1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Two baptisms: Which is which?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Apr 1, 2013.

1. evangelist-7

evangelist-7 New Member

Hey, Cass, why don't you enlighten us as to which is the ONE baptism?

Baptism into the church (salvation) --- the Holy Spirit is the baptiser
    “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body (the church)
    … and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 12:13)

Baptism in water (symbolic demonstration of faith) --- man is the baptiser

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

Is the Holy Spirit the baptizer or is Jesus the Baptizer?

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God says, in His word, there is only ONE baptism. You either believe Him or your think He is a liar. I believe Him. The ONE and ONLY baptism is the one commanded in the Great Commission. Water baptism of the believer as a testimony of his participation in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.

I take God at His word. Try it, it will change your life!

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah! Now I see the problem! :D :D

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

Just curious...do you believe water baptism saves you?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you?

what do you view it as being?

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

THis proves you do not read my post! I have stated my stand on this!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have ANY NT verse that tells us to seek the baptism other then water baptism?

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

Can I ask a question...
    Can a child ask his father for something before he is born?
    That is a yes or no question...

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not the same, for there are NO verses in the NT that tells us to seek the baptism other then by water!

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Can you not answer a yes or no question??????
    We are told to ask for the HOly Spirit!

"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:11-13)
    Jesus gives examples of a son asking his father for a gift, and then He says that "your Father" will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask. In other words, if you are a Christian, a child of God, then you can ask your Father for the Holy Spirit. First you must be saved (at which point God becomes your heavenly Father - see John 1:12-13, Galatians 3:26, and 4:4-7), then you can ask for the Holy Spirit. But remember, when we become saved we automatically receive the indwelling Holy Spirit, we don't have to ask for Him! Yet Jesus says that God will give the gift of the Holy Spirit to those who ask for it. This gift, therefore, is not salvation (because we do not become saved by asking God for the Holy Spirit), but instead this gift is what the Bible calls the "baptism" of the Holy Spirit for receiving spiritual empowerment.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you read?

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

Can you answer a question??

14. awaken

awaken Active Member

Someone ask if I could show where the disciples received the indwelling Holy Spirit.....
    On the day of Pentecost the Holy Spirit was poured out on the disciples in a great demonstration of supernatural power (Acts 2:1-4). There was the sound of a violent wind, visible tongues of fire, speaking in tongues, and powerful evangelism which resulted in roughly 3000 people being saved that day (Acts 2:41) and many more being saved or healed after that (Acts 2:43).

However, there was an earlier event which needs to be examined, because it has a significant impact on the study of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. If you recall, before Pentecost Jesus told the disciples that in a few days they would be "baptized" with the Holy Spirit:

""For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. ... you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight." (Acts 1:5, 8-9)

Notice that immediately before Jesus ascended to heaven, He told the disciples that they will be baptized with the Holy Spirit in a few days. Now take a look at what Jesus said to the disciples on Resurrection Sunday (which was forty days earlier, according to Acts 1:3):

"On the evening of that first day of the week [Resurrection Sunday], when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."" (John 20:19-22)

Notice that the disciples received the Holy Spirit on the day that Jesus was resurrected, which was almost a month and a half before they were filled with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost!

Why did the disciples have two separate experiences of the Holy Spirit like that?

Some denominations say that the disciples received the Holy Spirit on Resurrection Sunday as a partial filling in anticipation of their salvation at Pentecost, and that it was for the purpose of empowering them for their ministry. So the mainline view tends to be that the disciples were empowered on Resurrection Sunday and that they were saved at Pentecost.

Others tend to say just the opposite, that the disciples were saved on Resurrection Sunday and empowered at Pentecost.

Just enough to get you thinking......

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To quote you:
    Again, can you read?

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

I did read you post and went back and re read it! I still can't figure out how you come up with water baptism being the only baptism when it is the "one baptism" that brings us into the body of Christ? SO if you believe the one baptism is water???????

There were people saved (believed) and water baptized but did not have the Holy Spirit!

17. awaken

awaken Active Member

Sorry I posted this on the wrong thread!

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

You are digging a hole for yourself with your falsehoods.

The focus of this and other discussions with you has been whether or not the HS baptism is separate from conversion and whether tongues is evidence of it. I have clearly and irrefutably shown by scripture in context that the answer to both is no.

You and other charismatics build an entire system and entire denominations on misinterpreted scripture. It has been proven on the mission filed that tongues-talk is no language at all. In local charismatic churches, it functions as the gateway to the tribe where all jabber away in nonsensical, meaningless gibberish.

Funny and strange isn't it, how your doctrine was suddenly rediscovered just 113 years ago, and the churches in the preceding 1900 years had to do without the "full gospel". :rolleyes:

It is you who is holding on to doctrines of men, namely, Charles Parham and William J. Seymour.

#78 Thomas Helwys, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  19. awaken

awaken Active Member

This thread is not about tongues are any of the manifestation of the Spirit. So you are wrong on that account! YOu judgement of me is wrong! The reason I get on threads that are so against what I have come to learn through scripture is because it makes me dig deeper into the word! I am challenged more...questioned more! I wish it was just over scripture instead of personal attacks! But I can not control that! Most here get upset if you do not embrace THEIR interpretations and start to be critical of the person. I thought you were going to be different????
    I do not get offended easily! I would have left here a long time ago...because there is very little love on this board! But at least I am challenged here!

Well, you have never really read my take on tongues..because I have always said tongue is a language, just one the speaker himself did not learn. What you like most deny here is what Paul says tongue is ...speaking to God/praying in the spirit/ blessing with the spirit.

Funny and strange isn't it that Jesus intended it to be forever until he returns! But the church was taught lies and unbelief concerning this! NO! I hold to the doctrine of the apostles!

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

Lets take a closer look at water batism...or what the Bible calls John's baptism

John's water baptism was voluntary. People chose to be baptized:

"John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River." (Matthew 3:4-6)

John's baptism was voluntary, and it was not a requirement for salvation. Notice that John's baptism was not considered to be a Christian baptism because in Ephesus the apostle Paul rebaptized people who had only had John's baptism:

"While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John's baptism," they replied. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 19:1-5)

It appears that John's baptism was more like OT baptism...They were to believe on the one coming AFTER John...Jesus!

So Is water baptism (John's baptism) and Spirit baptism the same?
    I ask this question earlier and it was not answered...but were the apostles baptized in water after John's baptism? OR were they just baptize by Jesus (Holy Spirit) on the Day of Pentecost (no water involved)?