1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TSA vs seat belts

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Nov 16, 2009.

?
  1. I tend to be CONSERVATIVE - seat belts SHOULD BE required

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. I tend to be CONSERVATIVE - seat belts should NOT be required

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I tend to be LIBERAL - seat belts SHOULD BE required

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. I tend to be LIBERAL - seat belts should NOT be required

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. I tend to be LIBERTARIAN - seat belts SHOULD BE required

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I tend to be LIBERTARIAN - seat belts should NOT be required

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Other answer

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

PS-did you know the number would be much greater if they were not.

2. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

FYI, I've not considered the ramifications of Federal v. State laws in this matter... simply the fact that it's a LAW. I'm one of the most conservative people I know and I don't have a problem with simple laws that will help. I suppose if I was more of a Constitutionalist I would want less laws, but I look at this one and it just makes sense to me on so many levels without infringing on anyone's rights (and I don't consider the right to be stupid a real right).

No, I don't believe that this should be REQUIRED, but I would not throw a fit if it was required. Especially if it was a class with a fee that ended up paying for itself. Driving is not a right, it's a priveledge.

Personally I think THIS is a good idea... I've known a good number of seniors that had absolutely no business on the road.

Odd... I would have thought it would be MORE because of the seatbelt law. This is one of those odd statistics that could show seatbelts caused more deaths by the simple fact that more folk were using them and the likelyhood of them wearing a seatbelt in a fatal crash increased. It's mis-leading because although deaths per million miles went DOWN due to increased seatbelt usage, the statistic you're pointing at could do nothing but go UP because of the increased use of seatbelts.

What's better?
    1 death per million and 100% of fatalities in seatbelts.
    10 deaths per million and 30% of fatalities in seatbelts.

You're not trying to run the shell game by us are you, Salty?

#22 Twizzler, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My understanding is that it's less than 40%. Where did you get that statistic?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that between 55 and 60 percent of people who die in car accidents were not wearing their seat belts. A person wearing their seat belts is roughly half as likely to die in a car accident than a person not wearing a seat belt. Also, the wearing of seat belts does not contribute to deaths or accudents at all.

#24 Johnv, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009
  5. billwald

billwald New Member

Stupid people doing stupid things . . . that's how God cleans the gene pool.

Does making it safer for people to do dangerous things raise or lower the economic cost to the general public? For example, some say that seat belts and air bags encourage people to drive faster.

Or consider the improvement in battlefield medical care. Probably two thirds of the GIs being injured in the current war would have died under WW2 conditions. I suppose that is a big part of the claim that it costs a million a year to keep a GI in Afghanistan.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That assumes that everyone who is in an accident is at fault for causing the accident. In most cases, it's usually the fault of one driver, and not the fault of another.

I myself was in an accident where a person ran an intersection and t-boned me. My car was a total loss. It was 100% the other person's fault (I didn't even know what happenned until about 30 seconds after I was hit. I was pretty beat up, but it was clear that the seat belts mitigated my injuries.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. I've seen the same thing happen and have seen the driver ejected from the car. NOT a good thing to see.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I normally do not buy the its "100% fault" of the other driver. Thats what Defensive driver is about. At that particular cross street did you check to make sure that the intersection was clear? I understand that 20-20 hindsight is great, but hopefully we learn from our mistakes.

I am truly sorry for your collision (note: not "accident")

I fully agree that seat belts can and may often mitigate injuries - but we have to realize that seat belts do not prevent collisions.

I often have people in my class who refuse to wear a seatbelt because they or someone they knew were seriously injured or or killed because of a seatbelt.

All I saying is that a person should have the choice.

Salty

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I seriously question all those who say "I knew someone who was killed because of a seatbelt". I've got a ton of cop friends, a number of them highway patrol and none of them have seen an accident where someone was killed BECAUSE of the seatbelt. Yes, not everyone who wears a seatbelt will survive a crash but for those who wear seatbelts properly, it should not kill you. As for the injury, yeah, wanna see the injury from NOT wearing a seatbelt???

Our church had a van roll-over. Some passengers were wearing seatbelts and some were not. The only injury with a seatbelt was a lap-only belt that was very loosely adjusted and he injured his spleen. However, those who were NOT in belts needed to be life-flighted out of the accident scene because of life-threatening injuries including closed head injuries and massive internal injuries (two were thrown clear from the vehicle into oncoming traffic. The remaining passengers walked away with seatbelt impressions on their bodies and that was it.

I'd go with the seatbelt any day.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It's only at Calvary where God cleans the gene pool.

