1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Truth without any mixture of error"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, May 2, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't want to put things together. Your intentions behind your words could mean any number of things. I want a clear and direct answer. Not one that can wiggle around in vagueness. And your unwillingness to answer the question shows your desire to be vague. As far as what you "assume" well that's always fun.

#61 Revmitchell, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you determine God's will for your life?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your unwillingness to answer the question shows your desire to be vague. This exchange is done.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you have no clue on determining God's will in your life. Bye. :wavey:

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A new belief is formed when we determine that we like the way one version says something as opposed to another. Example;
    From the KJV
    Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

From the ISV;
    Col 2:18 Let no one who delights in humility and the worship of angels cheat you out of the prize by boasting about what he has seen. Such a person is puffed up without cause by his carnal mind.

Do both verses imply that the man with the carnal mind had seen something or not? If not it leaves it up to the reader to determine if He had seen or didn't see
    MB

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    PS;
    There by creating a new belief about seeing or not seeing
    MB

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like an early variant in the text:
    The NA27/UBS Greek texts don't add the "not" [Greek = μὴ ]; the TR does inclusde it.

Evidence against its inclusion in the Greek texts are perhaps swayed by Papyrus 46 [mid-second century] that doesn't have the word.

:eek: But this is a spot where the Christian martyr and KJVO-accused apostate Origen seems to support the TR. :laugh:

“Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind;
    Origen against Celcius, Book 5; Chapter 8

So do carnal men claim to see visions?
    or do they claim not to see visions?

Exactly what doctrine does this simple textual variant really change?

Do variants like this one cause you to doubt God?
    They shouldn't!
    Small changes like this exist throughout even the family of manuscripts from which the KJV was developed.

I have found that these differences stimulate me to study things out further.

In my opinion, God's message shines through both versions you offered, although I prefer a more modern rendering (but the ISV is not a version I have used)

Truth, without any mixture of error ... despite mans fraility.

I'll intrude into the Rev's and Crabbys alternate thread line here regarding determining God's will for my life....:laugh:

1. Love the Lord / obey his commandments.
    2. Pray/seek wisdom.
    3. Trust God.
    4. Give thanks in all things.

Can you think of anything else?

Well, dinner time.
    See ya.....

Rob

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tying these posts together - - -

Posted by Revmitchell: Do you not measure your faith and experiences by the Bible?

When we examine the quotes of the OT in the NT, we recognize that the quotes read differently… some variability was acceptable.

Many of the quotes were taken from a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures called the Septuagint (LXX).
    And some quotes were taken from other unidentified translations of the time.

These translations were not perfect,
    in places words were changed to help readers understand concepts foreign to them…very much like modern translators of the Scriptures do today.
    In places words were incorrectly translated… and the NT writers used the verse anyway.

If it was acceptable for the readers then, there should be some freedom of translation today.

That’s a doctrine we can get right from the Bible!

Rob

#68 Deacon, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually yes I can Repentance and submission but here is another example of what we were talking about.
    KJV
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    NASV
    Gal 2:16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed on Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
    ISV
    Gal 2:16 yet we know that a person is not justified by the works of the law but by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ. We, too, have believed in Christ Jesus so that we might be justified by the faith of Christ and not by the works of the law, for no human being will be justified by the works of the law.

In a conversation with another person who uses the NASV. Even though the faithfulness of Christ is mentioned He denied that Christ had any faith. I guess that faithfullness and faith are different in His view.
    MB