1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Tullian Tchividjian Back in Active Ministry

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformed, Sep 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not the fault of the PCA. They properly disciplined Mr. Tchividjian. Mr. Tchividjian simply chose to ignore it.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But he was hired by a PCA at the same time he filed for divorce after being unfaithful to his wife.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptist historian Tom Chantry:

"Mark Driscoll, Tullian Tchividjian, and Reformed Baptist Polity"

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not every PCA presbytery is the same. I believe Coral Ridge's presbytery sanctioned him. I'm away from my desktop, so I'll have to check later. I know some very biblically run PCA churches that would never tolerate what happened in this case.

5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, I'm not out to get Mr. Tchividjian. I truly hopes he repents and his reconciled to his wife before either gets remarried. But his quick move back into ministry mocks church discipline and minimizes sin. What the shepherd does the sheep mimic.

6. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church is part of the South Florida Presbytery. The SFP officially deposed Mr. Tchividjian. Willow Creek Church ignored the action of the SFP. You can read about it here:

http://theaquilareport.com/the-pcas-south-florida-presbytery-deposes-tullian-tchividjian-from-ministry/

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brethren, rally around your pastor and elders. Have their back. In fact, have their family's back. They have a burden on their shoulders few people can truly appreciate.

8. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this an answer to my questions?

Let me see if I have your position straight: it is not God that is in control?

Men have taken over something that the Lord used to do?

On the contrary, my friend, Christ is the Builder.

And we know that once men set their minds to something the Lord could not possibly intervene in the affairs (no pun intended).

The first thing would be to teach them...not to follow men. Secondly, that men will sin. Third, that forgiveness is not a suggestion in the Word of God.

As to whether this fellow has repented or not, we will not likely be privy to that, but, we can hope that through this event the man may profit from it and that all involved (spouse, children if any, church members, and the man himself) will grow into the people God is training up.

We have too many who have a stronger devotion to their pastors, sunday school teachers, fellow members, favorite teachers...than they do to God. Hopefully this event will help some to see the futility in following men.

If one becomes "spiritually damaged" because a leader falls...my sympathies go out to them.

Far worse is the shame reflected on Christ.

Far worse is the trauma inflicted on the family itself.

Seriously, not one believer should be "spiritually damaged." If so, time to take stock in who they are following.

Your judgment is noted.

God bless.

9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed:

Galatians 6:1

King James Version (KJV)

6 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

God bless.

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We can not say it is beyond repair. And if they both committed adultery, then both have that shared guilt which may help in the healing process. Sounds strange, I know, but I would say it is possible for them to reconcile.

Shall we pray for that?

Some may never recover, and personally...I wouldn't hold that against them, this is a grievous betrayal.

The question would be the love that was there to begin with. The adultery may evidence a poor marriage between two people who do not understand what marriage means before God.

Your judgment is noted.

God bless.

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen.

God bless.

12. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each congregation has to be viewed as a separate entity, no two are the same.

God bless.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That goes without saying, and is irrelevant to what was said, because to our knowledge that has not happened and there is still hope for these two.

He "violated" Jonah's will. Also Ananias.

The fact is that God can make this a profitable event, and not just for the family, but for many people who may be in adulterous affairs or considering one.

We have to maintain a Biblical position, and understand that divorce, while hated by God, is an option for those who have been betrayed by their spouse, and for those who have unbelieving spouses (the likely cause to the first issue) who abandon them.

How this relates to the world is inconsequential from a spiritual perspective.

This is true.

However, in view is a particular marriage, not a general discussion about all possibilities.

Yet there is always hope.

If there are children, the impact of divorce on them should be a restraint to separation and a reason for reconciliation. This is something that has done more damage to cause of Christ than most things.

I am very sorry for your previous experience, but that is a unique event not relevant to this issue. Most of this is unrelated to a Biblical perspective of the situation in focus.

Which is why you might consider not laying judgment. I think your past experience imposes a bias, which while understandable, my friend, doesn't mean we have to judge this situation based on your experience.

You don't think you not only made a judgment...but imposed sentence?

Very sorry to hear about that.

Again, irrelevant to this situation.

Irrelevant.

Then you would be in conflict with the teachings of the Bible. There are, sometimes...very good reasons for divorce.

And adultery is a betrayal that, if one can achieve forgiveness for their spouse...my hat is off to them.

But as for the congregation and the Church herself...should we really be surprised that a man could fall into such sin? And should that shake us?

I say no, it should not.

There are always innocent parties in something like this.

That doesn't mean the offenders should not be ministered to.

It's not?

From who's perspective? The innocent's?

Your judgment is noted.

Personally I will let the Lord deal with that aspect of the issue, as well as those under whom this man falls under authority.

And it might not help if Granpa gives him a talking to.

God bless.

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think we should look at it as the offended spouse demanding repentance from the offender, but with a view that true repentance come about.

That is possible.

But if it is a matter of the spouse holding it over the offender's head, that speaks of a spiritual malady for that spouse as well. It lacks the forgiveness that is necessary for healing to take place, in my opinion.

God bless.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Makes me think of Peter:

John 21:15-17

King James Version (KJV)

15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

God bless.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your attempted to draw a correlation between Tullian Tchividjian's sin and Peter's denial of Christ is woeful. They are not the same and did not produce similar results. Peter repented. When Paul rebuked Peter for the latter's sin of partiality, Peter repented of that too. Mr. Tchividjian has not displayed repentance. Instead he has ignored the discipline of his ecclesiastical governing body (the South Florida Presbytery).

I was waiting for my comment to be misunderstood or misrepresented.

The Lord Jesus Christ is not commissioning pastors and elders the way He did the Apostles. In my previous reply to you I did mention that God is involved in calling men to ministry, through the agency of the Holy Spirit. But the Lord is not presently walking this earth calling ministers by name. Christ works through His church. He has given the church certain offices (Eph. 4:11). There are too many self-appointed gospel ministers who have never submitted themselves to the care and guidance of their pastors and elders. But I digress.

Darrel, when a minister of the gospel engages in public sin, and fails to repent, he not only disgraces himself, but he causes real harm to the local body of Christ. He also gives the enemies of Christ cause to blaspheme. I am surprised you do not see this en toto, not just part of it. Mr. Tchividjian's presbytery not only deposed him, they offered to care for his soul by coming along side him and his family. They did not throw him to the wolves.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

Reformed Arsenal - Some Clarifications

19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your right, that was a mistake...Peter's sin is far worse.

Has this fellow denounced Christ?

True, so far this fellow has not denied Christ so save his own skin.

Yet you judge this man has not. How could you possibly know?

It was not partiality Peter was guilty of...it was hypocrisy, the same sin the Lord rebuked the Pharisees of.

It was no small matter, it was a denial of basic truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

How would you know? Please give the evidence that this man has not repented.

How is that possible if he is once again restored to fellowship?

Something here is not adding up.

Not much to misrepresent.

The Lord has always called His ministers by name.

Not sure about the distinction you place between the Lord Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit...is not God One God?

John 14:18

King James Version (KJV)

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

The promises of God were not just for the Disciples, not just for the Apostles, and the Gospel ministers, the ministers of the New Covenant...are not secluded to those historical figures.

And your Scripture for that position?

I am not saying that there are Apostles performing miracles today, but, it is the Lord building His Church according to His Own will and that has not ceased. The Lord is still building His Church on the same foundation He did when the Church began on Pentecost.

So the Church is now the Builder?

Agreed.

;)

This was not public sin, it was sin committed in secret. He has been found out, and now it is time for the Church to deal with it. This is a matter for that Body, and from the quote presented by the leadership, it sounds as though they are handling it quite well.

How do you know this. Again, please present the evidence of his non-repentant attitude.

I noted that in my statement, but, I see that what is ignored is the harm done by hot-headed and premature judgment in the Body.

The world is going to eat that up too. We are called to handle these matters in a Godly fashion, not simply bite and devour those who fall into sin. The man sleeping with his father's wife was unrepentant, and the Church took no measures. This is not the case here.

We all do that, my friend, to some degree or another. The world is simply waiting for a misstep on our part.

On the contrary, I am not the one with a singular focus of condemnation. For the time, I am content to see how this unfolds, and we will not know, I believe, for years to come.

Again, this can have a positive effect on the man, the marriage, the congregation, and even those aware of the situation.

Think of the many believers who were exceedingly sinful before salvation, and the glorious results of salvation to where they become useful ministers. Do you think at salvation a man or woman becomes sinless, and if they sin after salvation...throw the Book at them?

It's fortunate for us that God does not treat His children with such a lack of compassion.

Precisely.

So why would you?

God bless.

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not completely relevant, in that deals primarily with election to office.

If anyone is at fault in regards to this passage, it would be the leadership that appointed him.

And after taking office, if one fall into the snare of the Devil (and that is what we would think happened) and reproach (this has certainly happened), then I would think this...

King James Version (KJV)

6 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

...is not only more relevant, but a warning to us all as to how we handle those who have fallen:

King James Version (KJV)

It is this type of situation which we should approach with fear and trembling, lest we too, after having set forth judgment upon another...also fall.

God bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.