1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Two Interesting Questions About Jesus

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Feb 16, 2013.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe He knew at conception who He was.
    I believe Jesus must have been an extraordinary child. He was most likely teaching others as He grew. He was a Carpenter but I don't think He had to learn this from Joseph. Being God How could Joseph teach God anything?
    I can only imagine not that I didn't wonder if He had to learn. Then I thought how can God learn what He already knows.
    MB

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

TB, I don't necessarily think it is a "dangerous stretch", given that the intent of question is one desiring to know truth as opposed to "questioning truth". Life gets "difficult" when we lean to Hard one way or the other, such as toward literalism. It is true, when judged against the "omniness" of our God, we would have to say, of course he knew. One could also ask with intellectual honesty as to whether in some circumstances that God could or would limit himself. I am not advocating such, just acknowledge it is not an unreasonable thing to be inquisitive about.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point about the dangerous stretch was not about the original question but about whether Jesus knew who touched Him.

I think it is reasonable to ask a question and think about it.

For me, I'd rather lean toward being literal in the Scripture bearing in mind that the Bible does use figures of speech.

4. JohnDBaptiste

JohnDBaptiste Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The common misconceptions about Jesus is making him too much of what he wasn't... he is all the Bible says he is. But when we go off script(ure) and try to figure out how much he knew, was he going by any of his divine attributes, or was he going by his humanity (to be our kinsman redeemer by truly being our kinsman).

Luke 2:52 (KJV)
    52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

If he was merely God the Word in a human suit or a flesh glove how could he increase in wisdom?

The stature part, I get. He started from the humble beginnings of a carpenter's family. But surely he would have been recognized from earliest infancy (putting all child prodigies to shame) unless there was to be a greater emphasis on his humanity and kinship to humanity than just a theophany type experience.

Jesus had to live as a man, grow as a man, learn and gain wisdom and stature like a man as a man... I do not believe this was being so much oblivious of his deity at any moment but rather aware through his human senses and psyche (soul).

But, only the one who asks him and he answers knows for sure. Till then we can only speculate.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: