1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trip Across Russia

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Gestalt, May 14, 2006.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt New Member

When I was a child, I wanted to smuggle Bibles into Russia to help the Christians. Now, that apparently won't be necessary, but I would still like to visit Russia. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't like cold weather, but Russia is so far North. When are good times of the year to visit? I am thinking of taking a train all the way across it, from Europe to the Pacific (or the other way); I don't know if I would travel through Japan along the way, or go through Alaska. Maybe I should go through Germany, too?

I would take a lot of photographs, if I could. I could probably spend 2 or 3 weeks making the trip. How much do you suppose it would cost?

2. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Get with an organization like "Manna" and go on one of their trips to a feeding center. You will get to work, witness and learn to love in a whole new way.

My wife and I are planning on going to Budapest Hungary with Manna in May of 07 (Lord willing). They have a feeding center for Gypsie children there and we are looking forward to it greatly the cost for 10 days (4 in travel) approximately $4000.00 per. It could end up being closer to 3 per but we are not counting on it.

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

4. Gestalt

Gestalt New Member

I had considered going on a Christian tour, or visiting Christian churches along the way. My rough sketch of an idea is to travel across Europe, enter Russia, take the Trans-Siberian railroad, then head to either Japan or Alaska before returning home. I want to see the region.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Summers in Russia can be surprisingly hot. If you want sightseeing then St Petersburg is a must and you should spend at least a week there. Moscos pales in comparison (you only need a day to see it!) but there are some lovely old towns near Moscow called the 'Golden Ring Towns' which are well worth a visit - Sergiyev Posad, Peresslavl Zalesskie, Rostov Velikie, Yaroslavl, Kostroma, Vladimir and Suzdal.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

When I was in high school (way back in the 70's:laugh: ), there was a team that used to come and speak in our chapel service. They were missionaries to Russia and other countries behind the iron curtain. I believe they were called the Anglo-American Team. They had some amazing stories about how they smuggled bibles into Russia.

I wonder what happened to them after the fall of the Soviet Union and what ministry they are in now.

Please let us know when you get to go on this amazing trip! It sounds wonderful.

I have college friends who are missionaries to Smolensk, Russia. They do a lot of work in children's homes.

God bless!

:Fish: