1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Two Interesting Questions About Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Feb 16, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The other day, someone asked me two questions that I had no idea how to answer.

1. When did Jesus in human form first realize He was God?

2. Do you have any opinion about what Jesus did between age 12 and 30?

The first one at first seems like He always knew from birth (of course He did before that), but started wondering if He had to develope to a certain point. It is obvious He knew at age 12.

The other question, I have never read anything on it, but have any of you all?

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

We know Jesus was forever without sin, that in and of itself gives some insight. Was he as a young boy "humanly conscious" of who he was? I don't know for sure, but pressed, I would say yes. We do see his "humananity" displayed when he petitioned the Father to "remove this cup". The marriage of the divine and humanity in the person of Christ will forever be one of those mysteries of our faith.

3. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Would not Mary and Joseph tell him when he was humanly able to understand? I would think so. I forgot who the Christian comedian was, but my son was telling he said that James and Jesus were together in a room and something got broke and James said, Jesus broke it. Mary said, James, you know better than that. Anyway, forgive my attempt at humor, but isn't it amazing that God never tells us everything, but He always tells us what we need to know. At 12, Jesus was about His Father's business. I have to believe His knowledge of the Father started well before that. The fact is that Jesus, by His own admission, always did those things that please the Father. I am sure that means in childhood as well.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd wonder why the questions.

5. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Good questions. But I don't think we can know the answers.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Aaron, Wednesday night we have a ministry that comes by and picks up children from homes that are basically disfuncitional, ie parents in jail, swapping partners, and drugs, etc. The church has snacks and a Bible study for them during prayer meeting. This particular night we were having a spaghetti fundraiser, and the kids put on a play. One of the older ones asked the question before we went home. I believe the question was thought of by the fact that the play centered around the story of Jesus at age 12.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course I can only guess if Scripture does not speak to it, but I'd think He knew at conception.

He probably used His time wisely.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Without a doubt.

9. quantumfaith

Because made us inquisitive.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.

51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

11. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt New Member

Joe Dirt

Isaiah 7: 14&15
    "therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive,and bear a son,and shall call his name Immanuel. Butter and honey shall he eat,that he may know to refuse the evil,and choose the good."
    close as I could come. Be Blessed.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Personally, I believe He knew He was/is God when He was laying in the manger.

Though scripture is silent, I tend to believe He lived like other chidren/men did during that time, yet He was God all along.

Could Jesus the man, need to learn things? I am like the rest on here, somethings are just waaaaaay past our pay scale.

13. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Imo as Jesus was growing up and by him being perfect and without sin he had a natural inclination toward the things of God. I also think sometime in his youth God spoke to him straight out of heaven when he was alone as he did on the occasion when God said, this is my beloved son, hear ye him.

14. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Well, If Joseph was a carpenter, then Jesus would have, around age 12, began official apprentice duties such as roughing stock down to size with hand tools, then learned the skills to make useful things...Or, more likely, since the word often translated "carpenter" most likely simply means "builder"...He was more likely to be a stone-worker, since most buildings were made of stone back then...

Either way, He probably eventually took over his father's work, since it is likely from his lack of mention int he Gospels that Joseph died some time before Jesus' ministry began. If so, He sold all his pieces at a fair price to provide for his mother, and probably gave a few away. :thumbsup:

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) At conception.
    2) OJT for human being skills.

HankD

16. JohnDBaptiste

JohnDBaptiste Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All we can go on is the little information that we have.

Jesus at times did not know things that omniscient God would know. The woman in the crowd who was healed of the blood issue Jesus said "Who touched me?" not "You touched me."

As to the cry in Gethsemane "if there be any other way..." or on the cross "why hath thou forsaken me?" were the full expression of human emotion (rather than ignorance) IMHO. Both in scripture to emphasize Jesus is indeed fully human as well as being fully God. Also in the former it is to be as a proof text to all who believe there are many ways to God / salvation. We point to the agony of Jesus in prayer who himself asked the question if there be ANY... A N Y other way... spare me this cup... and the answer from heaven was silence.

Then we can show the skeptic that it is miraculous and divine compassion and patience that there even is any way to be saved at all.

Back to the OP:

1 Corinthians 15:45 gives us a clue about Jesus' humanity. He was the last Adam. Apparently he was the same kind of human Adam was before the fall of sin. Adam [could] sin. Obviously. Which is evident by the fact that he [did] sin.

Could the last Adam have sinned?

The most basic definition of sin being: "not God's way..." (there being only two ways in the universe and eternity: God's way and not God's way)... it would have to be a possibility that in his flesh the man Jesus could have chosen to go his own way.

We sinners by birth sin because we are already evil (by nature). The first Adam was not evil by nature or otherwise until he sinned the first time. So if we are to evaluate the possibility of the temptations of Christ (Hebrews 4:15) accurately we must remove the element of evil usually associated with temptation or initial sin. The evil is a result of sin, not a cause of sin in the initial sin.

The three temptations of the devil to Jesus were aimed at getting the man Jesus to disqualify himself as the kinsman redeemer. If the last Adam fell like the first Adam, there could be no redeemer. But having failed in the first two temptations Lucifer went for broke trying to so repulse and outrage the man Jesus over the thought of his actually bowing down to worship the devil that he would fly off the handle and destroy the devil / sent him to his final abode (whichever that would be) and disqualify himself as humanity's kinsman by invoking his own abilities of deity.

That is the epitome of hate. To hate God and humanity so much to no longer care what personal end Lucifer would have.

When did Jesus have the knowledge of his deity?

Psalm 22:9 (NIV)
    9 Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother’s breast.

IMHO Jesus went through the typical things of being a boy and young man up to his commission at age 27-ish.

17. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

But yet without sin?

18. JohnDBaptiste

JohnDBaptiste Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4:15 (NASB95)
    15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

19. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're making a dangerous stretch to say that Jesus didn't know who had touched him because of the question. In Genesis 3, God asked "Adam, where are you?" Was his question also because He didn't know? I think Jesus' question was more a way of getting her to admit that she was the one who had touched Him.

Back to OP, Obviously Jesus knew He was God at age 12 at the Temple when He corrected Mary about who His Father was.

We are getting into the mystery of Jesus being fully God and fully man when we start trying to figure out some of these questions.

20. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: