1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

two types of salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ray Marshall, Oct 3, 2008.

1. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

The Bible teaches two types of salvation. Time salvation and eternal salvation. Some believe that if you don't accept the LORD as many preach, then you are doomed to hell.

The verse in 11 peter3: 9 The LORD is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness, but is longsuffering to usward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (A timely salvation.) Some preachers uses this text to surswade men to come to Jesus, or be damned to Hell.
    However let's look at John 10,:26,27,28. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27, MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE, AND I KNOW THEM, AND THEY FOLLOW ME:
    verse 28 AND i GIVE UNTO THEM ETERNAL LIFE: AND THEY SHALL NEVER PERISH: NEITHER SHALL ANY MAN PLUCK THEM OUT OF MY HAND.
    jOHN 10: 26, 27, 28. is enernal salvation.
    What say ye of these two salvations?

2. IFB Mole

IFB Mole New Member

Not 2 salvations, 2 prespectives of the same salvation. One from our human perspective (bound in time) , the other from a Divine or eternal perspective (not bound by time).

There is only ONE salvation and that is by GRACE through faith by means of the new birth, "ye MUST be born again".

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is ALL of God. Sadly, men want an outward act (so they can cound numbers??) or some prayer or some day/time.

God's working is internal and the outward results (after salvation) will be evidenced in a new life.

God saves us. We don't "do" salvation; we are the recipients of grace.

4. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Hay, I agree with you. It is by GRACE. Unmerited favor given by GOD. Your point is made, but that still remains of two types of salvation.

5. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

We are the recipepients (?) of grace, yes., all that time salvation does is keeping us from error throughout out present life here. Time salvation does not save us eternally. I think I explained that as correctly as possiable

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't see the 2 salvations here. It is being contrasted with "perish" so that seems to be eternal salvation.

7. mark1

mark1 New Member

You can lose the "joy" of your salvation through "disobediance".
    Example, being called to preach or some ministry and refusing to go, such as Jonah.

Psa 51:12
    Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me [with thy] free spirit.
    Isa 12:3
    Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation.
    Isa 12:4
    ΒΆ
    And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted.
    Isa 12:5
    Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this [is] known in all the earth.
    Isa 12:6
    Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great [is] the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you explain what you mean by this?

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed

in Peter

in John

These two phrases refer to the same thing.

#9 Gold Dragon, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sounds similar to Millennial Exclusion. :eek:

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am watching the development of thinking here. If it even has the stink of the ME heresy, those embracing such will be on the outside looking in. We have a "no tolerance" policy for cultic/false teaching on the BB. :(

12. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is only ONE Salvation.

That Salvation is available in Jesus alone.

That Salvation is by Grace alone, thru Faith alone.

That Salvation is sufficient for both time AND eternity -- ALL time and eternity.

Along with Amy G., this sounds suspiciously similar to "Millennial Exclusion."

JDale

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm curious: Grace alone through faith alone? I'm not sure thats right. Grace alone certanly. Faith is a responce to that Grace and does not exist without that Grace. The mechanism to salvation is Grace Belief is just the only reasonable responce to that Grace. You can't have two alones. Thats like saying the lone rangers. You can't really have two lone rangers.

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: The distinctive odor of ME is filtering through the lines.

peace to you:praying:

15. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you trying to play devil's advocate again? Because the 5 solas are a pretty well known summary of the reformation.

16. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Not willing that none should perish.
    Heres simular to some of the preaching that so seem to present.

"Now the lord has done all he can do and sinner, it's up to you. You may not ever have another chance after this mornings message has been preached, you know that in John it says to them that as many as received him to them gave he power to become the sons of GOD, even to them that believe on his name: This is where many preachers stop because if they repeat the next verse which is still of the same sentence, No period after verse 12 of chapter, John 1: continue without a semicolan WHICH WERE BORN, NOT OF BLOOD, NOR OF THE WILL OF THE FLESH, NOR OF THE WILL OF MAN, BUT OF GOD. Where does man's will fit in that verse???? CHECT IT AGAIN.
    Now GOD doesn't want any one to PERISH. Which is preached as eternal salvation. PLEASE read ST. JOHN 1: 12, 13 again, and again, and again. and again and again

17. mark1

mark1 New Member

WHICH WERE BORN, NOT OF BLOOD, NOR OF THE WILL OF THE FLESH, NOR OF THE WILL OF MAN, BUT OF GOD.

The scripture is simply saying to those that "received" Him, these things happened to them. It is saying you cannot inherit salvation, through blood inheritance.
    WHICH WERE BORN, NOT OF BLOOD, NOR OF THE WILL OF THE FLESH, NOR OF THE WILL OF MAN, BUT OF GOD.

Salvation is of the Lord.

There is but one Lord of us all, therefore "one" salvation, which is in Christ Jesus.

18. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are not making a whole lot of sense. Maybe you've been reading those same two verses too many times. ;)

John 1:12,13 is a wonderful image of what it means to be spiritually born again as a child of God.

I'm also not sure what punctuation has to do with it. Remember that punctuation was added by translators to help us read the text and are not in the original languages.

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It sounds like this is a C&A thread. I guess that means hi and bye. :wavey:

20. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

[​IMG] Come now. Semantical games are evading the point I'm making. The Reformation clearly declared "Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone..." Splitting hairs does not serve any purpose.

JDale