1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trinity -- Modalism -- ????

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask him who was the person jesus prayed too, and the one who spoke from heaven declaring jesus as his Son?

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

He has studied those verses.

You didn't answer the question.

Take another stab at it and help me find an answer for the question asked, not change the subject.

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Did you overlook my response to your question? The Holy Spirit has been present on earth since Genesis 1:2. We can see his specific presence in all the prophets (1 Pet. 1:10) from Abel to John the Baptist as John the Baptist was filled withe Spirit from the womb. We can see the Spirit's presence and power manifested in the ministry of Christ. We can see the new birth by the Holy Spirit PRIOR to Pentecost (Jn. 3:3-9) which is repeatedly referred to as circumcision of the heart from Exodus to Jeremiah.

The Holy Spirit was sent by Christ to replace him as "another comforter" in regard to the new institutional house of God. I gave Acts 15:28 as a specific instance with the Spirit working in and with New Testament congregations. Look at the close of every letter addressed to a particular congregation in Revelation 2-3 "he that hath an ear let him hear what the Spirit saith unto THE CHURCHES." Look at the final words in Revelation 22:16-17 and the present relationship between the Spirit and the churches.

Acts 2:1-3 was the common ordinary public divine accreditation of new houses of God wherein they were immersed in the shinah glory as in Exodus 40 with the tabernacle and in 2 Chron. 7;1-3 with the Temple.

The Holy Spirit was sent to be "another comforter" and could not be "another" until the present comforter dwelling with his church at Jerusalem left them.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Mat_4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Mat_12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Mar_1:10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:

Mar 1:12 And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness.

First Jesus and the Holy Spirit did exist here at the same time as is evidenced by the previous verses.

Second, what Jesus meant by it was necessary that He leave so the Spirit could come is not given clear explanation in scripture. For the modalist to assume that supports their doctrine is very weak. We do know that the HG was to come in to dignify the church age and the beginning of sharing the gospel to the gentiles and all the rest of the world. It is my position that this is what Jesus was referencing. But that in no way communicates that both Jesus and the HG could not be here at the same time.

#84 mandym, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks!

I'm Trinitarian and agree with you, but still having some difficulty explaining why Jesus had to go away before another Comforter could come.

I'll look up your verses indepth!

6. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are making something simple difficult. It is obvious the Holy Spirit was working with God's people on earth from Genesis to Acts 1 BEFORE the Pentecostal experience because the scriptuers explicitly say so.

Furthermore it is obvious that the sense in which he comes is explicitly spellled out to be as "ANOTHER Comforter" and contextually it is baptized believers assembled around him that are being spoken to and it is the same assembly of baptized believers in Acts 2:1-3 unto which the 3000 were added (Acts 2:40-41).

Jesus Christ in his own incarnated Person was the PRESENT "comforter" among those assembled baptized believers which assembled with him from the baptism of John until the ascension as Acts 1:21-22 explicitly says.

During the ten days that occurred between his ascension into heaven and the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit was still on earth doing what He had always done, regenerate, indwell, sanctifiy, lead, protect individual believers. However, it was this new body of baptized believers that were without their "Comforter" by ascending into heaven that "ANOTHER comforter" replaced ten days later on Penteocst and worked with the church in the same capacity of leadership as Christ did in his body formerly when he existed on earth (Acts 15:23; Rev. 2-3).

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said that it was expedient that he depart, in order to send the Spirit to us in his name!

As while on the earth as a man, he was 'stuck" in a single place, but thru the coming of the Holy spirit, could have God in ALL peoples and throughout the earth now!

So main reason was that IF jesus would have stayed around and not have the Spirit come in his pentacost fashion, just the Apostles would have Him!

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why couldn't Jesus be, yes, stuck in just one place AND the Comforter have come ALSO is the question.

I don't disagree with the answers I'm getting--they just don't go beyond what I already believe and help me answer this person.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

I just gave you the answer. Nothing difficult about it.