1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True calvinism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

As a 'true Calvinist' -- ja, without permission -- i would guess ... quoting EWF :

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none."

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If a Christian is one who follows Christ, and
    a Buddhist is one who follows Buddha, and
    a Confucianist is one who follows Confucius, and
    a Taoist is one who follows the Tao, and
    Mohammedan is one who follows Mohamed, then

a true Calvinist is one who follows Calvin.

How else can it be.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter how many times you and others have been corrected you still repeat your mantra.

Calvinism is a convenient nickname for true bible doctrine which emphasizes the doctrines of grace.

Calvinists do not foww John Calvin -- they follow the Bible. However, we are appreciative of the godly efforts of John Calvin to open up the Word of God for us down through the centuries. We are also grateful for the work of countless other men that the Lord has raised up throughout Church History.

You put forth a false antithesis when you say we follow Calvin instead of Christ. Shame on you.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This from someone currently posting page upon page of excerpts from some hagiography of the man?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a hagiography. The author was very factual and dealt with primary sources.

Besides,a lot of misrepresentation,distortions and just plain ole' lies have been said about the man of Geneva. It was time to set the record staight.

The same things happen on the Bible Verses/translations forum. Some misguided fliks in their zeal for the TR (and smetimes for the Majority Text) have it as their special mission to villify Westcott and Hort with all sorts of slanderous things. Fcts get in their way.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Just following the etymology of the word. Nothing wrong with that. :)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I guess you cant call me, Luke, Icono, Ripp, Tom B, even a guy like Spurgeon a Calvinist since we all believe in Credo Baptism. Correct?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't call you anything.

9. akaspooky

akaspooky New Member

How is Dispensationalism an invention? Dr. Chafer does a pretty fair job of explaining what it means. Nor is it as new as Darby. Nor is it possible to be saved by any other method, in this Day of Salvation in this Age of Grace.

Can't you see the intercalation, billwald? That parenthesis which waits for the end of the gathering of the Church, before rushing on thru the Great Tribulation... as in the one in that passage Jesus read... "To preach the acceptable year of the Lord" which does not end there in Isaiah 61, but continues on with only a comma to separate it from the Tribulation itself... ? I promise you, the Lord Jesus did not simply get tired and sit down.

10. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

rip:

I agree, in fact it emphasizes the Gospel of God's Grace.. How and Why God saved His People by Grace..

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

GE:

It can be very different, you ask me. I am a Calvinist an no one in this life can or dare deny my claim. Because I believe in Christ Jesus, and not in Calvin, and therefore am, a CALVINIST.

But this with you is just the same, DHK, as with the 'law' you so desperately chase after but that eludes you like your own shadow in the New Testament for a Christian to feast the Sabbath of the LORD _YOUR_ God .... immer _YOUR_ God, who not only goes before you, but follows you like a loyal dog --- as one of our greatest 'Calvinist' poets wrote....

You can side-step everyone; you cannot sidestep FAITH --- the FAITH of Jesus Christ and SOLA GRATIA, which is what 'Calvinism' is.

There is NO semblance between all those false religions and Calvinism you listed. The association or even just the comparison you are making between them is as good as LIBEL.

P.S.
    That same poet - magnificent a poet was he - N.P. van Wyk Louw, he dared South Africa and the Calvinists in 3 inches big black letters on our 'main' Sunday Newspaper, that Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath.

#51 Gerhard Ebersoehn, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  12. JML CASSIAN

JML CASSIAN New Member

I am a "recovering Calvinist," but I have to say, to use the name Calvinism does not mean you are following a man.

In my experience, instead of starting from scratch in every debate, and having to explain the plan of salvation, justification, etc., it is much easier to use the tag "Calvinism," since most people sorta understand what is meant by that term.

I'm just trying to clarify the issue. If you started a debate by saying I hold to synergism, or semi-Pelagianism, or just plain Pelagianism, most would wonder what you meant. If you say Calvinism, most people at least have a general idea of what they are dealing with.

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

jml

Greetings, I am new here and would like to comment on this you stated: Yes, its convenient to use the term calvinist for the reason you stated, but its unfortunate that the opposer's will use that as an opportunity to classify you as an follower of a man, which I believe is very unjust and dishonest.

And I think its fit to warn those who do that, that its a serious matter before God, to ascribe to the man calvin, the doctrine that God has revealed..

14. JML CASSIAN

JML CASSIAN New Member

I share your concern, but for the reasons stated, I have no objection to people using the term Calvinism, no more than Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, etc. None of those individuals would want their name associated with a movement, especially today. If Luther, or Wesley came back today, they would not recognize what is being taught in their name.

Have errands to run.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

On the other hand, it is said that if an Orthodox Catholic Christian from the AD 300's was transported to 21st century Greek Orthodox Church worship service he would know he was in an Orthodox worship service, would know where he was in the liturgy and would know what comes next. Don't know if this is true.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have to have more to offer than just that. I am not a Calvinist, but I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ also. Just because you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ does not make you a Calvinist. It makes you a non-Calvinist as much as a Calvinist.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you are going to gain the respect of all on the board you can start with terms that all on the board are familiar with--particularly with TULIP. Usually that is what defines a Calvinist. If you go and look in the Baptist theology forum there is a thread on: "Are you a low, moderate, or high Calvinist?" Calvinists can be classified in different ways. Are you a hyper-Calvinist? John Gill thought that the Great Commission was totally irrelevant. He told believers to get out of God's way. Don't interrupt God in doing His work. The work of salvation was his work, and not ours. His beliefs concerning salvation led to antinomianism. Are you that type of Calvinist? Do you agree with all five points of Calvinism? Are you a determinist or hyper-determinist--attributing evil to God? Just what kind of Calvinist are you?

18. JML CASSIAN

JML CASSIAN New Member

I don't either, but the Orthodox Church has many issues to deal with. I admit that the smells and bells and the inside of a truly Orthodox church is something to behold. But their doctrines....well, that's another story.

19. JML CASSIAN

JML CASSIAN New Member

Firstly, why wouldn't people on a board that discusses theology not be familiar with those very common terms I referred to?

Secondly, I'm not trying to gain respect or the approval of man.

Finally, I'm not a Calvinist at all, as I clearly stated. See Post 52. I don't like labels, but if I have to choose one, I'm ARMINIAN! Would you like me to post the 5 basic concepts of Arminianism?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can post however you like as long as you follow the rules.
    In post 52 you said: "I am a recovering Calvinist," so I took that to mean that you are a Calvinist.