1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured TV Star Turned Baptist Minister

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Mar 3, 2012.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How? I've put Paul's words concerning leadership, men and women in context...I didn't introduce other elements like apostleship, feminism, and lack of respect from a modern day western viewpoint.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :applause::applause::applause::applause:

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    correct webdog:applause::applause:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And Iconoclast saw my church where the women were silent, right?? The women were shoved into a corner and made to be subject to the men. They were under the men's thumbs and were very suppressed. :smilewinkgrin:

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Annsni...

I know. Why are you choosing to do that.

I have posted scripture that makes clear that in both the old and new covenant periods WOMEN where in positions of leadership roles.

Why do you cast the scripture aside to hold to the traditions of men?

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    She knows that Paul was clear 1 tim 2:11-14.....and that your post was false, and in direct disobedience to God's word.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There are no women in Scripture that are in position of leadership roles. You have shown me none. :) You have shown me women who have served - I agree that women serve. You have shown me women who prophesied - I fully agree that women can prophecy. But you have not shown me one example of a woman pastor in Scripture.

9. Alive in Christ

Ann...

Yes. I have

You are in denial.

Do you remember the old TV show Hogans Heros?

The character Schultz?

:wavey:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Prophets are leaders in a local church? Servants are leaders in the local church? Everyone who shares the gospel is a leader in the local church? ?You hold to a strange definition of leadership and have proven absolutely nothing.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

NIV
    12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
    13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

American standard
    12 But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man, but to be in quietness.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve;
    14 and Adam was not beguiled, but the woman being beguiled hath fallen into transgression

NLT

12 I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly.
    13 For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve.
    14 And it was not Adam who was deceived by Satan. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result.

Seems they all read the same God doesn't permit women to teach men, that would mean if she is a Pastor men should be banned from the church.
    God's order Man was created as the head and is to be the Spirtual leader and teacher of men.
    Not what any of us say what the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to say. Unless now you wish to challenge the inspiration of Scripture and that is where you will need to challenge the writer the Holy Spirit.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the OP church is affiliated with the National Baptist Convention (E.V. Hill's denomination).

Oh, and the anointed future president of the SBC comes from the National Baptist tradition:

New Orleans Pastor Poised to Lead Southern Baptist Convention

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right and IMHO it is those churches who try to limit God to their own understanding. Very gently said.

14. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1 Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

NIV
    12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
    13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

American standard
    12 But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man, but to be in quietness.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve;
    14 and Adam was not beguiled, but the woman being beguiled hath fallen into transgression

NLT

12 I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly.
    13 For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve.
    14 And it was not Adam who was deceived by Satan. The woman was deceived, and sin was the result.

I am just glad the Holy Spirit through Paul gave real precise instructions on this one.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :) I actually disagree with your view on this, but that was a good reply.

16. Alive in Christ

:laugh::wavey::thumbs:

17. mandym

mandym New Member

The main difference here is the worldly view, coming from the theological left, of bigotry and oppression. In the worldly view not being able to do the exact same thing proves bigotry. In the view of God different roles do not meet such a description.

18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

When one performs eisigesis verses exigesis the same thing happens. One's bigotry comes out when eisegesis is performed. One doesn't want to accept what scripture says so they bend it to meet theirs and call those who see scripture as written bigots, when in fact one is calling God a bigot.

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was noted earlier all the different situations that Jesus ignored the "customs" of the day as He related to the women.

Seems to me that if He wanted to really show off and make "women's lib" :)smilewinkgrin:) the order of the day - as some here want to do to bring the scriptures up to the 21st century - He had the perfect opportunity and chutzpah to add pastoring to their future duties; which He obviously DID NOT DO!

This whole fiasco seems akin to the women's lib mantra that "anything a man can do, a woman can do better"!

Just one more lil nugget that the end is rapidly approaching as apostasy is growing by leaps and bounds.

MARANATHA

20. mandym

mandym New Member

No they are not. These are the types of statements that are not helpful in a discussion. They have no intent in calling God anything.