1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

true/False IF He Decided To, God Can "Override" man Free Will!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Or has he decreed that your free will is such that he will honer it, and in a sense has limited Himself to NOT be able to override your Will in any given decision/situation?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can a house divided stand? If God decrees something can He go against Himself?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My answer is that yes He can but they are rare occurrences. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit while still in his mother's womb. He didn't have a choice in the matter. Mary was selected to be the mother of Jesus. No choice there. Saul, later Paul, didn't really have a choice. There must be other examples.

4. Sularis

Sularis Member

Poorly worded

But the answer is YES - God can override our wills - But He has chosen
    not to - This doesnt remove His ability or option to do so

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think maybe Samuel and Jeremiah could also serve as good examples.

These examples show the ultimate Sovereign God. He gave man choice when He made him in His image. God in His Sovereignty is looking to have a relationship with a creation (God is the Creator of all) that chooses to love Him Even though He is the source of Love, God chooses to give man free choice to return that Love to Him when He draws all to Him. Those who do choose God, do so because it is God who gave them choice, and those who do not choose God, do so because God gave them choice and the were stiff-necked (or ignored) toward the drawing of the Holy Spirit.

I am of the Elect because I am a Christian, not Christian because I am of the Elect.

#5 John Toppass, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

think I shoudl have posted it as:

has God limited Himself to being dependant on Human response to the Gospel in order to save Man?
    That He has agreed to allow us to make the final decision regarding our eternal destinies?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does Scripture say? "Believe and you will be saved"
    He always makes the final decision on our destiny as John 3:18 attests to.

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am "with you" Inthelight. As a principle, I see mankinds freedom designed into the fabric of creation, but God most certainly sees fit to over ride that principle in His wisdom and sovereignty. It happens, according to the scriptural record, but it does not appear to be the norm.

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

If you mean....Does God allow us to reject him and his offer of salvation....then Yes.