1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two goodbyes....hard weekend for me.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Aug 9, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tonight I went to the hospital at the request of a friend. My “Sunday School” leader has cancer and was given “at least” two years a couple of months ago. Three weeks ago he had back pain and a tumor was discovered on his spine. Today that “two years” was changed to “you may make it through the night.” He called in the class and asked that we come to the hospital so he could say his “goodbyes.” He is paralyzed from the waist down, in consistent pain, but very welcoming and loving towards us. We had a good fellowship at his bedside.

This man is the most godly man I know. He is not the most theologically correct. He is not the most educated. He is not the most knowledgeable of Scripture. But he has a heart for the gospel and sharing it with people. He welcomes edification and companionship. He is at peace and is ready to leave this world. He is the most Christ-like man I know, and as I told him tonight I formed this opinion years before he was diagnosed with cancer.

I understand the desire to discuss things here on the BB. I also have a need to discuss my faith, and I have gravitated here out of a lack of opportunity elsewhere. I will miss being able to talk of my faith, but perhaps this has also become a distraction in my life (an easy way to do what I should be doing in the “real world”). I do not know why, but I believe any advantage of discourse here has passed. My friend did not rely on his own understanding (something I believe to be foreign to many on this board and often a struggle with me). But his love for people and his love for Christ humbles me. I have placed too much emphasis on “theological correctness” at the expense of Christ-likeness.

I wish for you all to be able to look beyond the trees and see the forest. Sure, the trees are important. But if you cannot recognize the existence of the forest, then your tree is pretty much irrelevant. I wish for you all to be able to move from knowing about Christ and leaning on that knowledge to a point where you know Christ and He is shown through your lives. I wish both of these for me also.

I've been here for over a decade and realize that goodbyes here are a dime a dozen - I know mine is no different. I offer no words of discouragement to others here - no criticism of how the BB is run, or how people treat each other. But I offer a goodbye to those I’ve had the pleasure of “meeting.” Thank you to all who have added to my knowledge and corrected my error. Thank you all for your “fellowship” and putting up with my ignorance on some subjects and my “humor” on others. I hope that God will bless you as you continue to take up your cross, kill the sin in your lives, and become more and more like the image of Christ.

God bless and take care. :wavey:

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are leaving the BB?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I will miss your posts. You have a gift of teaching and are a patient man. Moreover, you have a thorough understanding of scripture, both theoretical and practical. You will be missed here.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Sorry to hear you are leaving. Hope the best for you. Maybe you can make it a long needed break.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Will be praying for you and all those around you Jon. Your heart has always shined through even when we have disagreed. I will continue to pray God's love and favor upon you Brother.:1_grouphug:

6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

You will be missed, but I can understand your reason(s) for doing so.

Your friend needs you much more than we at BB do--not that I didn't enjoy your posts, because I did. Your friend needs your personal, face-to-face attention, which is something BB can't provide for any body.

Also, you yourself need some down time as well. It's good not only for your own body, but also for your soul & spirit.

I agree with you that sometimes we all may get our spiritual priorities mixed up. While theological correctness is an admirable character attribute, like Paul in 1 Corinthians 13, if we spend all of our time attempting to maintain theological correctness and don't have a real love for the people to which God wants us to minister, we lose the most human important aspect of Christian living--loving our brothers & sisters around us.

As King Saul's son Jonathan told David as they departed from each other in 1 Samuel 20:18, "You will be missed when your place at the 'table' is empty."

May God bless you and your ministry to you friend. :thumbsup: :wavey:

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am truly sorry to read about your loss of a good friend and mentor! Finding someone who means so much to us is often a difficult enough thing to do, but to lose them is even more heart wrenching! Please know that you and your teacher's family and friends will be in my prayers! More importantly, I pray that his physical suffering come to an end.

As for you, like others have already said, you will be sorely missed! May God go with you and enlighten your every footstep on that narrow path! Shalom my brother! :flower:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, you have been a joy to talk with & debate....and your commentary was appreciated & will be missed. Dude pretty much stated my sentiments also.

bottom line....Go With God!

...and God Bless you & family! :jesus:

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon C- No words will seem adequate. I am sorry for your loss of your friend, truly.

I will miss your participation here. Were I to be selfish, I would tell you that I hope that your absence were a short one, but I understand.

Cheers.

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon,

Grace and peace. May the Lord richly bless you as you redeem the time.

11. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Jon,

I enjoyed reading your posts and you were always a good example for the rest of us in how you interacted with others here. You will be missed. :tear: