1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trinity, Wales and the BBC

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Siberian, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I am not sure about the not attending classes part nor do I know the full story on that. So I can't say too much about that. However his doctorate is real and he could teach at almost any University in the United States. Mr. Cosby is a very intelligent man. He spoke at my college graduation LINK. Not only is he smart he is very friendly.

"Cosby completed high school via correspondence courses while serving in the US Navy Medical Corps in 1956-1960. Then, he received a football scholarship for Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and earned a Bachelor in Arts Degree. He continued to study at the University of Massachusetts, where he earned a Masters Degree in Education in 1972 and a Doctorate in Education in 1977. Cosby's doctorate thesis was titled "The Integration of Visual Media Via Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids Into the Elementary Schools Culminating as a Teacher Aid to Achieve Increased Learning."

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

How do you know?

Well, I taking the word of a guy on his doctoral committee. So, I really don't have any firsthand knowledge. Seems that the profs were pretty much overawed by Cosby's celeb status and wonderful personality. On the other hand, I don't doubt that he's a very intelligent and competent individual.

It appears, according to one of his committee members, that Cosby was awarded his doctorate pretty much on his previous work--i.e. "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids." According to this individual, there was one meeting of the committee at Cosby's home over dinner with a viewing and discussion of some "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" flicks. Cosby, supposedly, completed a dissertation or doctoral project expounding the philosophy and sociological impact of these films. It might be worthwhile to do a search in ProQuest Dissertations and Theses. (Most of us, who read dissertations and theses, probably have seen our share of poor ones from reptuable schools and perhaps the occasional really good one form an unaccredited school.) He did not take courses and was probably on campus less than a dozen times.

Is this a sufficient basis for a doctorate, even Ed.D.? I don't know but there is enough to cause one to consider the possibility of a negative answer. Now, let's put it in perspective. People get hyper about GW's MBA but it's anathama to question Cosby's rigor.

Cosby was probably more deserving of his doctorate than others at UMass-Amherst. Some, who were functionally illerate, reportedly received graduate degrees because of political correctness, political clout or affirmative action. On the other hand, certain posters on this board scoff at the honorary doctorates awarded successful pastors who have spent a lifetime of hard work and sacrifice in building a tremendous ministry. Also, some have studied the Scriptures and Biblical literature diligently throughout a long ministry. Cannot a man with fifty years of study and ministry achieve a comparable or higher level than one with a newly awarded seminary doctorate?

I find this totally believable and consistent with my experiences in a large graduate school. In talking with friends, their experiences are fairly consistent with mine. I'm a confirmed skeptic of higher education, which is not to say that good education doesn't take place. It is just that all kinds of skullduggery takes place in reputable, accredited universities.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Not just seminaries

Hey, it's not just seminaries! Secular universities have dumbed down too.