1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Types of sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Sep 10, 2010.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I was reading in another thread on another subject and someone stated that people have "sins of commission, omission, intentional, and un-intentional" (not a literal quote)

Would someone give me some scripture that tells us we have sins of omission and sins that are un-intentional? I believe that this is nothing but made up theology adding to scripture. I do not know of a single person who God ever accused of sin where God told the person I know you did not mean to do this, but it is still sin. My contention is that all sin is willful and deliberate. No sin has ever been an accident. I will wait for the scripture reference on what I asked. Thank you.

#1 freeatlast, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Genesis 20:6. Abimelech was going to take Sarah as his wife. He honestly believed that Sarah was Abraham's sister. We are told in verse 6 that the only reason Abimelech didn't sin was because God kept him from acting upon it.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Matt that is a great passage and you proved my point. If you notice the Lord did not accounting to him a sin that he might have done., The passage says that Abimelech was acting in ignorance so the Lord Himself kept Abimelech from sinning. After God warns Abimelech he does tell him that God will kill him if he does not return Abrahams wife. So no one in this passage sinned and did not know it. In fact no sin was charged to Abimelech since he returned the woman.
    Here is what scripture says;
    James 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.
    You have to know, and once you do, and you continue it is sin. God has NEVER held anything against any person who does not know he is doing wrong.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

But we also know from the Scripture I provided that if God had not stopped Abimelech, it would have been sin. I don't see a promise that God will always stop us.

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Sins of omission:
    Matthew 25:44-46.
    I can't think of any scriptural reference to unintentional sin right now, but I have certainly committed them. (1) Lust. Many times I have looked too long at a pretty woman, only to realize later that I should not have done that. (2) Dishonesty. I have given people the wrong impression by telling them less than they had a right to expect from me, only later to realize I had misled that person. (3) Unkindness. Often in the heat of anger I have said unkind things to people that I have later needed to apologize for.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

While there is no direct promise made it does set a standard. Also there is not a single place in scripture that shows that anyone ever is claimed to have sinned when they did not first know of the wrong and then execute it willfully. So the questions remain. Why do we add to scripture to cause men to think that they sin more then they do? Jesus said this;
    Matt. 23
    Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
    For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay [them] on men's shoulders; but they [themselves] will not move them with one of their fingers.

Sin is accounted to him who knows to do good and does it not.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good, Zenas. free, do you really intend to lust or get angry? Those are simply acts of a sinful heart, and they're adultery and murder just as much as the outward act.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Friend here is the problem today. We no longer confess our sin. We come up with excuses to hide some of the guilt. You claim that you sin unintentionally. That is a crock and you know it. You intentionally looked, you miss lead people on purpose, and are unkind willfully. Willful sin does not have to be long planned sin. It can happen in a moment, but it is always done with intent. That is what we all are. No one ever committed a sin who did not first have thoughts on it.
    However personal testimonies are of little value unless they agree with scripture. So give me some scripture that agrees with your beliefs.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is so wrong! Yes we intend to lust and yes we intend to get angry! That is why we look or re-look and that is why we do not turn away but continue to argue. By the way not all anger is sin. Jesus never said that. Again this is an attempt to cover our sins. OH we have to learn to take full accountability and yet not claim something sin that is not. Listen to Jesus;
    Matt 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looked on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

This is a purpose clause. Notice it says look to lust. The reason for the looking is to lust. You want to please your eyes. This is not about simply running into some woman who is dressed immodest, and today there are many, and you see something that might tempt but you turn away. This is a look with intent. However if after you see her you continue to feed the thoughts through the eyes yes you sin, but that too is willful.
    However back to the questions;
    where do we get that we have sins of omission and sins that are un-intentional?

#9 freeatlast, Sep 10, 2010
  10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Sure, these were intentional acts. I didn't do them in my sleep. But they were not done with the intent to lust, mislead, or say hurtful things. And if it happens in a moment, it may well be done without immediately realizing it is sinful. By the say, I concur fully that we need to confess our sins rather than rationalize them.
    I can't agree and if you really think that, I'm not sure you're human. As humans we were born with the tendency to sin. If this were not so, we would never have do disciline our children. As saved persons, we have the Holy Spirit to guide our lives but we never lose the basic instinct of concupiscence. So yes, we can and do sin without realizing it until later.
    Well, we do have David and Bathsheba. David's acts of adultry and murder were intentional but it certainly looks like he didn't actually realize it until he had been confronted with what he had done.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are trying to make a case through and in yourself. That is dangerous. The bible says in Jer 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?

In other words yours and my hearts are so sinful we cannot even know our own heart.
    So instead of trying to make your point using yourself post some scripture of what you are saying show me someone who did not choose to sin? God has NEVER held anything against any person who does not know he is doing wrong.
    By the way you tried to use david. Please! You have to be kidding! Why do you think he had the husband killed? I see this continueally. Someone has a belief, a false belief and when it is confrontewd and they cannot find scripture to support it they either twist scripture and or deny clear scripture to hold onto the false belief.
    So again;
    where do we get the idea that there is sins of omission and sins that are un-intentional when all sin is willfully comitted?

#11 freeatlast, Sep 10, 2010
  12. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Maybe we could try to match sins to the levels of culpability in the Model Penal Code. I know it's not going to be a perfect fit, but maybe it can help clarify the issues.

A person acts purposefully if his conscious object is to cause a specific result.

A person acts knowingly if he is practically certain that his conduct will cause a specific result but does not hope for said result.

A person acts recklessly if he is aware only of a substantial risk of causing a specific result.

A person acts negligently if he is unaware of a substantial risk of causing a specific result of which he should have been aware.

In order to commit the sin of lying, I think a person must act at least recklessly.

13. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Are you sure? Then why do we have the Great Commission? Shouldn't we let all those sinners die ignorant so their sins won't be counted against them? If what you're saying is true, we should withdraw all our missionaries because by teaching them about sin we are condemning them to Hell.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think sins of omission would be covered here.

James 4:17 - Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

15. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lev. 4:2 "Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'If a person sins unintentionally in any of the things which the Lord has commanded not to be done, and commits any of them....." (emphasis mine)

The O.T. sacrificial system for sin offerings was based on unintentional sins. There was no sacrifice for intentional sins.

peace to you:praying:

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes there was.

Numbers 15:28 And the priest shall make an atonement for the soul that sinneth ignorantly, when he sinneth by ignorance before the LORD, to make an atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him.

Atonement must be made for all humans. Even babies need the blood of Christ for their sins of ignorance.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

People who do not hear the gospel still sin. They sin against their conscience. They know that they have done wrong at times. That makes them guilty. Thye know there is a God because of creation so they are accountable. You can read about it in Romans.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Amy great passages. I stand corrected.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Know thyself.

You don't think that your heart is corrupt, therefore you believe it can bring forth good things.