1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Trump Admits His Trade Policy Would Mean Higher Prices

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you did a search, but failed to include the results of that search in your claim. So anyway..................................

2. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

"The United States lost more than 900,000 textile and apparel jobs from 1994 to 2005.
    U.S. rural areas have been disproportionately affected by the loss of textile and apparel jobs, particularly in the Southeast, where textile and apparel plants are [were] concentrated.
    On December 31, 2004, the last remaining import quotas on clothing and textile products expired."
    LINK

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody will answer my question--if American made shirts can be made for only $1.50 more than foreign made, why doesn't the USA compete?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From your link:

Of all employed U.S. workers in 2003, textile and apparel workers were, on average, older, less likely to have a high school diploma, and less likely to be a U.S. citizen.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

...but will the writer of the Op admit to recognizing Trump's reasoning about how the benefits outweigh any setbacks?

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, because there are no benefits. The assumption is that jobs will return to the USA if there are tariffs. I don't think so. More likely we get higher prices and get tariffs slapped on our exports.

Please prove that tariffs will create jobs and show your work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem goes beyond just cutting and sewing the garments in the US. Almost all of the support infrastructure is now off shore. I mean the factories that make the cloth, sewing, thread, buttons, zippers, ect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. But Trumpeters would have you believe the US would jump back into the clothing business if only there were a tariff on imported clothing.

Never mind the length the tariff would be in effect is at the whims of Congress. Businesses like to plan longer than 2 to 4 years into the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that less educated US citizens also should be able to find a good job. It is much better for them to be working than drawing welfare. Textile industry jobs were good jobs.
    As for illegal workers, we can do something about that, such as actually enforcing immigration laws.

Also from the link we see that the US used import quotas previously. They obviously worked

#50 Lewis, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point of Trump’s objective (you fail to admit, and keep in focus) being that we “MUST” deal with the “unfair” trade practices and that we MUST be willing to back it up with action, you must first demonstrate how dealing with the unfair trade practices is not necessary and/or give another better solution for backing it up other than continuing to stick our heads in the sand – Mr. Slippery Slope man. ;) And please do show your work, BTW, if you can I’m sure Trump would appreciate a negotiator like you,[​IMG] so do show your work of a better way to help fix “*the problem”.

* Recognizing/admitting that the issue is fixing the unfair trade practices, first, and “recognizing” the use of tariffs is merely a bargaining tool and last resort to accomplish this objective is secondary to Trump’s point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First you need to show why the trade agreements need to be changed.

13. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

We have sewing machines, not to be confused with grandma's sewing machine, that can hem 2000 (two thousand) sleeves per hour, with one operator. Humans don't really do the sewing anymore, in modern factories They just feed cloth to machines. One machine hems and stacks sleeves and then human takes the stack to the next machine for the next step.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If it costs US manufacturers only $1.50 more to make a shirt than Chinese made shirts, why don't American companies compete right now?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If is ain't working it needs to be changed, BUT, if you're in denial of the downhill trend of our country's trade due to unfair trade practices and the trade deficit worsening...[​IMG] ...I'm afraid you must have bought into the liberal progressive claims that everything is going just peachy [​IMG] , it may be too late for you, [​IMG] and I really have no use in chasing down all the parroted arguments you can search up which you would use to support denying the declining state of the economy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Smyth

Smyth Active Member

If Walmart has a 100% markup, you might see two identical shirts, just of different brands, one for $14.00 and the other for $17.00, which are you going to buy?

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said:

No, I don't. I don't have to demonstrate something I don't think needs changing. Your candidate of merchantilism wants to make major changes to the way the US does business with one of our largest customers and one of our largest holders of credit. It's up to your side to present the reasons why it should be changed. The burden of proof is not on the side advocating status quo.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a liberal because I don't agree with Trump. Really, get a new act.

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't understand. Are you saying that one of these shirts at Wal Mart is made in USA?

Because my question was:
    If it costs US manufacturers only $1.50 more to make a shirt than Chinese made shirts, why don't American companies compete right now?

19. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

China joined the WTO in 2001. Right around this time US textile manufacturing and garment production began to collapse.

Previously the US had had import quotas, which were all allowed to expire.

China's biggest enterprises are all state owned, which means these companies receive land and electricity for free or at a discount. The banks that finance these industries are state-owned. In other words they receive massive government support and subsidy.

This is not free enterprise, and is an unfair advantage. This is why Trump among others advocates returning to import quotas or tariffs.

We have a huge trade deficit with China. They should worry about losing the US as one of their largest customers.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist