1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth shall provail....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Matt22:37-39, May 31, 2013.

1. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

Just got to remember that.

WOW, pretty heavy today...like the bible says if you preach truth/God's word, you will be persecuted...Hey, I'd rather be dealing with this kind, than a lot of things I have been, for there IS A PURPOSE in this...there may be in the other (I HOPE) but I "get this"...anyway, spent the last 2 days with a "difference" of beliefs with Aquarius and it even got heated yesterday, but we made up...then tonight went to my NEW bible study home group. And things started off fine and I can see a LOVE and genuineness within the group that appeals to me, that I didn't see in the other. But like any good group your going to have a, hmmm what can I call them on here?....Let's just say everything is going along just fine till someone has to "go off topic" about something that has nothing to do with what we were talking about ...to top it off, I can't talk I have laryngitis real bad from coughing so much, which made the whole situation worse!...

After his first two rabbit trails, he brings up the age old (actually only 1800's) question of "Was The Earth Created In A Literal 6 Days, or The Gap Theory/Evolution?"....I started noticing as the conversation continued, more than one believed in Evolution, *Shock*....but as horse as I was, I had to say something..."No It Wasn't, I Explained"...at least the best I could from memory and common sense...I explained how plants and vegetation of all kinds cannot reproduce or survive without living creatures....this is a fact. I explained (after much rebuttal on their part) that this belief is a world view based on science, just like most believe Jesus died on FRIDAY, when they don't understand there are 2 SABBATHS in the JEWISH religion, (Luke says it was "A HIGH SABBATH). And He Himself said, He would be in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights....if He wasn't that would make Him a liar...the word "day" is translated a full night and day. God set everything up by numbers for a reason. I explained how important it is to take the bible LITERAL unless stated otherwise. "If the PLAIN SENSE makes common sense, then seek no other sense"....These are all things I learned by the best PREACHER/TEACHER ever and the Holy Spirit in me.

I sent them all an email explaining why I quietly walked out (even though a few begged me to stay) after it was made clear I was the ONLY one in the room who didn't agree with them, Who could stay comfortably after that?...I don't want to argue. I hate it when people don't know their bible. I asked if the new pastor at the church believes in a 6 literal day or not?..they didn't know. In fact they don't even know what their own denomination believes on the matter. Well, this is what I sent them, along with an apology and understanding...and I have prayed that TRUTH prevails. Never to late to learn

..................... taken from gotquestion.org

QUESTION: "Does Genesis chapter 1 mean literal 24-hour days?"

ANSWER: A careful examination of the Hebrew word for “day” and the context in which it appears in Genesis will lead to the conclusion that “day” means a literal, 24-hour period of time. The Hebrew word yom translated into the English “day” can mean more than one thing. It can refer to the 24-hour period of time that it takes for the earth to rotate on its axis (e.g., “there are 24 hours in a day”). It can refer to the period of daylight between dawn and dusk (e.g., “it gets pretty hot during the day but it cools down a bit at night”). And it can refer to an unspecified period of time (e.g., “back in my grandfather's day...”). It is used to refer to a 24-hour period in Genesis 7:11. It is used to refer to the period of daylight between dawn and dusk in Genesis 1:16. And it is used to refer to an unspecified period of time in Genesis 2:4. So, what does it mean in Genesis 1:5-2:2 when it's used in conjunction with ordinal numbers (i.e., the first day, the second day, the third day, the fourth day, the fifth day, the sixth day, and the seventh day)? Are these 24-hour periods or something else? Could yom as it is used here mean an unspecified period of time?

We can determine how yom should be interpreted in Genesis 1:5-2:2 simply by examining the context in which we find the word and then comparing its context with how we see its usage elsewhere in Scripture. By doing this we let Scripture interpret itself. The Hebrew word yom is used 2301 times in the Old Testament. Outside of Genesis 1, yom plus a number (used 410 times) always indicates an ordinary day, i.e., a 24-hour period. The words “evening” and “morning” together (38 times) always indicate an ordinary day. Yom + “evening” or “morning” (23 times) always indicates an ordinary day. Yom + “night” (52 times) always indicates an ordinary day.

The context in which the word yom is used in Genesis 1:5-2:2, describing each day as “the evening and the morning,” makes it quite clear that the author of Genesis meant 24-hour periods. The references to “evening” and “morning” make no sense unless they refer to a literal 24-hour day. This was the standard interpretation of the days of Genesis 1:5-2:2 until the 1800s when a paradigm shift occurred within the scientific community, and the earth's sedimentary strata layers were reinterpreted. Whereas previously the rock layers were interpreted as evidence of Noah's flood, the flood was thrown out by the scientific community and the rock layers were reinterpreted as evidence for an excessively old earth. Some well-meaning but terribly mistaken Christians then sought to reconcile this new anti-flood, anti-biblical interpretation with the Genesis account by reinterpreting yom to mean vast, unspecified periods of time.

The truth is that many of the old-earth interpretations are known to rely upon faulty assumptions. But we must not let the stubborn close-mindedness of some scientists influence how we read the Bible. According to Exodus 20:9-11, God used six literal days to create the world in order to serve as a model for man's workweek: work six days, rest one. Certainly God could have created everything in an instant if He wanted to. But apparently He had us in mind even before He made us (on the sixth day) and wanted to provide an example for us to follow.

QUESTION: "What is biblical hermeneutics?"

ANSWER: Biblical hermeneutics is perhaps summarized best by 2 Timothy 2:15, "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." Biblical hermeneutics is the science of properly interpreting the various types of literature found in the Bible. For example, a psalm should often be interpreted differently from a prophecy. A proverb should be understood and applied differently from a law. This is the purpose of biblical hermeneutics—to help us to know how to interpret, understand, and apply the Bible.

The most important law of biblical hermeneutics is that the Bible should be interpreted literally. Literal Bible interpretation means we understand the Bible in its normal/plain meaning. The Bible says what it means and means what it says. Many make the mistake of trying to read between the lines and come up with meanings for Scriptures that are not truly in the text. Yes, of course, there are some spiritual truths behind the plain meanings of Scripture. That does not mean that every Scripture has a hidden spiritual truth, or that it should be our goal to find all such spiritual truths. Biblical hermeneutics keeps us faithful to the intended meaning of Scripture and away from allegorizing and symbolizing Bible verses and passages that should be understood literally.

A second crucial law of biblical hermeneutics is that a verse or passage must be interpreted historically, grammatically, and contextually. Historical interpretation refers to understanding the culture, background, and situation which prompted the text. Grammatical interpretation is recognizing the rules of grammar and nuances of the Hebrew and Greek languages and applying those principles to the understanding of a passage. Contextual interpretation involves always taking the surrounding context of a verse/passage into consideration when trying to determine the meaning.

Some mistakenly view biblical hermeneutics as limiting our ability to learn new truths from God's Word or stifling the Holy Spirit's ability to reveal to us the meaning of God's Word. This is not the case. The goal of biblical hermeneutics is to point us to the correct interpretation which the Holy Spirit has already inspired into the text. The purpose of biblical hermeneutics is to protect us from improperly applying a Scripture to a particular situation. Biblical hermeneutics points us to the true meaning and application of Scripture. Hebrews 4:12 declares, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Biblical hermeneutics is keeping the sword sharp!

2. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I dont know if I would call that persecution.

However, its good to hear you stood up for the Biblical view of Creation. I say you get your self equipped with some awesome articles from answersingenesis.org and teach the class about creation.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is my initial thinking.

You were obviously in a group of folks that are unschooled, and are using their previous education and experiential knowledge to reconcile what seems to them irrational.

Rather than a heated discussion, it perhaps would have been better to "answer not a fool according to their folly." Merely interject from time to time without rancor. Look for areas to edify, not preach down, but take the folks from where they are and nurture them as babes.

Look for "teachable moments" that you can present small nuggets of the truth (not blunderbuss-ing in detail the whole) and especially in a none threatening way.

Remember, according to your own post, these folks are unschooled in certain areas of the Scriptures.

Besides - even on the BB there are those who disagree about creation, recreation, fall ....

Remember, none of us have the whole truth of creation. There were no eye witnesses.

And, we have only what God deems necessary for believers to mull (haggle) over.

4. Matt22:37-39

It is in the sense that in just one week from witnessing to unbelievers...things can get heated (3) and then to go to church and still have those who are suppose to know the bible be so far off and turn on you...it feels like it.

I asked the pastor what he believed and he agrees with me. So he is going to talk with them.

5. Matt22:37-39

..............erased