1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tsunami, Sovereignty, and Mercy

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gershom, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

By that answer, you fell into his trap. That answer only works on gnostics, but not on atheists.

If an atheist had said to me that the tsunami shows a cruel God, I would have replied "So you at least acknowlege a cruel God". After all, if one can acknowlege that God can be cuel (whether it's true or not), then it leaves the possibility open to acknowlege that God is sometimes not cruel. It's called a "foot in the door" reply. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Good answer, John. But I was trying to really explain the Christian view. He did continue to email me - in fact, he emailed me today. At one point, he said, "Why are you telling me about the Son when I don't believe in the Father?" And I said, "Why are you asking me about God if you are an atheist?" I was thinking of the way Jesus answered questions by asking a question. He emailed me several times after that.

Pray for him -- I found out today he has lung cancer and I think it's terminal from what he said.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What do you think a miracle is exactly?

You do agree that Jesus performed miracles? The "signs and wonders" of his ministry were evidence that He was the Messiah.

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I have personally witnessed many miracles—every one of which was supernatural. And if I had never witnessed any supernatural acts of God—what would that say about my faith? :confused:

[​IMG]

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Indeed, I will. The same thing happenned with my Father. He came to Christ on his deathbed.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A miracle is a work of wonder. Even if every one of Jesus' miracles had a scientific explanation, they would still be miracles.
    Nothing. Our faith does not require the witnessing of supernatural events to be faithful. In fact, most of believers don't, and they're often as faithful, or more faithful, than you and I.

6. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

There is sometimes a miracle by way of the uncanny timing. No violation of mass/energy conservation, but something miraculous took place. For example, the preparation of the world for the gospel by the presence of roman roads and universal greek language.

There is sometimes the more profound miracle, where the normal laws of science are suspended. For example, Jesus walking on water.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

A miracle by definition is supernatural. If it isn't supernatural, then it isn't a miracle. That does not make it of less value, however. Is just isn't a miracle.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I couldn't disagree with you more. The word itelf means "work of wonder". Scripture itself referrs to "signs and wonders". Scripture does not require a miracle to be supernatural by definition.

If I could go back in time watch Jesus walk on water, and find a scientific explanation for it, it would be a miracle nonetheless, and a great one as well.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Indeed, I will. The same thing happenned with my Father. He came to Christ on his deathbed. </font>[/QUOTE]PTL! My father did, too. He had been a lifelong agnostic and trusted Christ in the hospital 2 months before he died, which was 12 days before his 80th birthday. Shortly after trusting Christ, he went to the ICU and lapsed into a semi-conscious and then unconscious state for the last few weeks. God is good! [​IMG]