1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured TTU Strengthens SBC Ties

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Apr 19, 2012.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s a good seminary and I understand why you, as an Independent Baptist, would object to its association with the Convention or its acceptance of the BF&M as a requirement for its faculty. The seminary has an Independent Baptist history.

Out of curiosity, do you think that the move towards the SBC was related to doctrine or financial appeal (many, I for one, would now view TTU as more appealing and on par with SBC seminaries), or other reasons?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TTU has been courting Southern Baptist affiliation for years,

Times Free Press 2008
    Bouler: TTU is "in the process of being approved as an SBC school."

Yet today is nowhere to be found either on the SBC list, the state convention list, the Association of Southern Baptist Colleges and Schools list, or even the local association list.

What's the hold up? Is it really that difficult to secure denominational approval at any level?

There are plenty of actual Southern-Baptist-affiliated colleges that cannot match the lengths TTU has gone (having all faculty members attending Southern Baptist churches and requiring them to sign adherence to the SBC's BF&M).

Maybe it's more TTU wanting Southern Baptists than Southern Baptists wanting them?

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PhD Info Please

Bro.Chad,

Can you please post that hyper-link at TTU so I can investigate that PhD. Thank you very much.

"That is all!" :smilewinkgrin:

4. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

I am not sure why TTU wants to return to the Convention. It would seem to be that the faculty and leadership is in harmony with the Convention. Having a conservative school in Tennessee would be a good thing for the convention, just as Liberty has been good for Virginia Baptists.

I understand why Southern Baptists would be suspicious of Highland Park Baptist Church. It was not nice and watm to Southern Baptists over the years. The new president should ease concerns. Obviously, the church and its leaders want to establish a credible, conservative college in Tennessee that is completely in line with mainstream Southern Baptist practice and theology.

The hyperlink for TTU's PhD is:

http://www.tntemple.edu/center-for-leadership-studies

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

TTU/HPBC was never anti-SBC as I recall. We had several SBC affiliated chapel speakers and even Bible conference speakers the years I was there.

I applaud the move to the SBC. With a new pastor and college president I expect things will start looking up.