1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TTU president resigns

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mexdeaf, Jun 21, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting. Something weird is going on here...and I'm not talking about the quiet nature of the resignation.

What is odd is that Dr. John Borek announced the resignation. Dr. Borek was the former president of Liberty while Rev. Lovett was the dean of the seminary.

They also serve together on the board of Tennessee Temple: http://www.tntemple.edu/administration

They also work together at the American Leadership Institute and Seminary in John's Creek, GA. http://www.americanls.org/Default.aspx

I'm not saying anything is up, but there is an awful lot of people involved with each at various points. Just interesting...

2. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately with the way things are going in the world today, and with everyone being so tight lipped about the reasons behind his resignation... this just screams scandal about to come out. Now I'm not saying that is the case here I'm just saying what it seems like.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    {snip...offensive link removed with questionable language banned by BB rules/policy}

#4 Jerome, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Inside sources tell me that this has been planned for some time and that this was NOT a surprise to the board or other insiders, contrary to what is implied by the article on Nooga.com.

So, I'm sorry for having been a tale-bearer.

5. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

think he's going to try to rescue Liberty Seminary from the Caner-implosion?

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

8. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

As a current D.Min. student, I am deeply saddened by this. I met Lovett for the first time in person recently and, sadly, it made me question my decision to peruse a degree with the school.

On the other hand, there are some GREAT professors there and Dr. O'Neil is solid. Jerry Brantham Jr's comments near the bottom of the page are very good.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think about the homepage for TTU? It mentions absolutely nothing about the plagiarism charge. It is practically a paean to Lovett's tenure.

10. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I don't like it a bit, to be honest. However, as a church leader I "get" the pressure which is on the present leadership not to wallow in this and try to move forward. I think the trouble is that some folks who have a depth of integrity and would be more transparent won't be in an effort not to hurt Lovett and stay in this too long.

However, that lack of transparency is largely what will cause this to linger. I think this is what we get we accept "hype" instead of quality leadership. There are some GREAT professors at TTU / TBS and to have had a man like Lovett leading, however sincere he may have (or may not have) been is a little bit like have a mule leading a team of Clydesdale in a parade...

I'm praying for him too, but not in a very flattering way. What are we doing in the Church when we reward pomposity with high profile positions that tend to inflate egos. We should rely on humble men to lead. We have it upside down because we are time and again forgetting that this is an upside down kingdom that we live in. "Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." (Mark 9:35 NIV84)

#11 PilgrimPastor, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
  11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is a sad, sad thing. I don't know how Highland Baptist could consider keeping Rev. Lovett as their senior pastor.

This kind of stuff is exactly why we're losing an entire generation seeing our blatant hypocrisy.

12. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Amen Brother... Sadly, I must concur :tonofbricks:

13. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Dr. David E. Bouler

What happened to Dr. Bouler? He isn't even listed as a pastor anymore on HPBC's website.

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He stepped down as pastor last year to allow Dr. Lovett to be head pastor. It was a planned move. He is still there, attends church there when he is home.

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chatanoogan.com July 26: