1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TULI doctrines not found in scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Is your husband (hubby, as you like to say) a Calvinist?

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe you meant "A [edit - offensive language] diet." It's more accurate!

#22 Robert Snow, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep he is but we never really talked much about it until after I started finding it in Scripture. He also had just before me come to that same conclusion and so we had a LOT of great date nights discussing it. I wonder how many couples go out on date nights with a notebook and a Bible! :)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heaven forbid Ann that Baptists date.....lets see what else, drink an alcoholic beverage, dance, wear open toe shoes, go to a movie, read a Sunday paper (don't touch one on Monday either since it might be printed on Sunday).....blah, blah, blah. You better tell them your dates were after marriage least you be damned to hell for being loose, AND a conspiring Calvinist. :laugh:

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Convinced

God had me convinced of His love for the world that He sent His, and even with what Calvinist say I am still convinced of this. That people like J. Vernon McGee through the Bible kept me balance while listen and hearing what Calvinist have to say.

That Gospel is still the Gospel good news and those who believe in Jesus shall be saved those who trust in Him over their own understanding and we are apart of such a beautiful message.

#25 psalms109:31, Apr 30, 2011
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I'll admit that these dates I'm speaking of WERE after we were married and we still continue to do the same. :)

But then again, Bob and I celebrated the 27th anniversary of his asking me to be his wife just on the 28th of April. One of the best decisions I ever made. :)

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Ah, Ann, what memories this stirred. On my first date with Janice, I sketched out the TULIP on a napkin at the Dairy Queen. She'd never heard of them except hearing her pastor-father say he didn't believe in them. She married me anyway.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Teresa and I fussed and fought . . cat and dog thru 3 years of college. Many of the same classes and in a small school (under 1000) we were both in plays, choirs, etc.

When we went to our first church service together I said I wanted to share with her my biblical position so that she knew "going in" what I felt was a hill to die on. She stopped me and said she did NOT want to get serious, but wanted ME to know her beliefs.

Long story short - found out that afternoon we were both strongly convinced of God's sovereignty and grace, particular (reformed) baptists by conviction. How could I NOT love a woman who not only was smarter than me, but held the same less-than-popular biblical matrix of grace.

I feel only real pity for those groping in darkness and unable to see the utter incapability of man to do anything right in the sight of God, the eternal knowing of me in eternity by the Father, the actual atonement for every one of my sins by the Son, the regenerating and indwelling Spirit. If I did not believe them, it would be hard to believe that I couldn't mess up and lose something like salvation that I did for myself.

9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Scrpture

It is a great work of God to make a way for all men to come to Christ through the life and Spirit that is in His words, without the work of God through our life we can't do anything. This same life and Spirit in His words tells us to believe trust in Him and be saved or not and continue to condemnation. It is the choice of God why believers are saved not man and Jesus tells us He will not lose one that He is given. That we are the light to the world, that should not be hidden. God made us a messenger of Good news.

It is a shame for men to say our testimony how God changed our life, is wrong because their salvation was done by myself and what I did. The person who comes to Christ that way don't see it that way

I am saved by grace, because the penalty of my sin is death, and I didn't pay it Jesus did so I am saved by grace and God said that those who believe in His Son shall be saved. That trust in Jesus is not work, because it doesn't pay our debt, but to them God credits righteousness.

#29 psalms109:31, Apr 30, 2011
  10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I agree with you 100%.

Eternal security is completely true.

All of the other "points" of Calvinism are completely false, imo.

AiC

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Do you believe you would have "started finding it in Scripture" if he were not a Calvinists?

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

{Edited-violation of Baptist Board Posting Rules}

#32 Robert Snow, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, because he never said anything to me about it.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you've said that before in your previous post, Ann, yet he missed it. No wonder he missed some great statements about his nature and God's in the Bible, too.
    And sometimes, "they" speak like believers in God's sovereign grace were "bobo", a.k.a. dumb.
    what's that somebody told me ?
    point one finger at others, three are pointing right back at ya.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im happy for you both & your daughter is in my prayers.

God love ya

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I didn't miss it. I am just not certain that I believe it. We seek to please those we love. This goes for our theology as well as other things in our lives.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is evident that you always have an opinion & your extremely vocal in it. Opinions are apart of our human character & like other parts of our anatomy, everyone has one. As I side note, noted you didn't add the "H" in there either. No great surprise.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    & Robert, if you read any of Ann's post over the last year, I'm sure you've noted the Great love Ann & her Husband have for Christ that I'm sure is paramount.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Jesusfan,

(1) I did not forget the part of where the Father draws someone, I specifically addressed it. God draws people with lovingkindness.

(2) What verse says God sends the Holy Spirit to convict supernaturally, i.e. irresistible grace, to those He draws by lovingkindness. On the other hand, love does not demand its own way.

(3) A person is "saved" when they are forgiven, and they are forgiven after they are spiritually placed in Christ. It is "in Christ" where they are made alive, no one is made alive (quickened) before they are spiritually together with Christ. He is the way, the truth and the "life."

(4) Men in flesh can understand the milk of the gospel, just like three of the four soils in Matthew 13. I have already demonstrated "total spiritual inability" does not apply to all men.

Salvation is all a work of God from beginning to end, but that is the only assertion you made that has actual support. For example God did foreknow those who were called according to His purpose, but what about them did He foreknow? That Christ would redeem believers, because that was His plan when He chose His Redeemer, and therefore God chose us corporately when He chose His Redeemer.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annsni, am I correctly remembering [which is creepy, I know ;)] you saying you spent years in a conservative Presbyterian church?