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

A seatbelt causing one more injury or death in an accident occurs far far less than more serious injuries or death from not wearing one. People who use this argument are very ignorant as to the true facts. Have you ever heard of cutting off your nose to spite your face? Me personally, I'll take my chances with my seatbelt on. As a past volunteer firefighter I've seen the results of not wearing seat belts too many times. Ejections almost never turn out well. Many fall out of a door that has come open, roll out onto the ground or pavement and do not sustain life threatening injuries only to have the vehicle roll over them or on top of them and almost always that results in death or permenant disability.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. The fact is, wearing seat belts DOES NOT contribute to more accidents or injury. Not wearing seat belts, however, does.
    Devensive driving is all well and good, of course, but does not absolve a carless driver from his/her actions.
    I was travelling down a three lane highway with a 50mph speed limit, doing about 45. The other person ran a stop sign on a street with a 25mph limit. It's unreasonable for a person such as myself to slow down and look both ways prior to crossing the intersection. That's not defensive driving, because it puts me at risk of being hit from behind. The person was speeding, and ran the stop sign. The fact that I was hit on the side (and not the front) of my vehicle was evidence to me not being reasonably able to see, or expect to see, the other vehicle. Both the police report and the insurance claim adjuster concluded that there was no forseeable fault on my part.
    Unless the other person hit me on purpose, it was an accident.
    I don't recall anyone ever claiming they do.
    To put it mildly, those people are idiots. The wearing of seat belts does not contribute to death or injury.

#32 Johnv, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are absolutely right! Just as others should have the right not to wear a seatbelt.

BTW - Sag - do you think passengers should be required to wear safety helmets while riding in a vehicle?

Salty

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

When that person is on their own road, then they can drive however they like. On a government-owned road, however, there's nothing unreasonable about the government legislating the use of seat belts.

On a side note, here in CA, the government made it illegal to use a cell phone while driving (unless you're using a handsfree device). I think it's a ridiculous and stupid law. But it's within Sacramento's right to legislate it, and I adhere to the law, even though I don't like it. I'm not going to pretend there's some "right" to use a cell phone while driving. There isn't. And there's no "right" to eschew seat belts while driving either.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

>That's not defensive driving, because it puts me at risk of being hit from behind.

Only because the laws about following to close are not enforced.

>Unless the other person hit me on purpose, it was an accident.

This a logical error. If the person hit you while breaking the law, it was NOT accidental. Person shoots someone while robbing a bank. He didn't intend to shoot anyone. It is an accidental shooting?

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not at all. If a person in front of you is, on an open road, accellerating and decelerating significantly and frequently, that poses a danger to others on the road. In fact, that's one of the things you learn in the devensive driving portion of a vehicle license class.
    That's apples and oranges. A bank robber intends to break the law, even if they don't intend to actually pull the trigger of the gun they're waving (even there, if you're waving a gun, there's an implied intent to use it). Unless the person who hit me intended to run the stop sign, it's a nonsequitor.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A true example from the other day:

Tow truck looses brakes. Road is slippery and he hits the person in front of him as he approaches a light. Car he hits (car #1) gets pushed forward, hitting another car in the intersection who had the green light (car #2). Car #1 hits utility pole which breaks. Car #2 flips over twice and hits a tree, taking it down over the utility pole. Tow truck hits car #1 and utility pole as it's coming down. 2 life flighted who were not wearing seatbelts (car #1). One headed to hospital for head injury from hitting the side window (from car #2) and to check on spine and neck since he rolled twice but he was in good shape (he left the hospital that night). Tow truck driver ends up with massive head wound from hitting the windshield (no airbag, no seatbelt) as well as broke his femur. From what I know, he's still in the hospital. Don't know the results of the 2 who were lifeflighted since they went to the trauma center.

So, was this an accident?

#37 annsni, Nov 18, 2009
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, there is really no difference between hands held and hands free cell phones (execpt when turning - hands held can be a bigger problem.

So as fare as recutlanty obeying the law - does that mean that if you went to Paris, you would not allow your wife to wear pants?

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Many would beg to differ. Using a hands free device allows you to have both hands on the wheel. Otherwise, one hand is committed to holding the phone up to your ear. I have an iPhone with vioce-activated dialing and a speaker phone, btw, as well as bluetooth earbud. Incredibly convenient.

If I visit another country, I will adhere to the laws of that country, where reasonably possible and appropriate.

#39 Johnv, Nov 18, 2009
  20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having 2 hands on the wheel is not the problem. The distraction of a conversation is the problem. In our last DDC instructors class, they gave us info on some studies, that show that part of the brain actually shuts down (or something like that) when on a cell phone.
    I don't have the reference handy, but I will try to find it. (if worse come to worse, I will call safety council! :type: )

Also, I find ear pieces to be more distracting than the phone itself. What is really stupid - here in NY, it is illegal to hold the phone while you talk , but it is legal to dial the number while you are driving! (it is also now illegal to text)

As far as obeying laws, you added - "reasonable". Who determines what reasonable is? I believe it is reasonable to talk on a cell phone as long as I am in proper control.

#40 Salty, Nov 18, 2009