this is about to change!'

She also said, 'That because Trinity is seeking/going for RA accredation, Trinity will be at some point in the near furture will be raising the bar (so to speak) of the Doc level degrees and making it mandatory to study at least one of the Bibical langauges of the Hebrew or Greek.'

4. Jabbezzz

Jabbezzz New Member

Ummmm, as did Saul of Tarsus............ [​IMG]

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

Ummmm, as did Saul of Tarsus............ [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]So has Trinity now become "converted"?

Bill

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

If TTS's repentance = getting RA , then my salvation = taking a self improvement class [​IMG]

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know if Trinity has now been "converted". However if they are heading for RA they will be making some changes. Btw, I believe they probably will gain RA. However I don't believe it will change the status of their school. I agree with Bill, the school has too much baggage in its past. Yes it can, and one day probably will, overcome that baggage. However I doubt that will help their graduates in the near future.

For distance learning degrees I would HIGHLY recommend Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary (of Liberty University). Of course I am not bias here, I will just be one of their alumni by summers end (MA/Religion). [​IMG]

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

Congratulations, Martin. Look forward to hearing about your completing the MAR.

Bill

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

congrats Martin

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks alot. I will be very happy when I finish the MAR. It has been hard work. Martin.

11. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats to Martin. The MAR is a really good degree that might get him in a PhD at the right place.

sdg!

rd

12. Nord

Nord New Member

Trinity may well overcome their past. There will always be those that bring it up because it is part of their history (eg Masters Divinity School....please do not confuse with Masters Seminary).

Trinity has much to recommend in it in terms of cost and convenience. It has very well qualifed faculty, and has obvioulsy met enough of RA standards to get candidacy. However......candidacy does not equal full accreditation and it also does not mean that the seminary will receive it. It is highly likely they will as only a small percentage of schools who make candidacy do not go on to receive full accreditation but it happens. It is a calculated risk.

Folks took this with Northcentral U. They are a 100% residency free PhD program (business, Psych, Education). People enrolled during candidacy when tuition was low and gambled that they would go on to receive full regional accreditation. They did...happy ending. However, could have gone the other way.

Nord

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

The degrees earned before accreditation are not accredited though. Accreditation is not retroactive. But who is going to know?

14. Broadus

Broadus Member

It is my understanding that institutions are accredited, not degrees. Of course, by way of extension it affects the degrees, but I suspect that degrees bestowed "pre-accreditation" usually carry the prestige of the now-accredited institution.

Bill

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Even though I've heard differing opinions on this, I do think the pre-accreditation degrees are considered unaccredited. By the same token, degrees conferred after an institution loses it accreditation are considered unaccredited degrees. You are right that the individual degrees for each graduate are not accredited but an accredited institution is approved to offer specific degree programs, not all degrees of their choosing.

16. European

European New Member

I want to study for a MA with Trinity, because they have a offiece in Europe. What is that baggage from the past?
    European

17. European

European New Member

I was interesteed to work for a MA in Theology form Trinity, first because they havean office and some seminars in Europe. I want to know something from that past of this school.
    European

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I working on a MA in Theology from Trinty, but I have to complete some of the bachlors level course since my Bible college degree is from a non-acredited institution. Nobody told me about the need for accreditation when I went to Bible college.

Anyhow, the academic standard seems to be pretty good. Bedsides being accredited now, your degree also can receive the endorsment of Cambridge.

19. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I was interesteed to work for a MA in Theology form Trinity, first because they havean office and some seminars in Europe. I want to know something from that past of this school.
    European
    </font>[/QUOTE]===

I was a PhD student "at" Trinity. I enrolled not understanding accreditation. Trinity claimed, then, that it was accredited, that its coursework and degrees were transferable, and that it had worldwide recognition. None of these claims were true in any substantial sense. THAT misrepresentation is some of the character baggage. Everyone must decide for himself if he desires a degree from a school that (IMO) practiced lying for years!

NOW, however, Trinity likely will attain regional accreditation. BUT , even so, my PhD would not have been accredited as SACS, the accreditor, requires TTS to drop the PhD nomenclature/program.

TTS DOES have a qualified faculty. But IMO, the coursework there at that time was NOT at the doc level of instruction. EG, those in the PhD program listened to the same cassettes and read some of the same texts and did some of the same assignments as did those in the MA program! THAT is some of the academic baggage! Everyone must decide for himself if he wants a degree from a school which practiced for years less than standard rigor in some grad programs.

Bill G.

20. European

European New Member

Trinity claimed, then, that it was accredited, that its coursework and degrees were transferable, and that it had worldwide recognition. None of these claims were true in any substantial sense. THAT misrepresentation is some of the character baggage.

I want to ask you what is that endoresment from Canterbury, is the only place where I find this termen, I understand for this endorsement everybody need to pay additional fee.