1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two sides of the same coin!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro Tony, Sep 2, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

RE: Two sides of the Same coin! Part Three

I shall try, for at least the fourth time in conversations with you. I'll emphasize to help see clearly and attempt to type slow, although I cannot type much slower than I do to begin with. The OP asked for "examples of two things that are not the same but can be similar in many ways".
    And one of my response was you quoted above. How much clearer is it possible to be? We'll start with "repent". Some form of "repent" occurs over 100 times in Scripture, even leaving out the three KJV mistranslations of the Hebrew "shub" (or "shuv") which should be translated "turn" or "return", and which the RV, Darby, ASV and YLT correctly translate. The word "shuv" is found hundreds of times, according to something I read once, but as I do not speak or read Hebrew or Aramaic, I am at the 'mercy' of the translators and scholars who do, especially Mr. Strong. There are three basic Greek words primarily associated with this subject, two verbs and one noun. But one thing one does does NOT find in Scripture, in the KJV, RV, or ASV, search as one may, are the words "Repent of (your) sin(s)". These words are simply not there! Why? Because, as I also have already said at least three times, repentance is not directed 'towards' sin, but is rather "repentance towards God" (Acts 20:21) and it is "repentance from dead works" (Heb. 6:1). Repentance is not sorrow for sins, and although one could (and should) be sorry that one has sinned, for Scripture says that "Godly sorrow works (or results in) repentance unto an irrevocable salvation, but the sorrow of the world results in death." (II Cor. 7:10). Most of the 'misconceptions' that I have listed above are nothing more or less than imports from the asthetic teachings dragged into the Medieval Roman Catholic Church and it's teaching of 'penance' which has been dressed up in "the Emperor's new clothes", which is nothing more than all "his pot-bellied nakedness", as one put it. And the great majority of Christianity has unfortunately turned a blind eye to what Scripture is actually teaches about subject, choosing to buy into a doctrine cut from whole cloth, rather than the one taught by Scripture. In short, as I previously said "Repentance does not concern sin, per se".

#21 EdSutton, Sep 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2006
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

RE: Two Sides of the Same Coin! Part Four

Now we move to the second thing; "Make Christ (or Jesus) Lord of your life!" Again, one cannot find these words or even this idea anywhere in Scripture, to "make" Jesus anything! (And if my memory is not failing me, Scripture is where we are (supposed to be) looking!) To 'more or less' quote ('more or less', simply because it has been several years, and I do not have this written down at my disposal) quote someone I'll call 'Mike', about this, he said this:
    I agree with this summary, as when I said "God done beat you to the punch." Straight- you and I, (as well as you and others) have had this conversation before. But again, and once again what does Scripture say?
    "I AM the LORD, your God..."
    David said, "The LORD said unto my Lord..."
    Jesus, Himself, said, "You call me Master (Teacher) and Lord: and you say well; for so I am."

The crucified thief said, "Lord! Remember me when You come into Your kingdom!"
    Thomas said, "My Lord and my God!"
    Peter said, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."
    Luke wrote: "(He is
    Lord of all:)"
    Paul says -

And John saw and wrote:

#22 EdSutton, Sep 8, 2006
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

RE; Two Sides of the Same Coin! Part Five

So I'll repeat for now, at least the fourth time, "NO! I do not believe that anyone can "make Jesus Lord of your life!", for He already is Lord of all, and Lord of Lords.
    To use a flawed illustration, I cannot make George W. Bush, my President because I suddenly 'decide' to do so. It would be near the height of arrogance, not to mention insulting to the office, to be able to approach the President of the US, as a citizen of this country, and announce, "I choose, today to make you my President, Mr. Bush! Now you can be President Bush!" Granted I had some small part in the election of every President since 1968, in that I voted for someone. Sometimes, my choice was elected President, sometimes my choice was not. Nevertheless, I did vote, and hence had a small part in the process. But were I to have told any of the individuals who were elected to that high office that they were not President, because I did not vote for them, would be ignorant and arrogant, to the nth degree, and had I made that remark, I should have deservedly been "raked over the coals" for the insolence, and "ego trip" exhibited.
    How much more egotistical, arrogant, rebelling, insolent, despising, and cutting to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Isa. 63:10, Heb 10:26-31) is it to "address" Jesus, the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer of the entire universe, God the Son, - Son of El Elyon, El Shaddai, El Olam, El Gibbor, and among other titles, Adonai, - "Very God of Very God", - The One Who IS Lord, not only that, IS Lord of all, and further IS LORD OF LORDS, with the 'attitude' of "Let me show you what is really important! You did not do a good enough job, with all that!! I'll show you how to do it!! I'm going to "Make You Lord!!

What absolutely and completely unmitigated gall!!

And then we wonder why and how we "grieve the Holy Spirit"!

Ed

PS. Have I now expressed myself "CLEARLY"? Just wonderin'!

#23 EdSutton, Sep 8, 2006