1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

True salvation test

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Frenchy, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Thank you

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

wow Frenchy,

I didn't say any of that. But when a person is living in rebellion the worse thing their family can do is push them away and accuse them of not being saved. I was just cautioning you to not do that. I have no idea if you actually do or not.

I also gave you Bible, not just personal opinion. Any "test of salvation" should be administered to our own souls on a personal basis, not applied to others in order to accuse them. I'm all for calling sin what it is. But thats a far cry from accusing the person of not being saved. You even said that your stepdaughter won't tell you how she was saved.....so I don't see how you can decide that she "just prayed a prayer". She apparently knows the clear gospel, right? So it is different from a case where the person doesn't know the Truth and is deceived. I didn't say "stop witnessing" to someone.....just that with family it is often the case where we push the person away from us unintentionally, while we are trying to be a witness. This is different than the person on the street who we may be talking to about Christ. By all means, ask them their testimony....there is obviously a time when we can tell the person doesn't have the Truth of the Gospel based on their answers, and we ought to keep trying to tell them.

Like I was pointing out about I John 5.....it is a test on your OWN salvation, not other people's. Other than that, we test teachings, whether they are of God or not.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Only God can convince a person they are not saved since He initiates salvation, through conviction. When a person tells us they are saved we do not know their hearts and God's work there.

4. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

Sorry bapmom i have a way of reading between the lines, and most are saying that we should not judge anothers claim to be a christian (no reading between the lines there)when the bible says we should test the spirits. And that we shouldn't be ignorant.

I never said she won't tell me how she was saved, she will not give me any examples of why she thinks she is saved. To tell you the truth we haven't had a heavy conversation with her on this, it has come up on occasions her lifestyle. It doesn't matter what her testimony is, so she prayed a prayer when she was real little. That doesn't save you, she thinks God is all love and he never judges or holds us accountable for our sin. This is the main theme in most churches today, one which is leading more people to hell than saving them.

We are not pushing her away, the truth was precented, now it is up to her to think about it. nothing more needs to be said, now it is up to God to work. just wanted some bible verses and insights to show her, maybe i'm on the wrong board?

[ March 09, 2006, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

5. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

i believe the bible is very clear that as christians we are to judge sin. according to 1 john if one is living in habitual sin and claim to be a christian they are a liar!

1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.

10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

11 But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.

12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name’s sake.

13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.

14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

24 Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father.

25 And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

6. Brother James

Brother James New Member

By thier fruits you shall know them. She may be saved, only God knows but in works she denies Him.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Just one thought:

If a person is not saved but they think they are, don't you think the Devil wants to keep them "assured"?

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Its not that cloudy, Andy T. God isn't out to try to confuse us.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree, nor did I say that God is out to confuse us. But the Devil certainly is. And I imagine if he knows that someone thinks they're saved, when in actuality they're not, he would be happy to keep them in that state of mind.

10. Brice

Brice New Member

I don't think you're on the wrong board. I hope we were able to help you. Bapmom was just trying to help, I don't think she meant any harm. I hope you stay around and fellowship with us some more. God bless.

11. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I agree with this statement

"I agree, nor did I say that God is out to confuse us. But the Devil certainly is. And I imagine if he knows that someone thinks they're saved, when in actuality they're not, he would be happy to keep them in that state of mind."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    can someone please tell me how to do the quote thing? and thanks brice

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Frenchy,

To do the quote thing, you go to the post that you want to quote and click on the quote icon above it - slightly to the right. You then type your message before or after the brackets, which are coded to display the quote. You can also delete portions of the quote within the brackets, if you only want to quote a portion.

13. On the side of truth

Frenchy,

You are on the right board but you will get many different perspectives on doctrine and Christian living. I find this interesting as long as folks back up what they believe with Scripture. You will certainly learn alot.
    In regards to your step daughter you must not make the fruits of her life part of her salvation experience per se. So many good folks would like to make the "fruit" an essential ingredient of the "root" (repentance) and that is not biblical. You repent first and then afterwards fruit will show. It maybe sixty,forty or ten fold but there will be something. You may not see it but God does. Is she going to have victory,joy and the blessing of God in her life because of her way of life? No. Living for self robs us of that but now I know I am preaching to the choir. The only thing I would suggest is get a hold of God through prayer and ask him to do a work in your step daughter's life. She may not be saved ,she may be we do not know. A big help to me was going through the books of I,II,III John and finding all the things that would indicate to me that I was saved. If those things were true of me then I would post a (+) beside it. If not, then (-)beside it. If I had more negs. then postives, then I knew that I had to get somethings straighten around. However,that was for ME personally. Just remember that those books were written to those that Paul confidently believed were SAVED, not unbelievers.
    As for John MacArthur,he has many good Bible studies available, but I PERSONALLY
    believe he is wrong in teaching that in order TO BE SAVED we have to be willing to give 100% over to the Lord. That is mixing up the position IN Christ that we have as believers and our practical
    every day living that we have THROUGH Christ. There is a big difference. I think it does great harm and causes great doubt amongst believers. I say that to say this . I would be careful and guarded in reading and applying what he believes about salvation and whether or not it is real. Just my thoughts. Prayer is the best weapon of all.