1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two very important questions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by EdSutton, Jun 20, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I posted these two questions below, in answer to another's question. A fairly new poster (nunatak) asked me to start a topic on these -
    - so here is what I posted. (The 'original' argumentative question, and my two questions in response) The 'bold' is to emphasize the two questions, which is what is to be discussed, not yelling. (I find it both asinine and ridiculous that one has to actually make this disclaimer, but "Whatever!"):
    Before I answer this, let me ask a question. Were I an unsaved individual and asked you what is necessary for salvation, or 'how' one is saved, what would you tell me?

Let's ask those two questions:

1.) "What must I do to be saved?" Or what is necessary for one to have eternal (everlasting) life?

Answer: _________________________________________________

(Take as much space as you need. This is just happens to be the width my screen will allow me to print.)

2.) 'How' are we saved? In other words, by what 'method' or 'agency'?

Answer: _________________________________________________

(Same as above. Take as much space as you need.)

I'll await your response(s), so that we are not comparing apples and pickles. :)

Ed

#1 EdSutton, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

To question 1, I can think of three possible answers. First, sell all you have and give it to the poor. Second, repent, be baptized, receive the Holy Spirit. Last, confess with your mouth that Christ is Lord.

To question 2, I can come up with only one answer, grace alone.

3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

After thinking about it more, another question, shouldn't question 2 lay the foundation to question 1?

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most baptist I know follow the "Romans Road" for both these questions.

5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I have never heard of the Romans road.

6. Servent

Servent Member

#1John 3;16 Believe Christ is who He says He is.
    Acts3;19 Repent therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out.

#2 Through the blood of Jesus Christ
    Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood, and without shedding of blood is no remission.

#6 Servent, Jun 20, 2008
  7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From http://www.gotquestions.org/Romans-road-salvation.html

8. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Very good questions! Also these 2 question are the essential questions to the Christian. However, you'll likely get a number of different answers to these questions based on selecting one set of scripture over another. Nunatak gave a good range of the probable answers on question 1, but I believe that it call all be summed up in true repentance and belief. We have no reason to repent if we don't believe in Jesus. We don't truly believe in Jesus if we don't repent. Baptism and profession are fruits or evidence of our repentance and belief and are as equally important, but neither alone will save you.

Question number 2 is definitely by grace alone, through Christ alone.

9. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

This is the part of the Romans Road salvation that I have a problem with. We've reduced Christianity to "Did you say the prayer?" :tear:

Just once I would like godly men to finish with this... "Now if you said that prayer be assured that God will save you and here is how you will know that you are saved. There will be a permanent change in your life. Repentance isn't a one time thing, but a continual thing throughout your life. If you made a decision to follow Jesus Christ, if you made a decision to get saved, if it was genuine, it will last. If after a few weeks you go right back into the world, live like the world, act like the world, you didn't accomplish anything. You responded to an emotion and that's it. If you really got saved, it will last. And even if you try to run away, you won't be able to do it." And then point them to 1 John for assurance of salvation and to be prepared for the things that will be happening in their lives if they were truly saved.

#9 mparkerfd20, Jun 20, 2008
  10. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I gotta respond to your answer, what is wrong with living in the world? I mean I dont associate with Christians all day long I associate with people from all different walks of life just like when i am home and on the road to or from work. I dont live in a bubble filled with christians I unfortunately have to be part of the world. I know that the Lord still loves me and I know that I love the Lord, I dont try and make myself better than anyone else in fact most of my friends and acquaintenances I hang out with arent Christian thats not going to stop me or hinder me from what I believe. I believe that Christ died on that cross for my sins and for me its all about the Power of the Blood that was shed on that cross. Most of my friends know how I believe but I will not shove it down their throats I am a firm believer in to each his own plus I have actually witnessed to more people by just hanging out with them and getting down on their level then by shoving the gospel down their throats.

11. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

I think you totally missed the point. What was meant by living in the world was living in sin... continuing in sin in such a way that there's NO evidence of change in your life. :thumbs:

#11 mparkerfd20, Jun 20, 2008
  12. donnA

donnA Active Member

In the world, not of the world. We have to live in the world, but we do not have to be a part of the world and it's philosophy, it's system, the world's version of morals. But rather God's.

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually there is the whole James issue about works. Works should be the result of your salvation. Sure but that wasn't the point of the questions nor the "romans road."

14. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

True... works are the result of your salvation. However, the Roman's Road alone gives a false security based on "magic words" of a prayer and it's time we call a spade a spade. I do apologize for roaming off track of the questions asked by the OP, but the "Roman's Road" in and of itself doesn't answer the 2 questions sufficiently, because it leaves out repentance.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think the quote I had doesn't explain the repentance part of it. But usually when I hear it is included with the "sinners Prayer". I think repentance should be explained as well. What it actually means.

16. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

That's all I was saying. :thumbs:

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A prayer, in and of itself does not save.
    In response to the query of the Philippian jailor: "What must I do to be saved?"
    Paul answered:
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."
    He never mentioned one word of repentance.
    In most of the NT repentance is not mentioned where salvation is explained.

Not once in the New Testament is it ever commanded that one should repent of their sins in order to be saved. That is an unbiblical concept and is not taught in the Bible. In fact it is a "work" that is impossible from any man to do.

Are you able to remember all of the sins that you have ever committed, and then one by one repent of each one. That is what it means to "repent of all your sins." We often don't think of what we are saying. Why say what we don't mean?

Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
    --Here is Biblical repentance. It is not from all our sins, rather it is repentance toward God and at the same time faith toward Christ.

Repentance is a change of mind. It is a change of mind with respect to one's attitude toward God. Repentance says: Once my attitude toward God was one of rebellion. I repent. I change my attitude. Now my attitude towards God is one of submission and obedience to His will.
    Repentance is a change of direction: a change from a life of rebellion to God to a life of obedience to God.

It is the flip side of the same coin of faith. When I believe I repent. One cannot have true faith without repentance. If I have believed in Christ I have changed my mind toward God, and made him my master, my Creator, my Lord; and hence will obey him--which is repentance.
    The two are inextricably bound together. That is why Paul could answer the jailor:
    "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved."

18. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Perhaps you mean it isn't ever commanded as a direct response to a question of "what must I do to be saved".

This is a good definition of repentance.

And this is what was meant when I said, "We have no reason to repent if we don't believe in Jesus. We don't truly believe in Jesus if we don't repent."

19. Servent

Servent Member

Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God made this same Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.
    Act 2:37 And hearing this, they were stabbed in the heart, and said to Peter and to the other apostles, Men, brothers, what shall we do?
    Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ to remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then what was John the Baptist talking about?