1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Two Words For You

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ShotGunWillie, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Josh Hamilton

Two More Words

Milton Bradley

Two More Words

Texas Rangers

The Texas Rangers are now the exciting team they always had the potential of being. Bradley is on his best behavior and appears to be loving the game. Josh Hamilton is possibly the best baseball player in the game right now and actually witnesses to people concerning his salvation.

Its a good time to be a Rangers fan.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Rangers-Reds trade that sent Hamilton to Texas in exchange for Volquez actually helped both teams. Texas had to give up a little more as Cincy was loaded (still is) with OFs and needed P. Texas needed good SP but needed offensive pop as well. I know I'm biased, but I firmly believe the trade will help the Reds get to October quicker.

3. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

The trade helped out both teams tremendously.

Did you guys see Michael Young win another All-Star game?

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Two words from Cincy fans, recently:

"What's October?"

Ed

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If the Rangers had decent pitching, they could be a contender for the division. However, I believe the offense will fall off a bit in the 2nd half. For example, Kinsler has been fantastic, but he's hitting 70 points higher than his career average and I, for one, don't believe he'll keep up his current .337 average.

On sports radio the other day, somebody said that Josh Hamilton is doing what he's doing in a new league against pitching he hasn't seen before, implying that once he sees the pitchers a 2nd time, he'll do even better. However, I believe the exact opposite will happen, in that AL pitchers will figure out how to pitch to him. So, I expect a slowdown, but not so much that he won't get serious consideration for AL MVP.

And, who knows what Milton Bradley's going to do to sabotage his season. He's already gone after an announcer this year for supposed "negative statements" and I expect he'll probably have another meltdown before the season ends.

Michael Young continues to produce at his usual clip and if not for Evan Longoria's brilliance, I think David Murphy could be the AL Rookie of the Year.

In summation, your honor ;), I agree with the honorable OP that the Rangers have some very good players and their fans have something to look forward to.

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I would like to submit to you that Hamilton hasn't seen big league pitching in 3 years. Also, it is much much easier for a hitter to figure out a pitcher than a pitcher to figure out a hitter. If that wasn't the case, than explain the numbers Ryan Howard, A-Rod, and the like. There aren't as many good pitchers as there are hitters and pitchers loose their luster a lot faster than power hitters. How many power hitters fall in the line up or fall out off the roster all together? Not very many.

What Hamilton is doing this year is incredible, wait until next season, he will be the greatest player in the game.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Hamilton received all the hype that the Longorias, Bruces, A-Rods received coming out of HS. It could be that, now that he isn't battling drugs and booze, he's finally able to show his talent. My only question is will the damage these substances did to his body, keeping him a regular on the DL last year with Cincy, rear its head and shorten what could be a very promising career.

8. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Nope, cocaine just makes you stronger, ask Michael Irvin.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

He saw big league pitching just last season when he was at Cincinnati.

I'm highly skeptical of this statement.

There are a couple of other reasons that explain why Ryan Howard and A-Rod perform year in and year out. When a player with talent combines it with hard work, you see players like Howard and ARod put up big numbers every year. Hamilton will need more years of performance like this one, coupled with staying healthy, to be considered one of the superstars of the game.

#9 ccrobinson, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  10. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

IF and thats a big IF the rangers decide to keep Bradley, I think he will be a model citizen. There is a mutual love affair between Bradley, his coach and the rest of the team. I think the Josh Hamilton influence is working wonders on Bradley. I read an article in the Dallas Morning news back around the first part of the all star break talking about Bradley - they were saying that back around the first of Bradleys MLB career, he wanted to be a Jeter, A Rod type core person on the team and was not emotionally prepared for that type of role - The announcer incident aside, Bradley seems much more mature this year.

I personally hope the rangers keep bradley - there is much talk of trading him. I LOVE his patience at the plate and believe it or not his team first mentality. I have seen him take walks when he had chances to pump up his stats. He and Hamilton protect each other in the lineup.

As has been stated before, I have a huge mancrush on Josh Hamilton, and have since spring training. Washington is using him wisely - he plays quite a bit of right field and DHs every once in a while to stay fresh. A must in this heat.

Rangers have less than no pitching, they have some good prospects in the system after taking all of Atlanta's prospects in the Texiera trade - Feliz a very very young player in AA ball is throwing the ball over 100 mph - and the kid spots the ball - truly amazing.

My hope is that the rangers are selective sellers at the trade deadline, continue to stock up the minors and have a solid chance to compete next year.

This year has been fun - I saw the two wins over the Angels last week at the Temple - what a blast

11. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Is it not safe to say that all major league hitters work hard. You don't get the numbers they do by being lazy in the off season. I think that is a catch all for all players, but especially for the hitters.

Look at the first year phenom pitchers who crash the second year and are out of the league or #5 pitchers in a mediocre line up by their third season.

Good hitters don't fade that fast.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I didn't say that all major league hitters work hard. I agree with your second statement.

Of course they do. Here's just one example.

In 2007, Troy Tulowitzki hit .291, had a .359 OBP, hit 24 HRs, drove in 99 runs and scored 104 runs himself. In 2008, he's fallen off the face of the earth. Even when not on the DL, he was terrible.

13. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Was that a Brady Anderson type season, where he doesn't have good numbers then all of a sudden for one season he blows up and then fades out again.

That doesn't count.

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Many times I think the scouting catches up with the hitters - they figure out where the holes in the hitters swings are and unless the hitter adjusts, even the worst of the major league pitchers (read the rangers staff) can expolit those holes.

Look at a guy like Marlon Byrd - he had a great year last year, this year he has not fallen off a cliff, but his average is nowhere near where it was last year. I attribute that to the quality of the major league pitchers. Guys like Mike Young can cover those holes. I hope that Josh Hamilton will be able to - it is interesting to see how pitchers are now pitching him low and away almost all the time. Hamilton has shown the ability to go the other way all season - but will he continue to show that patience. Only time will tell

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, if an example serves to disprove your hypothesis, you get to dismiss it as not counting? No, sorry, it doesn't work that way. You made the statement that hitters don't fall off as quickly as pitchers do. I've provided one hitter who did, and you provided another. Thus, your hypothesis has been proven to be incorrect.

As do I, Jimmy.

I hope so, too. It's great to see guys who've been down and out like Josh come back to have fantastic season. This season he's having is one of the great things about sports, and one of the reasons we watch, to see what the ceiling is for somebody with his talent.

I believe that he'll get heavy consideration for AL MVP this year, if not win it outright.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think there's a middle ground here.

I see Jimmy's point. But CCRob is right. There are players who are mediocore, have a breakout season, then become mediocore again. That's different from someone who bursts onto the scene, puts up monster numbers for a few years, then becomes a perennial .230 hitter. Too soon to tell about Tulowitzki.

Chris Sabo was one of my favorite crash-and-burners. Although his fall wasn't as drastic as some, he went from RoY, to average, had a good couple of years, then wound up being just an everyday player. Being overshadowed by fellow LINF and Michigan alum Barry Larkin (who I saw inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame Saturday) didn't help.

17. sjeff1

sjeff1 New Member

Brady Anderson??? Now there's a name I haven't heard for a while. Where'd he go after he left the SnOrioles?

18. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

steroid rehab

19. sjeff1

sjeff1 New Member

Ewwwwww.........

No wonder.