1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump has Snuffed Out the Religious Right by Russell Moore

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Oct 9, 2016.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Journalist Mark Halperin noted this weekend that virtually all of the “reaffirmation of support” for Trump, following the disclosure of his sexually predatory recorded comments, were from religious conservative leaders. This is a scandal and a disgrace, but it should not be a surprise.

We know nothing new about Donald Trump. He has told us about his view of women, his view of sexuality, his views of marriage and family for more than 30 years. He has gloried in reality television decadence before reality television was even invented, in his boasts to tabloid reporters. He reaffirmed who he is over and over again, even during this campaign — from misogynistic statements to racist invective to crazed conspiracy theorizing.

And yet here stands the old-guard Religious Right establishment. Some are defending or waving this away, with the same old tropes they’ve used throughout this campaign. Trump’s not a Sunday school teacher, they tell us. Trump’s a new King David or pagan deliverer Cyrus. Trump is either a “baby Christian” or the kind of tough strongman conservative Christians need since the Sermon on the Mount isn’t realistic enough for the 21st century.

And, of course, they tell us, he will appoint judges and justices who stand up for unborn human life and religious liberty. After all, he promised us he would. Why Trump would be more faithful to vows to religious political activists than he has been to people named “Mrs. Trump,” they do not tell us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...thing-he-has-snuffed-out-the-religious-right/

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That says it all.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

3. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fact is though we know what Hillary will do. She will double down on illegals entering through our southern border; she will up the number of Syrian Muslims entering the country; she will seek to curtail our 2nd Amendment rights through an executive order; she will attempt to institute "free" college education; she will raise taxes; she will continue to negotiate bad trade deals for us and on and on and on. I am perfectly willing to give Trump a chance to see what he will do as what Hillary will do would not be good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

It was such a sad funeral. Not even a whimper as it died. Just a total consumption by the Trump beast.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hillary said she will only raise taxes on the rich and corporations.

But when a corp has to pay higher taxes - they will raise the price - and the price will be passed on to the consumer - aka middle and low income citizens.

and as that price goes up - then inflation goes up.......................

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Death of the GOP has been greatly exaggerated.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Great article by Moore.

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not dead yet, but it is in ICU with many of us ready to pull the plug and make room for a better alternative.

I decided last night that I will not even consider a Republican candidate who has not repudiated Trump. Those persons will not get my vote ever again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

AMEN! I'm almost to the point too where I think I may need to leave the SBC if this is the type of foolishness that Southern Baptists support.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wishful thinking