1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Troubled Marriage...need advice

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mhoward1999, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has offered advice, support, prayer, and encouragement. You are all wonderful. May the Lord bless you.

Things are already getting a tiny bit better. I am still on my knees, and plan to stay there. My husband went to church with me yesterday without me saying a word to him about it. That is a big step up, to me.

-M.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

That is a big step up.

T only goes with me on Easter and the night of the pine derby race.

Keep on praying....

3. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Thanks, Menageriekeeper. I will...and for you as well. You are one strong person!!!

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

mhoward1999;

My wife and I just came through a terrible "season" in our marriage. It was financially, emotionally, spiritually terrible. Terrible is the best word for it. But it also was a good thing for us bacause our marriage is better than the day we said ,"I do".

Everyone here has given you some good godly counsel. I can only add a couple things which helped me and Deb. It might help you. Our pastor recommended we buy and read 4 books. We were to read them together. While you may not get your man to read these right away, if you have them laying on your bedside table; believe me, curiosity will catch that "Cat". LOL
    Here's the books:
    "For Better or For Best" (Understanding your husband), By Gary Smalley.
    "If Only He Knew" (Understanding your wife), By Gary Smalley.
    "His Needs, Her Needs" (Building an Affair Proof Marriage), By Willard F. Harley, Jr.
    "The Spirit-Controlled Woman" By Beverley LaHaye.

I would STRONGLY recommend you get these books and read them with your Bible nearby for reference. Look up each reference the authors make, and APPLY them to your daily life.

Here are a couple excerpts from book #1.(see above)
    "The first step in developing a genuine attitude of gratefulness is becoming aware that the benefits in your life have come from two main sources: other people and God....If you stop to think about it, there are very few benefits in your life for which you can take sole credit. (Make a list)...
    The second step in developing a grateful attitude is learning to minimize your expectations of your spouse. Expectations can be one of the most destructive forces in your marriage. They can bring un-necessary disappointment and discouragement to you and your husband....

Just these two ideas have revolutionized my thinking towards my wife. When I do not have high expectations of her, I am not setting myself up for disappointment, AND! when she comes through for me, I am pleasantly blessed. I hope this is not too confusing. :confused:

Anyway, get the books, check the Biblical references, practice the principles, and in time, BOTH of you will find a great blessing in becoming what you saw in each other when you were "dating".
    As to the messy home? Clean it. A little at a time. So what if it gets messed up again? What house doesn't? But the NEXT time you have to clean, it won't be as bad as the FIRST time will it? There is hope in that one idea. IT WON'T BE THIS BAD FOREVER!

Praying for you and him.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

Thanks, Jim. Will do!