1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tsunamis and the Moon

Discussion in 'Science' started by Daisy, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Daisy

Daisy New Member

My sister told me that she works with people who believe that the 2004 tsunami affected the course of the moon. I guess the reasonning is that if the moon affects tides, then the reverse must be true.

I know that this is more antiscience than science, but I was wondering - is that belief peculiar to her pocket of the world or have any of you all heard of anyone else who believes this?

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

No, I've never heard this.

You know if I run really fast I can perturb the moon's orbit! [​IMG]

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yeah but, can you run fast enough in the right direction to offset the damage the tsuami did?

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Of course there was some very very very tiny effect, but nothing that we can measure.

5. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a high school physics teacher that said when you jump up from the ground you pull the Earth towards you at the same time the Earth pulls you back to it. Because of the mass difference between you and the Earth, you move the Earth such a miniscule amount that it cannot be measured. We were studying the gravitational pull of objects on each other at the time he said that.