1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tyson calls it quites

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jun 14, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is, until he wants to make a little more bread. Then, like Leon Spinks, he'll climb back in against Joe Jabroney and get whupped again. But unlike Leon, he doesn't have a wise little bro to look after him. Leon's now capitalizing on his name, touring with a group of autograph-signing former star athletes. I don't know if that's an option for Tyson or not.

I was an amateur boxer myself, and I'm old enuff to remember Marciano. Ali was the best I'd seen at any weight until Tyson came along. He was at least as quick as Ali, but with more power. If they'd fought in their primes, I'd hafta pick Tyson, as Ali had never fought a veritable tornado like that. I just hafta wonder what woulda become of Tyson had Cus D'Amato lived?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

He won't have to worry about cooling off for awhile. Maybe if he stays in Phoenix for awhile he will get a better glimpse of what hell is like.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think he is done permenantly. Who wants to see him fight? He is deep in debt, I wonder what his creditors will do.

You were an amature boxer rob- thats pretty neat. Did you happen to watch any of the Contender on NBC?

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Every old pug thinks he's got just one more good one"-- by "Mick" in Rocky II.

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I can't say that I'm sorry to see him go.

He did more to damage the credibility of boxing than anybody in recent history.

I guess now he can go back to raping college students in his hotel room.

7. west

west New Member

After DeAmato died then Jimmy Jacobs died then Don King fired Rooney and the rest of Tysons corner he never was the same fighter .Tyson when he got into trouble never had a plan B !Then he hit low tried to brake arms and eat ears !

8. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I also boxed a while in college. Thought I was getting pretty good, till late in the third round a guy about killed me. He actually started in the first but I didn't realize it. Dad advised me to try something else. Good thinking.

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed that it was a sad way to finish off his career! He could have gone out as a champion, yet irrespective of how good he actually was, he will be remembered for the negative stuff.

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4His_glory: You were an amature boxer rob- thats pretty neat. Did you happen to watch any of the Contender on NBC?

I watched one early episode & the finale, & that was all. Usually, the phrase "reality show" turns me off, as almost all of'em are junk. IMO, none of those cats will actually be a contender is & until they learn to punch with power and in combos.

Guess I'll wonder if Tyson coulda made a successful comeback if he'd trained as hard as Marciano, Hagler, or J.C. Chavez useta do?

Another oldie who, IMO, shoulda stayed retired...RIDDICK BOWE. Great Scott, he still has lotsa money, a successful career away from boxing, the intelligence & know-how to be a good trainer if he wants to remain in boxing...but, most telling, he suffered a rather severe concussion several years ago, not to mention he's simply not a top-notch fighter any more, and hasn't been since before his first retirement.