1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True or not? Defense of the faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Jan 27, 2006.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just read comments similar to what I am posting below, and would like to ask if you think this is true.

I welcome comments on any and all of the quote, but this is what caught my eye: "Truth is preserved through controversy." True or not?

2. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

Amen to this quote rlvaughn....in Jude 3 we are taught this..."Beloved, when I gave all dilligence to write unto you the common salvation, it was needful for me to write you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend the faith which was once delievered unto the saints."

argue ?????? no.........but contend ....we must or dear souls might be led astray by or silence.

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

True or not?

That is the testimony of history.

I also think that's what Paul was suggesting when he said that "there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized" (1 Cor. 11:19).

4. partialrapture

partialrapture New Member

I agree... Let our light shine!

5. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

I believe truth can only be found in scripture itself as we pray and ask the Lord to help our understanding. Controversy arises over men's various INTERPRETATIONS of scriptures. The men who interpret scripture differently from one another are the men who form churches that teach THEIR interpretation of scripture. And their interpretation may or may not be correct. This is WHY we must study and rightly divide the scriptures for ourselves. We must become Bereans.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Ron. Truth is in Scripture. And it is God who preserves Truth (with a captial "T") just as He preserves the world, us, the Word and many other things.

We do not preserve Truth, we stand for it. God preserves Truth.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I basically agree with the last two posters, and have some agreement with all. God may use controversy in His plan to preserve truth, but it is HE, not controversy, that preserves it. Thanks for all the good comments.

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

God may use controversy in His plan to preserve truth, but it is HE, not controversy, that preserves it.

Strictly speaking, the top post didn't say that controversy preserved the truth, but that the truth was preserved through controversy.

Many apologists would say that the truth shines most clearly when it is set aside error.

9. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

Truth is only determined when we take scripture at face value and not allow our minds to be so influenced by religious leaders and bible commentators who seek to persuade us else wise.

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ransom, I wasn't particularly disagreeing with the original post, just pointing out controversy is one means that God uses. I don't think it is the only means, and I'm sure that you and the original "quoter" probably don't either.

But your post gave me further reason to think on the word "through" and how this person intended it. I am taking it to mean truth preserved through ("by the means or agency of") controversy and not truth preserved through ("in the midst of" or "from the beginning to the end of") controversy. But I would believe the second meaning is true as well.