1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True/False John calvin was A Great Theologian/Author In Christian Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

One of the very best since Apostolic era, or else?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is hard to find a rival. Particularly for evangelicals.

Calvin is one of the first thorough systematic theologians. Standing the second generation of Reformers, he was able to see through a lot of ecclesial clutter and speak clearly on matters oft neglected by his contemporaries.

His magnum opus The Institutes is one of earliest contained systematics out there. Though I don't agree with him on any number of issues I cannot deny his influence and place as a great theologian in the history of the Church.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice."

"A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent."

"All the blessings we enjoy are Divine deposits, committed to our trust on this condition, that they should be dispensed for the benefit of our neighbors."

"God tolerates even our stammering, and pardons our ignorance whenever something inadvertently escapes us - as, indeed, without this mercy there would be no freedom to pray."

"However many blessings we expect from God, His infinite liberality will always exceed all our wishes and our thoughts."

Found these quotes from John Calvin HERE

Here are two of his that seem to be at odds with each other, though:

"God preordained, for his own glory and the display of His attributes of mercy and justice, a part of the human race, without any merit of their own, to eternal salvation, and another part, in just punishment of their sin, to eternal damnation."

"No man is excluded from calling upon God, the gate of salvation is set open unto all men: neither is there any other thing which keepeth us back from entering in, save only our own unbelief."

So, eventhough I would not put him in the "great" category, he was a pretty good theologian. He has influeneced many people.